Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2005 8:27:14 AM EDT
Hey all,
    I served in the Army Reserve 1986-1994, recieved and Honorable discharge.  The problem, I can not get a hold of any of my Reserve Records.  Everytime I request documents (such as DD214), all I get is my DD214 from Basic/AIT, nothing after.  The reasons I'm looking, is that I'm due the National Defense Service medal.  My unit, as many Guard and Reserve units were, was terrible dealing with records.  To make matters worse, not long after I left the service, the Army closed my unit along with many Reserve Artillery units.

I even had my Congressman check, he got the same records.  Can anyone point me in a direction?

Thanks,
Todd

P.S.  My copies of records were destroyed, so I want replacements.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
That may be all HRC has; have you tried to create an AKO account and see if there is anything on line?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I just tried to set-up an AKO account but they couldn't find my SS#.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't get a DD214 when you seperate from the USAR, you get a discharge order. Your 201 file should have been sent to:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Blvd
St Louis, MO 63132-5200

www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

You can get a copy of the actual 201 file if you ask for it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep - DD214 is Report of Seperation from Active Duty.  I did a year in the National Guard after my enlisted active service and prior to my commissioned active service.  I have a DD214 for the four years active, but my National Guard seperation document was the NGB22 - which I see as the NG equivalent of the DD214.  I'm not sure what document the Army Reserve uses for discharge.  If you were drilling after 2 Aug 1990, you should be automatically entitled to the NDSR.  If you were on IRR at the time, it might be a little different.  

I didn't enlist until 1992, and when we completed AIT, we automatically received the National Defense and Army Service Ribbons.  Both went on DD214s based on dates of service, no certificates were awarded.  

You may want to contact the state Reserve personnel office where you served.  When I left Active Army last spring after my commissioned service, the personnel shop on Schofield Barracks asked for a copy of my discharge from the National Guard.  I didn't have it available, because it had gone into storage with everything else that I owned when we deployed to Afghanistan, and my things weren't going to be delivered until after I'd cleared and returned home to the 1st CIV Div.  I called my state National Guard personnel office, jumped through a few hoops finding the right person, and was eventually connected with somebody who easily produced a copy of my National Guard Discharge Certificate.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:04:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I was active drilling until 11/11/92 when I went into IRR.  I'll use both ideas above.
Todd
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Just an update I have a copy of my complete records on their way from St. Louis.  As soon as they arrive, I can move forward.  Thanks again for all the help.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I just requested my records the other day.  said it could take up to 25 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just requested my records the other day.  said it could take up to 25 weeks.

I faxed my application.  I spoke with a girl a couple days later, she said they got my request and I would have my records by the 2nd week of February.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I requested a copy of my medical records and my "201" file.

I received it in two months.. almost to the day I dropped it in the mail box.

I wanted to get my medical records for the hearing test that was taken at the begining of my tour and my ETS hearing test...Now I can go on to file a VA claim for my hearing. Most of my records show me as Bradley Driver. that should help with the claim.

Very noisy sitting next to a cummings 500 and a 25mm shooting right above your head.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my records last week.  With the complete info in hand, I sent my request for my NDSM to Human Resources Command, we'll see how long it takes for a response.  Also sent for my Cold War Certificate, it is apparently a certificate for those in the military who fought the Cold War.

"On April 5, 1999 qualifying former and current service members and DoD civilians can apply for a certificate honoring them for their parts in winning the Cold War.

GENERAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
Persons are eligible for the recognition certificate if they have military or civilian service with the War, Navy or Defense departments between Sept. 2, 1945, and Dec. 26, 1991. "

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
if you are still in, go to your unit clerk. if not go to a recruiter.
give your name and social and have them check for you on iPerm. its a site with your records scanned in, Ive found a lot of stuff there for soldiers.
other ideas-there is a report called an RPAS- its a retirement point spreadsheet, if I remember right the ND ribbon is a "thanks for showing up" type. Rpas will show the dates.
 do you have a file of LES's? that'd help cover you also.

good luck, IM or email if you need anything else.
        Midwinter
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
if you are still in, go to your unit clerk. if not go to a recruiter.
give your name and social and have them check for you on iPerm. its a site with your records scanned in, Ive found a lot of stuff there for soldiers.
other ideas-there is a report called an RPAS- its a retirement point spreadsheet, if I remember right the ND ribbon is a "thanks for showing up" type. Rpas will show the dates.
 do you have a file of LES's? that'd help cover you also.

good luck, IM or email if you need anything else.
        Midwinter

I should be set for now, we'll see.  I'm proud of my time in the Army, and just want to have a solid record of  service.  It may be a "thanks for showing up ribbon", but I did more then just show up.  I trained my people hard for Desert Storm.  My unit did not get deployed, but we were ready.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top