BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It isn't.  There used to be "Correctional Custody" for 30 days, but that was limited to E-3 and below and was sort of a boot camp refresher thing.  Don't know if they still have that, or ever did except in the Navy.  In fact, I think I heard it was done away with.
View Quote

Army has it.  It's limited to E-3 and below, 7 days for company grade Art-15 and 30 days for field grade Art-15.

In reality, I can't remember the last time I heard of someone using it.  It's mostly just done in training units.

Strangely, AR27-10 even allows confinement on bread and water for 3 days for rank PFC and below, only if embarked on a vessel.

Most of the time, nonjudicial punishment was limited to additional duty, restriction and forfeiture of pay.  I can't remember anyone ever being confined unless they did something really stupid that ended up in court martial.  Those guys were confined pending the court martial, and if convicted, transferred to the inmate detention facility.  That happened to three people in units I was assigned to.

One was a total farce.  The other two were legitimate.

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, the pattern of misconduct thing, that changes the character of it all...

I had a troop who was being processed for multiple "no gos" on the weight control program.  He terminated a phone call with me with something to the effect of "F U, Sergeant."

I conducted a counseling session, he refused to sign, I notated the paperwork with "SM refuses to sign" and it was witnessed by another NCO.  The next morning, he showed up to apologize to me for the whole thing and I pulled the counseling form and shredded it.

Turns out, the platoon sergeant did a subsequent counseling on him and told him that would have established a pattern of misconduct which would have changed the terms of his separation.  I was glad to destroy the counseling because I didn't want to screw up the kid's life.

He just put me in a position where I had to do something or it would undermine me in front of the rest of the troops.  People undergoing admin separation need to be removed from their duty and given something else, somewhere else, to do so they aren't a cancer on the organization.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Army has it.  It's limited to E-3 and below, 7 days for company grade Art-15 and 30 days for field grade Art-15.

In reality, I can't remember the last time I heard of someone using it.  It's mostly just done in training units.

Strangely, AR27-10 even allows confinement on bread and water for 3 days for rank PFC and below, only if embarked on a vessel.

Most of the time, nonjudicial punishment was limited to additional duty, restriction and forfeiture of pay.  I can't remember anyone ever being confined unless they did something really stupid that ended up in court martial.  Those guys were confined pending the court martial, and if convicted, transferred to the inmate detention facility.  That happened to three people in units I was assigned to.

One was a total farce.  The other two were legitimate.

View Quote
I've never seen it imposed, and don't know of any posts that still have a CCF.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never seen it imposed, and don't know of any posts that still have a CCF.
View Quote

Yeah, me either, but it's still in the AR.  Last time I heard of anyone using it was in the 80s.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Fort Hood had a CCF in the 90s. You'd see those dudes wearing brown jumpsuits getting smoked. It was a couple of old WWII barracks. That was all demolished around 1997 or so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Marine Corps still has CCU at Camp LeJeune, out at Stone Bay. Nothing there but ranges and CCU.  I think they were shut down at one point, but live again!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Come on Dad, tell us what your son did to deserve his "time out"
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://i.gyazo.com/208b5ed251206c33d53f7b8bbe98403c.png

Come on Dad, tell us what your son did to deserve his "time out"
View Quote

I dont think dad knows. He knows what he was told, and views that info through rose colored glasses.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It took a while for the moron to show up. This is why you NEVER make ASS-UMPTIONS. Before you assume...learn the facts. Before you judge...understand why. Before you speak...think.  Every single one of these charges has ZERO to do with what type of soldier he is. People are human and make mistakes; except you of course. His entire platoon wrote character reference letters to the commander. The same platoon that would make ground beef out of you if they read this post (I'm not kidding, I've personally met them). My son is adored and respected by his platoon and everyone in his barracks. Sometimes is just as important to have discipline of the brain before making such assumptive statements. In fact not too long ago, his company defeated an entire battalion in battle field exercise before the battalion got deployed. Most recently, it was MY SON who transported a soldier who tried to commit suicide to the hospital. That solider lived because of my son's actions. Look in the damn mirror pal before judging others.
View Quote

It sounds like your son is a good person but not a good soldier.   A good soldier does what he is told, regardless of whether or not he thinks that it is the right thing to do.   I feel qualified to say this because I was not a good Marine.   My squadron thoroughly appreciated the things that I did and the stuff that I pulled off but I broke a lot of rules doing it.   I don't think that a day didn't go by during deployment that I didn't do something that they could file charges for.   I used to have the maintenance officers routinely tell me that I was doing a good job but that they didn't know anything about it.   It was awesome.   BUT if something bad had happened then I would have taken the fall and it wouldn't matter how many character references I had.   That may be what happened here.   Your son disregarded "a stupid rule" again, got caught again and here he is.   The whole platoon (or even the command) could believe that rule is stupid but if someone else caught him then they would lose the option of handling it "in house".    We had a Lance Corporal (E3) that was on restriction and while on restriction he was arrested in the next town over.   He was reckless driving and they found drug paraphernalia in the car.   That was public and it HAD to be handled by the book because everyone knew about it.  

Anyway, there were Marines that I served with that didn't like me because I didn't follow the rules.   There were Marines that really liked me because I was effective.   I am sure that you will find the same types of people on this forum.    But FYI: I wouldn't call the Marines that followed the rules morons.    There were situations that they were able to deal with much more effectively than I could.   Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.  

So my advice is:   If your son is not being treated fairly or within the rules than drawing attention to it would likely resolve the issue.  When I was in, an inquiry from a politician used to work wonders ensuring that the rules were being followed. BUT drawing attention to it could force the command to follow the letter of the law and reduce their ability to handle this with less formality.   So I would make sure that you know the whole story you decide on a course of action.  

I do hope that things work out.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1.Violation of restriction
2.Failure to obey lawful order
3.Pattern of misconduct

Like it or not, these do show what kind of soldier a person is.   Being a good soldier is about more than ferocity in combat, being liked by his unit, or taking a suicidal guy to the hospital.

It's unfortunate your son is in this situation, but he isnt here because he is an outstanding soldier, well respected by his unit and leadership. This is likely not his fist time talking to his chain of command about needing to correct his behavior.

dad, remember all the times you didnt tell your father 100% of the truth?
View Quote

Your point is well taken, and you are absolutely correct. This experience better tune up his attitude or the engine will continue to misfire.  There is a certain level of professionalism expectation, especially if you wish to advance your military career.
Well the good news is they released him Thursday just as fast as they locked him up. As a father I was destroyed at the thought he would spend Memorial Day locked up, and my prayers were answered. Article 15 action pending. Thank you all for your service and dedication to our nation and..stay out of trouble. Stay safe and take care
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top