Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/19/2003 11:05:06 AM EDT
A coworker of mine says he knows a "female" Marine Sniper. I doubted this from the outset, but decided to say nothing until I could check it out.

Don't get me wrong. I've met Janelle Tippie and know of other women at this site who are outstanding shooters, but has the USMC opened their Sniper School to women? Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:03:22 PM EDT
I met one. Never saw her shoot though so I can't vouch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:18:28 PM EDT
Last year the Air Force ran a story of the first female Security Force member to complete their counter sniper school. The story stated that she was the first and only woman to complete a sniper course in the US military. The Army's sniper school is not open to women, and I don't think the USMC's is either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:11:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold:
Last year the Air Force ran a story of the first female Security Force member to complete their counter sniper school. The story stated that she was the first and only woman to complete a sniper course in the US military. The Army's sniper school is not open to women, and I don't think the USMC's is either.

I don't _think_ this is corrrect, but I am not certain. I cannot recall if the woman I met was IN the sniper school or had FINISHED the sniper school in USMC. Maybe this is the technicality.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:20:38 AM EDT
IIRC, that AF female went through the ANG countersniper course at Camp Robinson. It was in no way equivalent to the Army's sniper training or the Marines' 8541 school. It's base defense oriented.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:29:23 AM EDT
I'm beginning to think that the Marine may have told this guy that she shot "expert" or "marksman" in training, and that he just equated that with being a sniper.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:42:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
IIRC, that AF female went through the ANG countersniper course at Camp Robinson. It was in no way equivalent to the Army's sniper training or the Marines' 8541 school. It's base defense oriented.

Actually it's not base defense oriented as you think and it's evolving as it goes, the teaching is the same as the other branches, and while yes most of the SF's that go through will be dployed from an airfield they get the same training as all the other "qualified" personell who take the course i.e. PJ's CC's and AEW personell.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:04:03 AM EDT
You're Air Force, huh?

Compared to Army/Marine Corps sniper training, it is defense oriented.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:22:46 AM EDT
This could easily be a case where your co-worker met Julia Watson or some other WM that was on one of the various marksmanship team units.

She equated 'rifle team' with sniper.

The word 'sniper' is really misused by people who are somewhat ignorant of military things.

Thirty years ago on active duty someone saw my qualification badges and asked me about them. When I pointed at my Sharpshooter badge, they asked me if I was a sniper.(No)

To some people, almost EVERYONE in uniform is a trained sniper.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:50:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By piccolo:
This could easily be a case where your co-worker met Julia Watson or some other WM that was on one of the various marksmanship team units.

She equated 'rifle team' with sniper.

The word 'sniper' is really misused by people who are somewhat ignorant of military things.

Thirty years ago on active duty someone saw my qualification badges and asked me about them. When I pointed at my Sharpshooter badge, they asked me if I was a sniper.(No)

To some people, almost EVERYONE in uniform is a trained sniper.

THIS is probably closer to the truth.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:18:48 PM EDT
As I recall, the Russians (WWII) and the NVA employed female snipers effectively, but I haven't heard anything about female snipers in today's US military.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:48:21 PM EDT
Women are not allowd to attend any Scout Sniper in the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:19:54 PM EDT
Marines requesting training with as a Scout/Sniper(8541) must be from the 0300 M.O.S. field. this is the infantry field. Infantry being combat arms, is not open to female per federal law. no female has EVER been a sniper in the USMC
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:46:24 AM EDT
0203 use to be allowed to attend the SS course, also Marines in MCSFCO get quota's most of those go to the junior 03's there. However non-03's on B billets have attended the course.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:15:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Austrian:

Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold:

I don't _think_ this is corrrect, but I am not certain. I cannot recall if the woman I met was IN the sniper school or had FINISHED the sniper school in USMC. Maybe this is the technicality.

I stand corrected. The girl I was thinking of was Elka Batliner. She was introduced to me by a Marine but was in fact a Swiss sniper, not a USMC sniper.

The equivalent of the scout-sniper course (if there is any comparison to the USMC in a foreign military program) is open to women in Switzerland.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:10:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold: Last year the Air Force ran a story of the first female Security Force member to complete their counter sniper school. The story stated that she was the first and only woman to complete a sniper course in the US military. The Army's sniper school is not open to women, and I don't think the USMC's is either.
View Quote
View Quote
I stand corrected. The girl I was thinking of was Elka Batliner. She was introduced to me by a Marine but was in fact a Swiss sniper, not a USMC sniper. The equivalent of the scout-sniper course (if there is any comparison to the USMC in a foreign military program) is open to women in Switzerland. Sorry.
View Quote
Was she hot?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:56:38 AM EDT
I haven't ever met a female trained sniper by DoD. I have met some college age girls that have made many guys look bad at long range shooting*. Whenever the site Staff gets a chat room going for a scheduled Competition Forum chat night, I'm going to try and line some of them up as featured guests. *Long Range is shot at 800, 900, & 1000 yards. Quietshooter: Of course they're hot! BTW I won't email this thread to your wife. [}:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:56:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
Originally Posted By Austrian: I stand corrected. The girl I was thinking of was Elka Batliner. She was introduced to me by a Marine but was in fact a Swiss sniper, not a USMC sniper. The equivalent of the scout-sniper course (if there is any comparison to the USMC in a foreign military program) is open to women in Switzerland. Sorry.
View Quote
Was she hot?
View Quote
A 7 perhaps before the mandatory +1 adjustment for being firearms proficient.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:09:18 AM EDT
Wow... an adjusted 8 female (Swiss!!)sniper[shock] 'scuse me...I think I need some 'alone time'[:I]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:14:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By QuietShootr: Wow... an adjusted 8 female (Swiss!!)sniper[shock] 'scuse me...I think I need some 'alone time'[:I]
View Quote
Jackass
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:46:59 PM EDT
Dr. Ruth was a sniper in the IDF.[shock] I watched her talk about it on TV once.
Top Top