Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2017 1:31:21 PM EDT
I am not sure where to ask this, but I figured someone out there has had dealt with this.  I have been out since 2010 (USMC) and will be joining the Army active duty next week if everything goes right.  Since getting out I've acquired several weapons and a suppressor.  When I go to the base command pages pretty much anywhere, they state no silencers allowed on base.  Has anyone that posses a tax stamp item been AD and lived on base?  I would prefer to be on base housing if possible.  Also, I have a lot of powder for reloading which I'm concerned the bases may not like.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a ban on suppressors?   Have a link?  Most (If not all) bases make you register any firearms kept on base (and the list can follow you from base to base "oh, did you get rid of the hk?) but I have never seen suppressor listed on the forms
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Before I posted this I had been searching base regs all over and ran into two that said something to the affect of suppressors are banned on base, but I may have misunderstood.  I can't find where that was posted since lol.  I've read other base regs (190-6) that state they are legal or not mentioned.  Really what I'm seeing now is if you are are in legal possession of an NFA item you can have it on base so long as the state allows it, but it may be commander's discretion.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.belvoir.army.mil/Belvoir/Reg/190-2.pdf
Right there on page 7. 3-5(8) bans all things NFA without exception from what I noticed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
IM sent
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I put my suppressor and the SBR m4 lower in a safe deposit box here(Texas) before I deployed in 2011 for a year.
65bucks a year
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.belvoir.army.mil/Belvoir/Reg/190-2.pdf
Right there on page 7. 3-5(8) bans all things NFA without exception from what I noticed.
View Quote
That is belvoir regulation, only applies if you live on post at belvoir.  It also says you can't own a brick or a baseball bat.  Also says that if you pick up a rock you broke the rules.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't have family you can leave them with? Also are you going there for training or is this a permanent duty assignment? I spent 26 years in the Army and never saw a policy that restrictive.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I almost had to do this but ended up not moving out of VA and put some thought into it.

Here is my take on it if you want to take them with you.

For now I would get a safe deposit box, a secure (as much as you can get) storage unit or a very secure case of some kind and leave them locked up in TX. If you have the key they are not accessible to anyone else and you are covered.

Now before you go do a permanent move fill out the 5320.20 with the address of where the weapons will be. If you are going to a base with restrictions rent a storage unit and just put down a storage unit address and store them there. You can fill these out for one year or a permanent move so your choice. ATF just wants to know where the weapon will primarily be.

I would wait until you find out your permanent station before you do anything however and try to get someone you trust or family to hold on to your secure container (Cheaper than renting a secure location). Then you can have all the forms sent to yourself at that address and when you are ready everything will be there the weapons and the forms.

Some have said in the past if your under a tight timeline on official orders call NFA branch and explain your situation they might help you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top