Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2017 12:54:27 AM EDT
I am thinking about getting back on AD after being out for about 3 years.

I am looking for input on how to sell a house when I am in another state.

From what I gathered, prior service applicants are shipping about 30-60 days after signing at MEPS. I would likely put the house on the market after signing at MEPS, but in all likelihood it wouldn't sell until after I shipped out.

Is it possible to sell a house without being physically present to close? Could I just have the paperwork notarized and mail it? Or do I have to be physically present?

Anybody ever sold a house after a PCS or in a similar situation?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Limited npower of attorney is what you seek.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
You can easily sell a house while living elsewhere, it's done every day. Your realtor/title company will help you with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you actually have an enlistment contract before doing anything.

Having said that, is it feasible to rent the house out? I have two houses elsewhere; One is already paid off, and the other pays for itself.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can easily sell a house while living elsewhere, it's done every day. Your realtor/title company will help you with it.
View Quote
Sold both of mine, and bought boyh of mine,  via the mail.  Not AD on one of them, either.

But if you can swing it, rent.  I knew a guy that bought a house every duty station.  Sold those he didn't like at when he retired.  Now he travels once a year to those locations he liked, as a "business trip" tax write off,  to check on them.

Colorado, Charleston, San Diego, and someplace else.

Renters paid them off for him
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:36:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sold both of mine, and bought boyh of mine,  via the mail.  Not AD on one of them, either.

But if you can swing it, rent.  I knew a guy that bought a house every duty station.  Sold those he didn't like at when he retired.  Now he travels once a year to those locations he liked, as a "business trip" tax write off,  to check on them.

View Quote

For every success story like that I know ten people that had renters trash the houses, market took a shit and they took a huge loss when they sold, etc. I will retire next year and then buy my second house.  I bought my first on AD and learned a painful lesson, rented ever since.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For every success story like that I know ten people that had renters trash the houses, market took a shit and they took a huge loss when they sold, etc. I will retire next year and then buy my second house.  I bought my first on AD and learned a painful lesson, rented every since.
View Quote
True.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For every success story like that I know ten people that had renters trash the houses, market took a shit and they took a huge loss when they sold, etc. I will retire next year and then buy my second house.  I bought my first on AD and learned a painful lesson, rented ever since.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  I was very happy to get out from under my house.  I'll buy again when I get to where I'm going to settle down, but probably not until then.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Where is the house?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top