Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2017 4:15:12 PM EDT
Just made a purchase at Lowe's. Presented my military ID and was told that I needed to register it online in order to receive the military discount in the future. On my next visit, all I have to do is provide my phone number to get the discount.

Nope...that ain't happenin'.

I went online to see what the process involved. First thing you are required to do is create a Lowes.com account.

Up till now, all we had to do was present an ID card to get the discount. Now Lowe's wants our private information for it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Lowe's (and Home Depot) graciously give us a discount, but requiring our private info is wrong.

If you agree, please let Lowe's know:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I stopped giving lower my business when the salesman got snooty and told me to refer to the internet for questions on a stove they had......    They missed a gas stove, fridge, washer & dryer that weekend, and ALL of my subsequent home purchases over one stupid employee.....  

Homo Depot, although I don't like their hiring policies, has always been friendly and helpful...  prices are about the same, but I have to drive across town to Homo Depot...... they are happy to give the mil discount with no conditions.....  if that ever stops, ill just go to ace and waste my money there..... they also are great about this discount, but MUCH higher priced for the same junk 
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What??? A store is willing to give you a 10% discount, finds a way to do this without even needing to check your ID, that works in self-checkout lines and online, and instead of being grateful, you choose to whine and cry that they require something of you for the discount?

If you want the discount, jump through the hoops they have in place. If you don't want to jump through the hoops, pay full price.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What??? A store is willing to give you a 10% discount, finds a way to do this without even needing to check your ID, that works in self-checkout lines and online, and instead of being grateful, you choose to whine and cry that they require something of you for the discount?

If you want the discount, jump through the hoops they have in place. If you don't want to jump through the hoops, pay full price.
View Quote
I guess you missed the part where I said I appreciated them giving veterans a discount.

If you're happy giving a store your personal information, YOU go ahead and do it. Personally, I get enough junk email/phone calls/snail mail as it is.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
So you want us to complain about a discount?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope...I'm suggesting that you let them know how you feel about providing them with your personal info in order to get it.

If you want to give it to them, go for it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
ID flash still works here.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
This has to be the worst fire mission I've ever seen. I'm going to write them to thank them for the change in process, as it makes things much easier when shopping online or using the self-checkout.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This has to be the worst fire mission I've ever seen. I'm going to write them to thank them for the change in process, as it makes things much easier when shopping online or using the self-checkout.
View Quote
Giving them your personal info is easier than simply showing them your ID?

If you say so.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
lol
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
What's next? Are you going to complain that the little old lady didn't offer to pay the tip when she buys your lunch?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you say so.
View Quote
Some of the flaw here is expecting that they don't already have your personal information. Your phone number and address are already easily available to the world, usually with nothing more than a quick search of your name. I can even likely find info on your parents, siblings, and any kids as well.

The main problem is you think you have any say in how Lowes does business.

Having the my lowes account setup IS easier than showing them your ID. Try to buy from lowes.com and show them your ID. You can hold it up to the monitor all you want, wave it around, jump up and down, whatever you want. They aren't seeing it. Once the account is setup, you simply scan your card and it automatically applies the discount. No need to remember, no need to dig out your ID. No need to realize you left it in the cac reader at the office or in your uniform.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If i'm offered a discount from somewhere i will probably graciously accept, but I'll never request a discount.   I damn sure would not complain about not receiving a discount, or complain about the process to get one.  I served because I wanted to, I am proud of my service, but I don't live my life believing anybody owes me a damned thing for it.  I cringe every time I read a post like OPs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#13]
You're right...nobody owes me a damn thing. I don't ask fora discount, but if I know a business offers one, I'll damn sure use it.

My point that you apparently missed is that I think it's shitty for Lowes to now ask for our personal information for a benefit that didn't require it before.

You also apparently missed where I said "If you agree..."

So, you obviously don't.

Thanks for playing.

I'm done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I just put my info on my Lowes account...........because, fuck it.  

Home Depot is fine with my DL saying Veteran on the front.  I don't whip it out for small purchases.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#15]
They already have more of your personal information than you might think.  The concept of privacy, as once understood in this country, no longer exists.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you mad that your free Veterans Day buffet at Golden Corral is only on Veterans Day as well?

Fuck some of you will bitch about winning the lottery.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just made a purchase at Lowe's. Presented my military ID and was told that I needed to register it online in order to receive the military discount in the future. On my next visit, all I have to do is provide my phone number to get the discount.

I went online to see what the process involved. First thing you are required to do is create a Lowes.com account.

Up till now, all we had to do was present an ID card to get the discount. Now Lowe's wants our private information for it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Lowe's (and Home Depot) graciously give us a discount, but requiring our private info is wrong.

View Quote
Have you ever had Lowe's deliver an item to you? Had them Special Order an item? Ordered from lowes.com?

I'm guessing they already have your info, and now you're choosing to fight to the top of mole hill mountain over nothing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#18]
OP sounds like an entitled little snowflake.

Take advantage of the store's generous offer on their terms...or don't.

Whine about it and you make all service members and retirees look like douche bags.

Buck up troop!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Start going to Home Depot.
Present ID
Receive discount at checkout
Problem solved
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:33:16 AM EDT
[#20]
You can still just show your ID card. Or you can have them note in your electronic account called  a "MyLowes card" along side the paint colors your have bought.  You don't have to do anything except give them your phone number.  They just put a check mark or something on the account. There is no personal information required beyond your telephone number. Then when you check out, you give them the phone number and they see you are eligible for the mil discount. Is that too intrusive? Not for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#21]
The Lowes that I frequent honors the "veteran" I had added to my TX drivers license without any hassle. Home Depot is another matter. They only honor active or retired military discounts
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:04:22 AM EDT
[#22]

I already had an online lowes account. All the CS lady did was indicate I had a .mil ID which she didn't even look at.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you're required to provide your personal info to get it, it's not a discount.  They are getting a HUGE return on that investment when they sell your info.

So yes, I expect you to complain unless you just flat out don't understand how corporate America has used your personal info to try and screw you.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some of the flaw here is expecting that they don't already have your personal information. Your phone number and address are already easily available to the world, usually with nothing more than a quick search of your name. I can even likely find info on your parents, siblings, and any kids as well.

Having the my lowes account setup IS easier than showing them your ID. Try to buy from lowes.com and show them your ID. You can hold it up to the monitor all you want, wave it around, jump up and down, whatever you want. They aren't seeing it. Once the account is setup, you simply scan your card and it automatically applies the discount. No need to remember, no need to dig out your ID. No need to realize you left it in the cac reader at the office or in your uniform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you say so.

Have you considered paying cash instead of whipping out your plastic slave collar?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have you considered paying cash instead of whipping out your plastic slave collar?
View Quote
Who said anything about my payment method???? You don't seem to comprehend the topic being discussed. Well, the topic that was discussed. Months ago in this thread that was brought back from the dead.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I signed up for the military discount on the mylowe's thing months ago.  Super easy getting the 10% off now for purchases (don't need a manager/supervisor now), and if you purchase online it gives you the 10% off as well.  

Relax OP, it's going to be okay.  

I wish HD would do it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just did the online thing no issues at all and now I just swipe my card instead of asking
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Lowes that I frequent honors the "veteran" I had added to my TX drivers license without any hassle. Home Depot is another matter. They only honor active or retired military discounts
View Quote

Home Depot will usually do exactly as Lowes does because they will lose a customer.  Even when they said they no longer do it, they still did because Lowes.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
That mirrors my experience as well.  Some HD cashiers will honor the .vet on the DL, as long as the purchase isn't over $100.  Above that they say you need to be active or retired.   Eh whatever.

HD does honor vets by giving the 10% off on select holidays though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Signed up at the Customer Service counter the other day.  Showed my ID card, took five minutes.  Just bought something from Lowes online, and my 10% discount popped up on my account.  Very happy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:24:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I attempted to sign up online for the Lowe's discount. 

Got directed to a third party die to "verify" my past service. Seemed sketchy, so i contacted them asking against what database they were checking my info.

I got canned responses and they refused to answer.

So Lowe's gets a big NOPE from me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I guess you missed the part where I said I appreciated them giving veterans a discount.

If you're happy giving a store your personal information, YOU go ahead and do it. Personally, I get enough junk email/phone calls/snail mail as it is.
View Quote
I'm registered with Lowe's and I haven't gotten any contact from them or anyone else as a result of it. You're off your rocker here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I showed me DL with a 'V' on it. Cashier thanked me for my service and I paid. Pretty easy.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I've spent about $3k in the last few weeks at Lowes. A flash of my ID has worked for the military discount, and I've been grateful for it.

If they want my number as a condition of the 10% military discount, I don't really give a shit.  

I'm certainly not going to complain about their policy.  Their business, their rules. They don't have to give a discount to anyone.

And Home Depot is an hour from here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got back from Lowe's, wife and I both get the discount, I would shop there anyway. The American Flag on the back of the employee vest is awesome. Lowe's kicks ass.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I just bought a new wall oven, microwave and stove from Lowes last week, got the mil discount with my ID.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Didn't enlist for discounts.  I don't ask for them either.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been getting a 10% discount at my local Lowe's for years, just by showing my retired ID.  No one has ever asked for any information or asked me to fill out a form.  
Show my ID and get my discount and a "Thanks for your service".
I pay with my Capitol One Visa - no "MyLowes" stuff required.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I signed up via MyLowes as I already had an account, and since I deploy so frequently, I want my wife to be able to continue using the discount.

Makes it pretty simple.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#41]
None of the info they are asking for is private. It can all be found.

I just made mine. I think its kinda stupid as a business decision because now anyone can use your phone number for the discount were as before you had to show ID . I mean sure the cashier could ask for your ID to go alond with it . But I doubt they care.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Odd, have been using my retired ID at Lowes for years.  Just told last week that effective in January, ID is NO GOOD, must have a MYLOWES account that verifies Veteran status,  Went to the site and they wanted me to upload my DD214 as proof---NO WAY.  Will SHOW it to customer service, but no way are they getting acopy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Odd, have been using my retired ID at Lowes for years.  Just told last week that effective in January, ID is NO GOOD, must have a MYLOWES account that verifies Veteran status,  Went to the site and they wanted me to upload my DD214 as proof---NO WAY.  Will SHOW it to customer service, but no way are they getting acopy.
View Quote
black out your ssn.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#44]
And when you do it online you can get the discount on online orders. No brainer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#45]
waaa.... "I want my discount but on my terms"... it seems simple enough... is a little junk mail worth 10% to you or not?  Nobody is forcing you to use the discount.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a MyLowes card for veteran discount. I don't get any communication from them except for a CC bill.
I don't see the problem. OP,are you over 50?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:04:35 PM EDT
[#47]
My Lowes card is flagged for veteran discount and even has little dog tags icon when I log in to order stuff online, but card will not work in store.  I give them my DL or VA card and get the discount at checkout.  I like Lowes because, at least the one around me, hires a lot of veterans.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Prior to this change you didn't get the discount for online orders and you had to have an employee input it for self checkout.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Or stop crying about it.  If you're in the military for a discount, you're doing it for the wrong reason.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top