Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got through Phoenix MEPS and swore into the Army yesterday. Honestly, I am joining for personal reasons. I've always had entry level service jobs with no college degree and knew I could be better than that. Gaining experience, confidence, discipline, skills, and some travel sounds great to me. Going in as a 12N (Horizontal construction) because becoming billy badass was not my goal. I'm not some gung ho 17-18 year old with aspirations of becoming an Army Ranger.

I'm 27 and wanted to join up before my age prevented me from serving. A lot of my family served and they are excited to hear about my decision.

On a lesser but still important note - The last few years have given me some perspective on what America is and what it means to be an American. Serving the people and protecting the Constitution seems like a good way to give back to a country that has given us so much.

The Military Discounts don't hurt either.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I was a dumb private even before I was a dumb private. Generation ME.

Would you believe I forgot we were even at war when I enlisted in 2005? I was very self-centered and my 2 hour commute to University of California, Riverside was literally driving me insane.

An old Infantryman was the recruiting station commander and wowed me with stories of field problems and world travel. And then he mentioned the tanks. The very next week, I was off to OSUT to be a tanker. Something about 70 tons of 1600 hp turbine engines and bigass guns had me at hello.

Best thing I ever did. I can honestly say I am a better person and have been given opportunities that otherwise would never have happened. I am also a California Ex-pat and moving back with the guns I have would make me a felon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Nearly all the men in my family served

-my grades in HS were crap

-My step dad was a farmer, my mom was a checker at the local grocery store, college wasn't in my future.

-working cutting potatoes in a factory sucked, changing water 2 twice a day on the farm sucked.

-Army Infantry was easy in comparison, I meet people I still talk to 27 years later, I traveled a good portion of the world, I eventually did get a college degree, I retired from the Army, Infantry the entire time.

I didn't do to bad for a poor kid from the middle of no where. An when I go to the lodges of my fathers, I can look them in the eyes and not feel shame.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a Naturalized  Citizen. My family and I fled Communism and this country  provided a sactuary and opportunities if you worked hard.

It was my way and also my brother's of paying back an unpayable debt of gratitude to our adopted homeland.

Now , my nephews are serving as second generation  Airborne Infantry. The new tradition in our family  is " We serve the Republic " before moving on with our lives.

I known  it sounds a bit silly in today's world.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a Naturalized  Citizen. My family and I fled Communism and this country  provided a sactuary and opportunities if you worked hard.

It was my way and also my brother's of paying back an unpayable debt of gratitude to our adopted homeland.

Now , my nephews are serving as second generation  Airborne Infantry. The new tradition in our family  is " We serve the Republic " before moving on with our lives.

View Quote

Silly?! That's the best G-ddamn thing I've read all day! We need more of that here. If every immigrant family was like yours, xenophobia (at least against immigrants) would be virtually nonexistent.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#6]

I wanted to get on with my life, was in a rut of partying too hard.

I wanted to be a cop

I wanted to shoot all the guns

I wanted to travel the world

Fun Travel Adventure!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I like aviation and I like guns, got told while enlisted I can be a crew chief and door gunner while deployed and if wanted to be a pilot I can apply to be a Warrant! Currently Crew Chief and deployed and I do get a 240H in front of me every day , but i'm not sure if I want to stay in the army or not.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
To shoot bad guys in the face and break their shit
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Because I was about to be drafted, and decided that it was worth an extra year of my life to be able to choose.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I grew up poor. I had no where else to go.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Two chicks at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I knew since high school I was going to enlist in the U.S. Army.

My Dad was drafted during Vietnam as a 13B and grew up watching the slides (pics) he took when he was there.  I always considered myself a patriot and wanted to serve my country.

I enlisted the summer of 1989 in the delayed enlistment program as a 68N and started basic training on 11July90 at Ft. Jackson, SC.  

26 years later and I'm still working as a 68N (avionics tech) for a major U.S. airline.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]
USMC, MOS 6313 A-6E/EA-6B avionics technician here.

I always wanted to work around aircraft, so I knew I would do something in aviation. I joined the Marines because I was a scrawny kid (about 120lb when I went to boot camp) and my friends doubted I would do it or could succeed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
USMC, MOS 6313 A-6E/EA-6B avionics technician here.

I always wanted to work around aircraft, so I knew I would do something in aviation. I joined the Marines because I was a scrawny kid (about 120lb when I went to boot camp) and my friends doubted I would do it or could succeed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was in high school, every guy I saw with a bad ass car and a bad ass girlfriend was about 23-24 years old. Thought I'd sign up, get a skill and get out after 4 years and start living. 4 years later I was an E5 making $1000 a month with a paid off car and no bills. 25 years and 9 months later, I got out and now I'm living.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Father, uncle, grandfather, USMC; WWI, WWII, Korea; combat veterans. Families military history goes back to the Revolution. The Corps was part of my growing up. And I got my fill of "John Wayne" bullshit very quickly in I Corps along the DMZ as a recon Marine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Dad told me, "Son, I have no idea what the hell you are doing in life but you damn sure aren't doing it here anymore" I was 19 years old with little ambition. I love the beach and the water and figured you have to have both close by in the Navy. Joined, made E-6 in 5 years got out at 6 years and went to college. I was an EW1 E-6 Electronic Warfare Technician. 2 deployments to the Gulf and a Westpac. Oh yea, and a Shellback. I got to go to an Australian ship to participate in their crossing the equator celebration. The Aussies were very generous with their beer. I wish I would have stayed in the reserves to finish my time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:08:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I got tired of working in fast food and wanted to move up in life. Figured I could get some college money and something good on the old resume. Meh college isn't working out for me, so now I'm thinking about going back to kill people if they'll let me, haha
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Honestly? I joined the Army back in '04 because I was a pissed off teenager who had no direction in life and also wanted to shoot hajji and blow shit up.

I watched 9/11 happen on TV in my 9th grade computer class, and then saw beheadings on the news over the next couple of years and just couldn't let the rage go. I wanted to kill those savages.

I've been out for almost 4 years, and I still want to kill those motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I joined to get out of my city and get off drugs.

Oh yea, and kill motherfuckers without going to jail.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:36:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Unlike the OP, I had Delusions of Grandeur, I had watched too many John Wayne movies!  I enlisted to be a straight leg grunt, and by the time my first enlistment was up, I was cured of that shit.  5'4" and 100 lb. ruck sacks don't mix.  I reupped to be a machinist, did that for about 6 years before Uncle Sugar told me I either had to reclassify into another MOS or leave.  Reclassed to MI, 96B to be exact.  It was OK for a while, be I hate desk jobs and I had no desire what so ever of being a 1SG or a SMAG, so I put my warrant packet in and went back to the machine shop.  Retired 16 years later as a CW4.  If I had to do it all over again, I might have gone in the Navy.  Their machinist program (MR rating I believe) is the best of all the branches of service.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
The military seems to be the first or last resort. It NEVER meets ones expectations, we all have ideas in our minds of what we want to do, but what we end up doing is usually something completely different or we only get to do a little of what we wanted to do.

It is a good place to go when you have no idea what you want to do with your life, we humans need structure and objectives and goals, to wander about aimlessly usually does not provide good results.

For those that got to do what they wanted, good for you, I hope it fulfilled and satisfied you.

For those that learned a trade and "fell" into their purpose, good for you, I hope it directed you and gave you new motivation.

For those that were placed where needed, did their time and still don't know what to do, you'll find your way. But don't consider your service a waste of life. Every experience has a purpose and learned skills and lessons will not be wasted.

I don't consider my time as a waste and it has helped me advance in my field of aviation and in other areas of life. But, I feel I have had enough and want to go a different direction, a direction I have absolutely no experience or training in. The problem is...........I don't know what it is. And it is a little late in my life to go and change direction.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#23]
My grandfather fought against the Nazis, my father was drafted during Vietnam. I was a loser. I chose the Coast Guard(in 1998) because they had the best opportunity to use my competitive swimming background and love for water and there were no wars going on. I wanted to do something helpful from day one instead of practice for something that may or may not ever happen.  I wanted to help and  serve the good people of the USA who needed help in an emergency instead of foreigners in a foreign land. And be near the beach. And bang chicks in bikinis. Best decision I ever made, I hit 19 years in April. I have personally saved dozens of lives, and assisted many dozens more that would have died without MY help. I feel like I'm a better person overall because of it.

Never shot anyone in the face though
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Goddamn beautiful.

Merica brother.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Handful of reasons really:

9/11
Wanted adventure/something to do/walk around and shoot shit
Grandfather was Korean Navy vet
GI bill/pay for school
Give something back to such a wonderful nation (when it wants to be)
I wasn't going to let someone else get hurt when I was fully capable of doing something/I knew if something were to happen to me, my mom and dad were strong enough to handle it and the thought of it happening to someone else's parents tears me up (Tearing up typing this now...this is the 3rd time I've ever told someone this in 15 years.  The first was to my parents in February as my mom was dying in the hospital.  The second was to my closest and best friend after my mom died.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#26]
All the guys in the neighborhood said don't wait for the Greetings! letter, if you enlist you get a better deal
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Simply put, I was 4 months from graduating HS and realized how unready I was for college. My dad had money so the cost wasn't an issue but I also knew if I flunked out there wouldn't be a 2nd chance.

I tried the Army but color vision dq'd me. The Navy "let" me do what I wanted if I signed an 8 year enlistment, so Anchors Away.

20 years later I retired.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wanted to kill terrorists.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Grandpa was a vet...his brother died in 'Nam...my dad retired from the Navy

I knew I was going to join before I joined. Admitting I did not have any ideas of going to college or what I was going to do after high school.

Opted for the Army for a term, get a degree and then join FLEO

19 yrs later I'm still here
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I actually joined to serve my country. There wasn't much else going on in my small town, felt guilty not joining so, I did!
Quickly learned I was a minority and the Army wasn't as professional as I had hoped it would be. Some units were pretty damn good, others like my last in Germany....lets just say I often wondered if I didn't end up in a NG unit. Bad thing about a MOS like mine, was there is no use for it in the civilian market. Wish I had gone SATCOM or something before I got out.

Oh and I love cannons so Field Artillery seemed perfect. Sometimes wish I had tried to go the Ranger route...but I really hated running lol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#31]
USN Instrumentman 89-94

I joined straight out of high school, it's just what most males in my family did. I spent almost my entire naval career in a MIRCS lab. No combat, no glory, I'm no hero. I just calibrated stuff. I can build an awesome clock though, I still tinker with them to this day.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#32]
9/11
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Always wanted to. All the males from my parents' families had served dating back to the Civil War.....Duty, Honor, Country. Watched all the war movies I could growing up...Red Dawn, Rambo, Commando, etc.

Waited for Clinton to leave D.C., and was in MEPS a week later. I left for basic a week after that.

I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't raised my right hand.
It was the best decision I have ever made.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Culmination of a childhood dream.  Myself and a couple of Junior High friends were going to all join up together after HS.  Time passed, etc and I was seriously considering the NG like my Dad during my senior year, but the Marine recruiter got my name/number and talked me into a visit.  When he got out of the car, it hit me, THAT is what I want to do.  It was all over but the details.
Still consider it the best decision I ever made. Semper Fi Top Dassinger.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Always wanted to be a Marine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I joined the USMC, back in the day, talks about US going to war with Iran and bringing back the draft.
If it did happen, I wanted to be at the tip of the spear.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing exciting for me, I was unemployed at the time.  Ended up getting a decent job, completely forgot that I had applied and was called up a year into my new job.  Went the Reserve route so I could keep my day job.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Joined the reserves during my junior year of HS for college money.
Got to college and realized I sucked at it so I went to the recruiter to go active duty because... why not.
Retook the ASVAB, got a better score... Airborne Infantry and MP had zero slots...
EOD was an available option. Recruiter told me what it was and the rest is history.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top