Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2002 6:07:37 AM EDT
Hi folks...

I'm a prior service 11B, 31 years old, non-airborne qualified.  We have an LRS det here in Indiana, as well as an Air Assault company.  Both have expressed interest in me coming on board, and I'm trying to make a decision.  I'm not in the greatest shape, which can be remedied.  The LRS detachment has a rep for being a hardcore group, and I'm leaning toward them...  I was planning on doing a 12 month contract to start with, just to see if I like it, and so I'd basically be spending a year non-jump qualified in an Airborne unit.  I am MOSQ, and would be able to join a team and participate in everything but jumps.  

It just sounds more interesting than regular grunt shit.  Am I going to be disappointed with what I'm going to get to do, since I'm still a leg? [:D]

TIA,
QS
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Go for it..but aware that you may be harassed for being a leg. Why not sign up long enough to go to jump school. Jump school is friggen joke anyways.

Joe
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Trying to ease my employer into this, that's why...  We don't have any reservists working here at all.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
First off, hello 11B brother. I would do the LRS if I had the choice, I wouldn't worry about your employer as you CANNOT be fired even if you were gone for a year due to military training much less 4-5 weeks ( if you decide to go to jump school )  
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi!

This is true - except I couldn't AFFORD to be gone for a year at this point!  Bye-bye house, car, etc.
I'm trying to talk them into covering the difference in pay while I'm gone - a lot of places around here are doing that now since 9/11.  No word yet though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I say go for it, Im a Marine Grunt in the Army Guard now and have had loads of fun since getting on with them.  And yes you do have to put up with being called a leg but then no one in my Unit has been to dive school so... Good luck.  Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top