Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 1:16:32 PM EDT
I recently bid the AF "Good day, sir!" and just got my DD-214 in the mail.

Amazingly, it mostly resembles the DD-214 application I filled out a few months ago.  No omissions so far but...there is one whopper of a mistake on there.  According to my DD-214, I completed "T-38C Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training."

Reality check: The last time I got anywhere near the cockpit of a USAF aircraft was at the end of my 89 ride, a few minutes before being told to go to hell for good, as far as the AF and flying were concerned.

I have no idea where they got that from.  Nothing like it was on my DD-214 app.  Go figure.

What are the most outlandish mistakes you've seen on a DD-214, yours or someone else's?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So re-enlist and resume your pilot training!  The 214 never lies!

Where's your back flight pay?   Demand it!

CJ

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I had time to go be a cop and a medic in the AF as my 214 said..

only took a year and a half to fix
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there any reason I should even be bothered to get it fixed?  I'm sure there's a painfully slow process for so doing, but it's not as if I'm ever going to be mistaken for a fighter pilot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably the only good reason would be to make sure that you have accurate data for any future employers that might request it.  At least if you start the process, you can say that you're trying to make corrections.

The updates to DD214 are done on a DD 215.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
you should go up to an airline and demand a job as a pilot.  You are obviously qualified
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine says I have the vice presidential service badge.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The problem is the arcane code system used for years in all the services personnel systems.  

I remember for years Marines were often incorrect given the NASA service medal, because the code used in MCTFS for it is "NAM" which most everyone associates with the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, aka a NAM.  So naturally when the admin guys entered someones' NAM into the system, they often put in "NAM" which in the system meant the Marine was awarded NASA medal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
my name isn't even spelled right on mine.

neither i nor the reviewer caught it during out processing
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My very first mil ID card had my middle initial attached to my first name, and I never noticed it.  (Good thing my middle name wasn't something like Edward!    )   Then about a month or two later I was hoping on a train and when I handed the ID to the person to check my ticket, they told me my name was spelled wrong      Went back to MPF and it took 3 or 4 more ID cards before a correct one was printed, then it took another few months before my name was spelled correctly "in the system."  

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was shocked that 99% of my DD-214 closely resembled the DD-214 application I filled out a few months back.  The magical "T-38C training" course was the only discrepancy, so I guess I got off easy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
My mos in the Marines was 0842, counter battery RADAR operator.

My DD-214 says 0842, counter battery RADIO operator.

I never bothered to get it fixed. When I cam in the Army they didn't even notice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]

I don't think I could find mine, I know I have it around here somewhere filed away.  The last time I needed it was for GI Bill benifits 15 years ago.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My DD-214 says i spent 15 months in Afghanistan, it was 12, they made it clear that if there were any errors to fix we'd need to come back with proof and it would take time to change. I had already been forced to extend my contract so that I would have enough time left in the Army to get out of the Army....so I said fuck it, took my ball and left.

ETA:  This was MY LAST day in the army and I already had my rental truck packed, cleared from the barracks and ready to drive home (it was a Friday as well).  

At the mandatory nationalguard/reserve recruiting briefing they found a mistake (reenlistment code) that would have banned me from ever reenlisting/joining again but I had a few days to fix that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top