Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2010 6:18:00 AM EDT
sliced peaches or pears in heavy syrup while freezing rain is blinding you! then top it off with a john wayne bar! uncle sugars green gourmet food! all while having the privilege of guarding gaddis mountain from the ROTC hoard! give me C rats any day of the week over MRE's!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I wish they'd bring back some of the older MRE entrees. Oh well, I am retiring anyways.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
what the hell is a C rat?

oh.........old soldier food........
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Having eaten both in the field, MRE's are better chow.  Having said that the C-Rats we were given were 20 years old at the time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
MRE's get old having them every day for a month. That being said, some are pretty decent. Cheese and Vegi omlette
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ya lil whipper snapper!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ya lil whipper snapper!!!!!!

sorry, i joined in 04 but sometimes even i feel old seeing the new batch coming in

anyway, my dad told me they used to just dump the cans into a water heater and then hand you a hot can of food. thats crazy but sounds like the army i know.

i like the MREs its easy and seems there would be less mass to carry and dispose of. peaches sounds good though!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I joined the Army in 1982 and they were still issuing c-rats. Compared to the first generation MRE's, c-rations were both easier to eat, and easier to digest. The first generation MRE was a combination of condensed and dehydrated foods which required the consumption of at least one quart of water to properly prepare and digest. Even then, you still got stopped up after about a week in the field. The current MRE, IMNSHO, is actually pretty good. I wouldn't want to eat them three meals a day, but they are a lot like most of the prepared food you find on store shelves these days.

Everything you wanted to know about MRE's, but were afraid to ask.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Beanies and weenies were best in the C rats. Holding that C rat box was like holding history in your hands. We would have fun seeing who had the oldest box. I still have a John Wayne. MREs are better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I enlisted in 84, we had MREs in basic when we ran the obsacle course.  I've never seen C-rats, but half of the the class before us had them when they ran the course.  I guess I hit the very end of the transition to MREs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Some C-rats were ok but I much prefered the MREs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]
C-Rat ?

WTH?

I was born in '91 man....the only C-Rats I see are in black in white movies.....or the ones with Charlie Sheen and that guy from Just Shoot Me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I enlisted in 84, we had MREs in basic when we ran the obsacle course.  I've never seen C-rats, but half of the the class before us had them when they ran the course.  I guess I hit the very end of the transition to MREs.

3707 BMT Drum and Bugle for me in August 1984.  I remember seeing the discarded C-Rat Cans.  They looked pretty rusty at the time.  I don't remember getting the MREs on the obstacle Course.  I do remember them when I got to Camp Bullis early in 1985 though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#13]
C-Rat Navy Beans and Ham............Best there is
C-Rats pound cake
MRE Beans and Franks.......Older menu
MRE Crackers, cheese and peanut butter

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I still get an indescribable feeling of joy when I open up a MRE...and I've been called a "lucky bastard" for getting cheese and veggie omelet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#15]
The five fingers of death.  I remember my father giving me that.  Luckily when I went in the MRE menu was a bit matured.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top