Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2002 10:13:01 PM EDT
Just read an obituary-the deceased was supposedly a Korean War vet. but his birthday was July 1941, 60 years old at death. Had a debate at work about how this guy couldn't have been a Korea veteran since the cease fire was in 1953-he would've only been 12 years old at the time.  If a person served in the armed forces after the cease-fire but guarding the 38th upto and including now, are they considered to be Korean War Vets?  Co-worker claims that fighting in Korea went on long after 1953-into the late 50's. I'm assuming the family was mistaken or misquoted and the deceased actually fought in Vietnam. Any comments?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he would be a Vietnam Vet. I do know that if you were stationed in Korea at any time, that you are eligible to join VFW. Something about the war never being officially over. Dont quote me on this though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#3]
As the link says, the Korean War is still technically going on, with only a fragile cease fire in effect! [url]http://home.earthlink.net/~woll/vetnews.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
They were not mistaken, If that person served
more the 90 days in country(Korea) after 1953
is still considered a Korean War Vet,
i.e.
I served 82-83 Kunsan,
85-87 Osan, some of the time while at Osan AB,
was spent on the DMZ,
I am a Korean War Vet.
If anybody has spent time on the "Z" knows
what I'm talking about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top