Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 8:15:48 PM EDT
I went to buy my kimber today and got delayed like always. The gun shop called me and said that I was denied and I have to mail a form to the feds to get cleared. I am about to start a law enforcement academy so I know my record is clean. Anyone know why this might have happened or has this happened to anybody? does anyone know how long the process takes
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Most officers I know get delayed by NICS....much more than the average person. I believe their LEO activities gets their names into various databases which raises flags during the initial check.

It's one more reason for officers in my area to get pistol permits, so they wont have to be subjected to the instant check.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
tcsd1236 hit the nail on the head.  A lot of police officers I know in my area are now applying for NYS pistol permits for two main reasons:

1. Because there have been a good number of them turned down or delayed during a NICS check for a personally bought weapon; a NYS pistol permit allows you to bypass the NICS and walk out with the firearm on the spot.

2. They want to have a permit to carry so that when they leave their jobs they can still carry a sidearm.  Especially the younger ones who have a long time left on the job but are smart enough to look towards the future and see a time when they may not BE ABLE to get a permit in 15 or 20 years when they retire.

Good luck to you joe black.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
2. They want to have a permit to carry so that when they leave their jobs they can still carry a sidearm.
View Quote
Please clarify this one for me: Does this mean that in NYS, a cop can't carry a sidearm off duty unless they have a PERMIT?! YOU GOTTA BE SH*TTING ME! That's about some of the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please clarify this one for me: Does this mean that in NYS, a cop can't carry a sidearm off duty unless they have a PERMIT?! YOU GOTTA BE SH*TTING ME! That's about some of the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard.
View Quote

No, he's sayign they're getting permits so when they leave their jobs (i.e. leave the police force) they will still have carry permits and won't be subject to the same laws us peons are.

By the way, why exactly do you think an off duty cop has a greater right to carry than any other civilian?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
First off, thanks for the clarification, I must have read it wrong. As for your comment and question, I can only reply that almost every cop I know considers himself a cop ALL the time, not just while "on" duty. As a matter of fact, a lot of depts (IIRC) make it a requirement to carry while technically "off duty" for just that reason. THAT is why I asked, and THAT was the reason for my comment. And if he or she has jumped through the hoops to obtain said permit, hasn't he or she complied with the same laws as those you consider "peons?" And by the way, I DON'T think off duty cops have any greater rights than anyone else in this country. I think you may have misunderstood me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And if he or she has jumped through the hoops to obtain said permit, hasn't he or she complied with the same laws as those you consider "peons?"
View Quote

Most "May-issue" locations make the process alot easier for law enforcement.  Places where it is virtually impossible for a citizen to exercise their right to carry (New York City, New Jersey, heavily populated segments of California spring to mind) usually don't seem to have a problem issuing to cops.

And by the way, I DON'T think off duty cops have any greater rights than anyone else in this country. I think you may have misunderstood me.
View Quote

I'm sorry if I did, but you said that it was stupid cops should have to have a carry permit to carry off duty--that sounds like special privlidge to me (especially when compared to the people who live in the places listed above, and those like them.)
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Zak for the assist.  Zardoz, I meant when a police officer retires or resigns he/she needs a NYS pistol permit to own or carry a pistol.  Certified, active NY police officers and peace officers can carry any sidearm their agency authorizes off-duty "on their badge" so to speak.  If they are suspended, retired, or resign, they need to have a valid NYS pistol permit to either possess or carry a handgun, same as any other NY resident.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top