Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 5:00:43 AM EDT
I posted this question in another forum, but got no response. I'm thinking of changing my 870 Police synthetic stocks over to SpeedFeed I stocks (the one with shellholders in the stock). Does anyone use them / like them? I'd appreciate any info. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:37:27 AM EDT
I don't know if this helps you out but my Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech K9(Rem.1187) came with the SpeedFeed Stock that is shortened by about 1" but doesn't have the shell holders. I like it as it shoulders fairly quick and works well with body armor on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:46:51 AM EDT
We have them on several older shotguns, but they are useless since we switched to 3" magnums, which apparently don't work with these.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:33:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2002 11:01:53 PM EDT by Dave_G]
I had one on a personal shotgun. It looked trick...right up until I noticed that the thing was slightly crushing the shells under the spring tension. I also dropped way too many shells when they popped out of the slots, again under spring tension. I continued to use the stock, but I used a stock pouch with loops, and later a receiver saddle and belt pouch for reloads. For tactical reloads, a receiver side saddle is best, followed by a stock pouch on the stock, kept on the shooter's strong side; right side for a right-handed shooter. The speedFeed stock with the internal shell holders sucks for tactical reloads. Now if you are only looking at them as a shotgun stock, not for their ability to store spare rounds, they're about average.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:11:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:39:28 PM EDT
Perhaps I should have mentioned that mine was one of the first ones. Are they better now? If I recall correctly, it was a pain in the butt to do a tactical reload with the shotgun still shouldered.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:35:06 PM EDT
I've noticed that some of the SpeedFeed pictures show the shellholders on the top of the stock, and some show them on the bottom of the stock. I received several emails off the board and have decided not to go with this setup. I instead ordered a Scattergun Tech. Short Stock which I understand is much better with body armor and quicker to get on target. Thanks to all that responded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:51:49 PM EDT
PPD, Just for info, one side of the stock had the shells on the side at the top and at the bottom on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:20:54 PM EDT
Thanks Dave.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:12:20 PM EDT
We have them. Probably won't buy more. There are issues relating to shell damage (over time & shooting with them loaded) and length as it is difficult to cut the stocks down.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:24:06 PM EDT
I have a Speedfeed stock on my Mossberg M590A1 and, IMHO it is alright, but not as good, reliable, user friendly, as a TacStar side saddle, which I have on my 500 Persuader. Cloak-
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:01:36 PM EDT
We have sidesaddles on our 870's and they work fine, but the local sheriff's dept uses the speedfeeds and they have nothing but problems with them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:10:24 AM EDT
Just purchased Tactical IV model. I've never liked the idea of shells in the stock. Installed Tac-Star side saddle and love it! Pistol grip stock shoulders quickly and smoothly. Remember to use a short forearm with the 6 round saddle. Gun will not function properly with field/sport foerarm. I also recommend the Federal Tactical buckshot loads, they create good patterns.
Top Top