Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2009 12:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorCal_LEO]
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a good article by a friend for anyone of you considering a career in law enforcement. Click the link for the complete article.

Ten Common Ways to NOT Get Hired
By: Sgt. Betsy Brantner Smith

You don’t really want to be a cop, do you? Fighting crime, saving lives, big guns, fast cars, a cool uniform, hot calls; that stuff’s not for you. The hours are long, the gratitude is short-lived, and there may occasionally be people trying to kill you when you’re just trying to make a living and do a little good. Take some advice from the front lines of police hiring and training, here’s ten way to make sure you do not get hired by any law enforcement agency...

Link Posted: 2/28/2012 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a great career as a Parole and Probation officer until I retired.  I got to help out my community, enjoyed the work, and had fun doing it.
Although my agency was really tight fisted with overtime (I got 16 hours in 25 years), we enjoyed flex scheduling where I pretty much set my own hours, within some very broad guidelines.  Corrections work inside the jails got lots more overtime, and that does help fatten up their pensions.
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
We are hiring in Boise, ID...

www.adasheriff.org/careers
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Always hiring. Arf.commers should love it - issued tower rifle is, of course, and AR15.
http://www.azcorrections.gov/
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Always hiring, Texas Department of Criminal Justice-  CO, Parole and sometimes Investigator (Office of Inspector General) positions.

Starting at CO 1 is $2695.55 a month with no experience, bumps to CO 2 ($2853.45) shortly after academy.

We need bodies in uniforms, good ones.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Maryland State Police is hiring, http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Careers/Pages/default.aspx
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
SCHP is 200 troopers short. They announced that training would be shortened to get more on the road. Troopers
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Taking apps.  .
Probably gonna hire 15-20
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:57:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HUFFCHAD] [#9]
Las Vegas Metro PD

On track to hire another 200 this year, average 40 person academy classes. Recruits start at $53k/annual, topped out PO2 $88k. Practically unlimited overtime if you want it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top