Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2001 7:17:12 AM EDT
The recent threads on vehicle carry have me wondering. Does your state have different rules between long gun and pistol for vehicle carry/transport? In Texas for example,  carrying a pistol within your control in a vehicle is grounds for a UCW arrest. (CHL's apply) However, pretty much nothing applies to carry of a long gun, be it a rifle or shotgun. Driving to Houston with an pistol gripped Remington 870 on the seat beside you is perfectly fine, and a situation I've come across more than once. What are some of the East Coast states like?  
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
... carrying a pistol within your control in a vehicle ...
View Quote

I regularly carry my target pistol to the range unloaded in a soft case placed behind my seat in an extended cab pickup. My ammo is in a separate container also behind my front seat. I don't transport loaded magazines.

Could you elaborate on what constitutes "within your control"?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
By within your control is simply, can you reach it from your seated position. An example would be a guy with a  loaded .45 ready for use in the door pocket, center console, or under the seat. Unloaded in a case would be fine, I wouldn't have the slightest problem with that. You'd be amazed at the amount of folks we arrest for UCW in a vehicle. If you want to carry a pistol everyday, get a CHL. If folks don't want the hassle of a CHL, carry a long gun. Would you rather have some punky .40 cal, or a pistol grip 12 gauge?  As an aside, you'd be amazed about how many people had no idea there was a pistol under their car seat. Had to cry over one, 17 yr old with an engraved silver inlaid customized Gold Cup. Not listed as stolen, no way to connect it with a proper owner, and cannot be resold per dept regulation. It's gonna be torched. Easily a 2500$ gun.  The punk stated he had never seen it before. Odd coincidence that he had 13 extra rounds in his pocket. BTW: what part of Texas are you in?
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
JohnInAustin,

Thanks for the clarification. I live in the DFW area (Plano). I recently finished my CCL class and sent in my application.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top