Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2001 6:21:54 PM EDT
I used to get called at least once a year from my local and state police and organizations like National Association of Chiefs of Police for donations to help that particular organization out for equipment, etc. I'd give $25-$50 and get one of those contributor stickers you put on your vehicle.
Now I don't get called at all anymore, which suprises me because usually once you give to an organizion once or twice, they will keep you on a list and call you again.
How do I find out when or how I can contribute to the police the next time they have a donation drive? I may not always be able to afford to give, but if I'm asked I just may be able to help out once in awhile.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
ArmaLiter, I'll echo doorgunners' comments.  I prefer the 100 Club.  Some see it as a "get out of a ticket free" sticker.  In different areas, the 100 Club provides a trust fund for kids of cops/firefighters that die in the line of duty.  When I was in college in Beaumont, TX, the 100 Club was supposed to have purchased ballistic vests for officers after Beaumont P.D. Patrolman Paul Hulsey was shot and killed(I don't know if they ever did it, but they said they were, and I was in college and drunk most of the time, so I don't know). I personally never give to phone solicitors, unless they promise to make a like contribution to my favorite charity.  So far, no takers.  For the most part, if you take your $25, buy a cake, cookies, donuts, whatever, take them to your local police staion with a "Thanks for what you do" note, you'll do more to build morale for the guys/gals on the street than sending $25 to an organization comprised of Chiefs of Police.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You would be better served to contribute to some facet of your local agencies rather than the national groups. They may or may not be fine organizations, but I think they spend too much of their time and money seeking additional contributions. It's a never ending cycle.
Donate some cash  or services to your local agencies, or relief elements for widows, orphans, etc of local agencies if such things exist in your area. The reality is that there is often   some piece of equipment or  worthwhile programs that grants and tax dollars can't cover, so they get shoved to the back burner.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Now the REAL question. If I donate money and put one of those FOP stickers on my window... will LEOs REALLY cut me slack on a minor traffic infraction?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I may of been misunderstood of which LEO organizations I gave to. It wasn't just national organizations.
I did donate to my local police and also state police, not just national organizations. They usually called, introduced themselves who exactly they were and explained in great detail, why they needed the money and where the money was going. This ranged anywhere for money to help the police department to money to help abused children.  
I am also careful that the organization I contribute to is legitimate. There has been reports in my area of fake organizations asking for donations for state police.
And oh yeah, don't think I donate because I think a sticker on my car will get me out of a ticket. One time, in the past, I received a ticket(doing only 10 over on a main highway) while I had both a local and national police contributor sticker on my vehicle in plain sight. I just paid the fine, learned to slow it down and kept on contributing to law enforcement. I took no offense by a police officer doing his job and giving me a ticket.
Though I thought the amount of the fine was offensive [:D]

Thank you all for you views and suggestions of other ways I can help out my local police.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
BenDover.  Down here, it makes no difference.  If you're going to get scrolled, you get scrolled.  Especially if you're "retired from the Five Two".
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
That's not what I meant ArmaLiter.  On this board, I've heard some refer to donating to the 100 Club etc. as just a way to get out of a ticket, i.e. bribe.  Sorry if you took offense, as that was not my intention.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now the REAL question. If I donate money and put one of those FOP stickers on my window... will LEOs REALLY cut me slack on a minor traffic infraction?
View Quote

I use the total facts available to me to make a decision to write or not write a ticket. That includes the actual observed infraction, the answers the driver has given me during our initial contact, their apparent attitude,etc.
  Yes, sometimes a sticker can sway the decison, but only as a final icing on the cake, not a  primary reason to let someone go, and it isn't neccesarily an FOP or other LE sticker,as those are so prevalent. Maybe something along the lines of a sticker saying " use  defense lawyers wisely...they make good fertilizer...."
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My experience is that the legitimate organizations do not conduct telephone solicitations.  In fact, I am routinely solicited by bogus organizations.  In fact when I was active, I wasd personally involved in the investigation and arrest of groups claiming to be associated with firedepartments and selling advertizing space in non existant flyers.

PS. Bill294 hope you wern't refering to LEO retirees when you referenced citing those claiming "retired from the Five Two".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top