Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2006 11:36:23 PM EDT
I've been in corrections for many years and came up with a product to use in secure facilities.  It replaces a rather dangerous item with one that is less so.   I envision using this in jails, prisons, and maybe even schools.   Any suggestions as to how to approach marketing it without giving away the idea and getting nothing in return?  

If you need some more specific details IM me and I'll fill you in.   I just dont want to give out all the info on a public forum.    

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you be a little more vague??
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can you be a little more vague??

In a public forum giving out my specific design would result in my not getting any compensation

Just looking for avenues to market a corrections specific item.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a lawyer and patent it.  I got burned once on a design that someone said he'd "help" me with.  

It takes some dough to do it, but it will be worth it.  then work on marketing.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I fully encourage you to go through with this.  Innovative products and technolgy in correctional environments is a relatively new and exiting field.  With most police administrators thinking in terms of risk management, many with ideas (whatever it is) like yours have become successful.  Think of the restraint chair - wheels, plastic molded seat, seatbelts; it was probably something someone came up with in his garage.

First of all, DO NOT contact one of those patent/product marketing services you see on TV.  Those are a rip-off.

Document everything, make a prototype, and hire a patent lawyer.  Once you get patent pending status, then you can start marketing your product to prospective manufacturers or distributors.  I would contact companies already in the business.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#5]
My prototype is built.   I'm not sure it's worth enough to go through the patent process.   Also not sure it's patentable.   It's more an improvement of an existing type product adapted specifically for use in a secure environment.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My prototype is built.   I'm not sure it's worth enough to go through the patent process.   Also not sure it's patentable.   It's more an improvement of an existing type product adapted specifically for use in a secure environment.  

That is where the lawyer comes in.  You can look up a bunch of info online, like how many changes to an existing product you need, etc, to be able to get your own patent.  

If it is not patentable, it may be trademarkable or even the looks of whatever it is copyrighted IIRC.  

If it is worth taking precautions so as not to get screwed, then it is worth lawyering up.  At least get a consultation.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Take pictures and printed designs and get them notarized and then seek a patent. By notarizing, it sets an official date of when you had the item and this will help prevent rip-offs.
I've been in Corrections 10yrs, all of it at a max joint in Illinois, I'd be very interested in hearing about your idea. I'll shoot you an IM.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top