Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 10:45:15 AM EDT
Just got back from getting a spicy chicken samich.  Dropped by the outdoor range.  Busted through two mags from the M4.  Waiting for 1700 to come.  Tis good to be the rangemaster.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah but you still suck!

So if youre the rangemaster you get to hog all the 5.56 ammo you want?

I cant wait till im an officer and i get to mooch on free ammo!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Free ammo is goooood.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I concur!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
That just aint right.  The only free ammo we get is for qualification.  I still haven't found out if the dept. will supply ammo for the 2 of us that are rifle certified.  However, if they do it will either be tap or some version of black hills.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got my delivery of 18000 rounds .223 for my range, I just spread 'em all out on the floor and roll around nekked!!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah right, I've been a firearms instructor for almost 20 years now.
Everyone thinks all you do is shoot all day, the reality is you stand around and watch everyone else shoot all day.
But then again there is all the free ammo.
And the T&E with new weapons.
And being able to yell at the non shooting MFin supervisor.
And rolling around nekkid in the ammo...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just got my delivery of 18000 rounds .223 for my range, I just spread 'em all out on the floor and roll around nekked!!!!

Was that you in the other thread with that M203 live gernade up your butt?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And being able to yell at the non shooting MFin supervisor. ..."

They have to have a "special" brass only qualification time for those folks.  Seems it's just a little too embarrassing for them to try and qualify with us and let everyone see their deficiencies.

Probably the only time a certain, soon to retire, range worker ever smiles.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
NO SIR!!!   We don't carry 203's...sounds like that could be a distraction on the range!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#10]
seriously though, if you're the range master for a police department, do you get to shoot all the ammo you want? i mean do you have a key to the range and can you go every day after work and burn up a 100 rounds of expensive TAP ammo?

And if so do you need a range boy, pot licker, apprentice, ect?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And being able to yell at the non shooting MFin supervisor. ..."

They have to have a "special" brass only qualification time for those folks.  Seems it's just a little too embarrassing for them to try and qualify with us and let everyone see their deficiencies.

Probably the only time a certain, soon to retire, range worker ever smiles.

Yup, we have the "special" range days here too.

seriously though, if you're the range master for a police department, do you get to shoot all the ammo you want? i mean do you have a key to the range and can you go every day after work and burn up a 100 rounds of expensive TAP ammo?

Well, we are required to remain proficient with every weapon in our inventory.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Part of the reason I joined my FD is that my buddy (a former LEO for the City) knew the rangemaster, and the range was under the FD.

Then the RM left for another agency, my buddy left to finish law school, and they closed the range and turned it into a "community access room" and bigger quarters for the detectives.

Grr. Arggh.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah right, I've been a firearms instructor for almost 20 years now.
Everyone thinks all you do is shoot all day, the reality is you stand around and watch everyone else shoot all day.
But then again there is all the free ammo.
And the T&E with new weapons.
And being able to yell at the non shooting MFin supervisor.
And rolling around nekkid in the ammo...

That is no kidding.  I wish I got to shoot half as much as people think I do, which yes is still a lot, but not as much as most would think.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And if so do you need a range boy, pot licker, apprentice, ect?

I get to shoot a lot but probably not as much as you would think.  Sure I have the ONLY key to the range but no I can't just go pissing away the TRU or TAP...well I did a little yesterday.  I have about twelve firearms instructors (three from the jail, one reserve, three from patrol, the rest from CID and TAC) so...no need for a cabin boy yet.   But we are almost always hiring for patrol if you have about 2 years prior experience and have TCLEOSE PO license or in the jail (which tops out at more than $40K now) if you have no experience.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]
the range boy comment was actually a joke but i will be looking to get into patrol around mid august or september. what department do you work for and do they require prior experience? Will a BS in CJ get me anywhere?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
the range boy comment was actually a joke but i will be looking to get into patrol around mid august or september. what department do you work for and do they require prior experience? Will a BS in CJ get me anywhere?

I get to shoot a lot but probably not as much as you would think. Sure I have the ONLY key to the range but no I can't just go pissing away the TRU or TAP...well I did a little yesterday. I have about twelve firearms instructors (three from the jail, one reserve, three from patrol, the rest from CID and TAC) so...no need for a cabin boy yet. But we are almost always hiring for patrol if you have about 2 years prior experience and have TCLEOSE PO license or in the jail (which tops out at more than $40K now) if you have no experience.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#17]
You can check your IM.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm the head Firearms Instructor for my Department. Yes I can go to the range anytime I want. Yes I get all the ammo I want. But I don't get to shoot unless I go by myself, otherwise I'm teaching. We really don't get to shoot as much as most people think we do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top