Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/22/2006 8:20:12 PM EDT
My VFD is looking for 2-4 quality EMS backpacks that will hold a D sized O2 cylinder along with BLS (EMT-B level) gear for our wildland trucks. The bags would spend most of the time in the truck, but the potental exists to grab it and hump into the woods where somebody droped or got hurt/burnt.

Right now we have a cheap gals bag, but the trucks go on remote fires along with national wildland dispatches.

Any recomendations?????
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:24:04 PM EDT
Something with shoulder straps with a sternum strap and a waist strap comes to mind. I think a D cylinder will fit in the Eagle 3 day pack. There's a plethora of things on Galls' webiste that'll fit those requirements. I'd just lash a M5 to my existing ruck and call it a day, but this should give you a starting point.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:49:04 AM EDT
This is what you want:
www.pacsafety.com/products/ems_r200.htm

We use the non-O2 version of that backpack on my SAR team, and it's pretty effective. Definately clunky and not recommended for the first line guys. We usually keep it on a Gator that stays back until the victim is found. I would not want to be the one "volunteered" to carry a fully loaded BLS bag with O2 a mile or two across rough terrain. In fact, what I would recommend is finding a way to split up the gear if possible. You want 2 O2 bottles anyway, why not have 3 backpacks? One BLS/Trauma and one BLS/Medical with the O2 tank, and a third one that has both (in case you only have one available person back at the truck). My team's/ambulance agency's general policy is to have enough supplies to run two full arrests with a 30 minute transport time, and so far it has served us well, even if we've never actually had two full arrests go in the same truck or happen after a search.
Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:24:03 AM EDT
Caneau, that pack might just be the ticket

Problem is it's going to go on a brush truck where space is limited & we just don't have any room for more gear. Normally as engine slugs we stay within hose lay of our trucks & they do not have backboards/C-spine or anything other than a basic BLS kit. It's also a concern when we are out on local fires as ambulances can be 30+ min away if they are close and don't get lost

I like the idea of 2 O2 tanks as just this week we used 1 1/2 D cylinders on a call before the ambulance arrived. However, that was with a non rebreather & 15lpm.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:39:26 AM EDT
Sweet truck. One of the FDs I work with has a similar rig, but they got the extended cab version and keep some of their BLS supplies back there.

I still do recommend at least having a second O2 tank somewhere onboard, maybe in a portable bag. I work for a rural EMS service with moderately long transport times and my theory's always been, you'll run out of O2 on the patient that needs it most. If you're running it at 15 LPM because the guy has crushing chest pain from a 90% blockage, a history of asthma, COPD, and CHF, that O2 might be the only thing keeping his heart muscle alive.

One idea, see how much room you have behind the passanger's seat. IIRC, I've seen one agency mount a tank back there, with the seat moved forward a bit.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:43:00 PM EDT
I have been useing a Conterra ALS Extream Pack and love it.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:11:03 PM EDT
Tactical EMS Backpack #34040
We used to buy lots of Iron Duck brand stuff, and they make some top notch stuff too, holds up to abuse pretty well.

Measurements:
24" long x 15" wide x 6" high
Material: 1000 Denier Cordura® Nylon - $156.75
Standard Colors: #34040-BK - Black
#34040-OD - Olive Drab
#34040-WC - Woodland Camouflage

A versatile backpack ideally suited for tactical and search and rescue operations. Compact, light, and durable. Three clear tear-out sleeves and trauma pouch. Tacked elastic to hold an assortment of supplies and airways, as well as side and body pockets. Optional tank straps included for "C" and "D" size tanks. High density padding for back support. Tuck away straps and waist belt increase stability. * Please Note: List price shown above.

Top Top