Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 5:44:18 PM EDT
Anyone out there using the new Smith and Wesson Military/Police pistol?  I have been thinking about trading in the Beretta .40 for something with a rail.  I like what I have read so far about the new Smith.  Haven't been able to find one around here to finger f@#k, just wondering if anyone has any experience with one yet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been testing the M&P for 2 months now for my agency. I cant post anything yet as I wont/dont do evaluations half assed (which has been going on around the net) however I will say two things.

1. Its a brand new system and as with any new weapons system it has to be wrung out and tested.
   You'll find many S&W haters posting all kinds of things about it w/o having any idea what their talking about. The M&P takes a little from 3-4 different systems and makes it its own.

2. Everything I've seen so far is encouraging. The one thing that stands out so far is how soft it shoots , everyone who has participated in the trial shoots with me agrees that its the softest shooting .40 caliber pistol they've shot.

Once I'm done (3-4 months ) I will post something either here or in the team forum to avoid as many fools as possible.

stay safe
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
One of the other officers on my department bought one... I looked at it a little bit but I haven't shot it or anything.

It seems pretty nice, but I noticed that the trigger looked the same as the Sigmas... HOPEFULLY it doesn't have the same pull, but I didn't dry fire it so I'm really not sure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I just can't see how they will make significant headway in the LEO market when they cost so much more than a Glock..
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just can't see how they will make significant headway in the LEO market when they cost so much more than a Glock..

LEO Individual Officer price with Trijicon night sights and 3 magazines $455
Glock 22/23 with Mepros and three mags $489
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I will be looking forward to your results.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LEO Individual Officer price with Trijicon night sights and 3 magazines $455
Glock 22/23 with Mepros and three mags $489

?
LEO Individual Officer price on a 22 with 3 mags and meprolights is 455 and trijicons is  477

I like the idea of competition, but like with their ar15's I don't see any real reason to switch
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone out there using the new Smith and Wesson Military/Police pistol?  I have been thinking about trading in the Beretta .40 for something with a rail.  I like what I have read so far about the new Smith.  Haven't been able to find one around here to finger f@#k, just wondering if anyone has any experience with one yet.

Don't buy it.  it's a sad copy of the Glock 22.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't buy one after running a couple thousand rounds through it.  Began having reliability issues, uncomfortable to shoot, etc.  Too bad, too.  Nice trigger and the interchangeable backstrap is nice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Glenn R, I just read your review and found it very informative.  I will be backing off of the M/P for now, unless S&W comes out with an updated model that addresses the issues you found.  Thanks again for a very well-written and no BS review of the gun.  Seems like if they iron out the details of the gun, it could be a consideration in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top