Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 5:44:18 PM EDT
Anyone out there using the new Smith and Wesson Military/Police pistol? I have been thinking about trading in the Beretta .40 for something with a rail. I like what I have read so far about the new Smith. Haven't been able to find one around here to finger f@#k, just wondering if anyone has any experience with one yet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 7:57:14 PM EDT by ColtM4]
I've been testing the M&P for 2 months now for my agency. I cant post anything yet as I wont/dont do evaluations half assed (which has been going on around the net) however I will say two things.

1. Its a brand new system and as with any new weapons system it has to be wrung out and tested.
You'll find many S&W haters posting all kinds of things about it w/o having any idea what their talking about. The M&P takes a little from 3-4 different systems and makes it its own.

2. Everything I've seen so far is encouraging. The one thing that stands out so far is how soft it shoots , everyone who has participated in the trial shoots with me agrees that its the softest shooting .40 caliber pistol they've shot.

Once I'm done (3-4 months ) I will post something either here or in the team forum to avoid as many fools as possible.

stay safe
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:24:46 AM EDT
One of the other officers on my department bought one... I looked at it a little bit but I haven't shot it or anything.

It seems pretty nice, but I noticed that the trigger looked the same as the Sigmas... HOPEFULLY it doesn't have the same pull, but I didn't dry fire it so I'm really not sure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:44:55 PM EDT
I just can't see how they will make significant headway in the LEO market when they cost so much more than a Glock..
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:11:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
I just can't see how they will make significant headway in the LEO market when they cost so much more than a Glock..

LEO Individual Officer price with Trijicon night sights and 3 magazines $455
Glock 22/23 with Mepros and three mags $489
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:27:00 PM EDT
Thanks, I will be looking forward to your results.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:39:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ColtM4:

Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:

LEO Individual Officer price with Trijicon night sights and 3 magazines $455
Glock 22/23 with Mepros and three mags $489

?
LEO Individual Officer price on a 22 with 3 mags and meprolights is 455 and trijicons is 477

I like the idea of competition, but like with their ar15's I don't see any real reason to switch
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:12:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:59:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 79shark:
Anyone out there using the new Smith and Wesson Military/Police pistol? I have been thinking about trading in the Beretta .40 for something with a rail. I like what I have read so far about the new Smith. Haven't been able to find one around here to finger f@#k, just wondering if anyone has any experience with one yet.

Don't buy it. it's a sad copy of the Glock 22.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:37:47 AM EDT
I wouldn't buy one after running a couple thousand rounds through it. Began having reliability issues, uncomfortable to shoot, etc. Too bad, too. Nice trigger and the interchangeable backstrap is nice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:05:12 PM EDT
Glenn R, I just read your review and found it very informative. I will be backing off of the M/P for now, unless S&W comes out with an updated model that addresses the issues you found. Thanks again for a very well-written and no BS review of the gun. Seems like if they iron out the details of the gun, it could be a consideration in the future.
Top Top