Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 8:20:12 PM EDT
Well, I had posted in here a few times and stated before I am interested in becoming an Officer.  After the ride along the other night, the deal is sealed.  

It was actually very interesting to see how everyone coordinates, the variety of calls, interaction with the public and other officers, and what you folks do, and hopefully me soon, generally do on a night-to-night basis.  

There were a couple calls that stand out.  On one call an officer called for backup, it did not sound like they were in trouble but they had someone at gun-point.  The second was a foot patrol and an officer was chasing a robbery suspect.  

In each of these cases I was amazed at the rapid, and I mean immediate response of all other units in the vicinity.  On the robbery case the call for backup came in, we U-turned, headed down the street and within 20 seconds I saw about 5 cars cross our street in front of us hauling ass to the location.  We pulled up, I think we were the 8th car by then, and this all occurred within 2 minutes at the absolute most.

In my old job I would be requesting help on a project, and most of the time folks would give the old, "I'll get around to helping when I can," or "sorry man, too busy."  If you asked for help from a separate branch, good luck.  This was company wide.  

But man, this was something else.  Being able to count on the cavalry coming in charging to get an officer out of a tight spot with basically no questions asked.   It was great to see and experience.  

So, I have decided without a doubt this is what I want.  I know there are many more aspects to the job, but in part, I want to have a career in which I know my coworkers will be watching my tail, ready to drop everything and cover me no questions.  And just as importantly, I want a career in which my coworkers know they can count on me to watch their six in just the same fashion.

Keep up the good work guys.

Be safe.

And of course, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
...sooo you had fun?...

GL in the future
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Its not always exciting, trust me.  Many nights of riding around with your thumb up your ass wishing something was going on.  But it is a good job.

Good luck in the future
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
You didn't "haul ass" with lights and sirens, did you.

As the above poster stated, it's not always exciting.

Work on your writing skillZZZ.  Because.  

The pen is mightier than the FORTEE.  Job is mostly writing.

Best of luck to you.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It is like a family.  Not everyone will like each other but when someone needs help everyone comes...and they haul ass doing it.
As a cop, your brother and sister officers need to be confident that if they are getting their ass kicked that you will do whatever it takes to get to them and that you will be right there beside them getting your ass kicked too.

It is confidence inspiring to know that your backup is reliable and immediate.

Quoted:
Well, I had posted in here a few times and stated before I am interested in becoming an Officer.  After the ride along the other night, the deal is sealed.  

It was actually very interesting to see how everyone coordinates, the variety of calls, interaction with the public and other officers, and what you folks do, and hopefully me soon, generally do on a night-to-night basis.  

There were a couple calls that stand out.  On one call an officer called for backup, it did not sound like they were in trouble but they had someone at gun-point.  The second was a foot patrol and an officer was chasing a robbery suspect.  

In each of these cases I was amazed at the rapid, and I mean immediate response of all other units in the vicinity.  On the robbery case the call for backup came in, we U-turned, headed down the street and within 20 seconds I saw about 5 cars cross our street in front of us hauling ass to the location.  We pulled up, I think we were the 8th car by then, and this all occurred within 2 minutes at the absolute most.

In my old job I would be requesting help on a project, and most of the time folks would give the old, "I'll get around to helping when I can," or "sorry man, too busy."  If you asked for help from a separate branch, good luck.  This was company wide.  

But man, this was something else.  Being able to count on the cavalry coming in charging to get an officer out of a tight spot with basically no questions asked.   It was great to see and experience.  

So, I have decided without a doubt this is what I want.  I know there are many more aspects to the job, but in part, I want to have a career in which I know my coworkers will be watching my tail, ready to drop everything and cover me no questions.  And just as importantly, I want a career in which my coworkers know they can count on me to watch their six in just the same fashion.

Keep up the good work guys.

Be safe.

And of course, thanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top