Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 6:25:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:26:31 PM EDT by jadams951]
Now we are required to all get our hair cut with a #1 blade. This coming after the 6th week into it already. Oh yeah, we got a new Sgt today...can you guess who gave us the haircut order? Nothing in the rules/regs says we have to get our hair cut that short.

Now I regret leaving the county.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:32:22 PM EDT
You wouldn't believe the games we had to play in the seven month long LAPD Academy. It's just something you have to do to get through...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:24:19 PM EDT
That's BS having to do that after being that far into it. Haircuts don't make cops, neither do mustaches.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:39:40 PM EDT
I feel for you, although that order came a little earlier for my class. During my first academy we had room inspections and were threatened with not going home on weekends if we failed. Several weeks into the program one of our instructors came outside to our formation raising mortal hell about a piece of lint he was holding. Of course we all thought it came from one of our toothbrush-clean rooms. After about a half hour of us sweating and plotting someone's death he starts asking where we thought he found it. A long few minutes later he smiles and says "in my pocket" and dismisses us.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:05:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 5:06:04 AM EDT by LEO916]
sounds like the lovely academy war stories.

Hang in there, when its done you will be so relieved.

How many weeks in all is your academy?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:11:54 AM EDT
It's just hair man.

Ain't nothing. Tell your self that and then tell yourself again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:30:34 AM EDT
You could call out the SGT and ask him to show you the haircut regulations in the SOP manual. Most depts only state that the male haircut shall be neat and not below the ears, eyebrows, and neckline. Of course, the rest of your stay at the academy will be hell since you are right about the haircut not having to be that short.

The instructors at my academy tried their power-trip crap on me too. I did my U.S. Army Basic Combat Training in Ft. Leonard, MO, in the middle of January. I was laughing on the inside, since there was nothing they could do to make my life as miserable as it was in Ft. Leonard Wood.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:59:06 AM EDT
You came this far....you meed to just say FIDO ("fxck it, drive on") and keep working your way to the end of the academy. Worked for me at MCRD and also at the other academies I've attended...it can work for you too brother.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:57:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 8:15:47 AM EDT by NorCal_LEO]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:13:45 AM EDT
Agreed, it's just hair. Pick and choose the battles, while haircut/uniform fuckings-with should have come early on, maybe there's been a discipline shift in the class that needed attention?

Take it one step further - shave it all off.

Don't let the little rules sweat you, or you'll go crazy!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:35:06 AM EDT
During our recruit training for the FD, we had to keep our hair high and tight, it was more comfortable, so I didn't mind it. We also had to be clean shaven everday, and during inspection, the officers would check by rubbing a credit card up your face, and it better not make any noise. One recruit, who was later fired, consistantly didn't shave. One morning, it was approx. 25 deg outside, the instructors made him dry shave, with a single blade bic razor. His face was raw and bleeding, needless to say, he shaved everyday after.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:26:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NorCal_LEO:
I bet the women cadets are pissed.

Yeah, right. Like that's going to happen. Maybe in the bikini area. Standards are not uniform you know.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By trippletap:
You came this far....you meed to just say FIDO ("fxck it, drive on") and keep working your way to the end of the academy. Worked for me at MCRD and also at the other academies I've attended...it can work for you too brother.

Big plus one to that. Suck it up, it's almost over.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:26:16 PM EDT
All things are done for a reason in the academy...Your hair will grow back!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:28:53 PM EDT
wonderful....cops thinking they are drill sergeants. What next?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 1:57:22 PM EDT by pevrs114]

Originally Posted By dvr9:

Discipline within the ranks, The ability to follow lawful orders from superiors without question, Sense of pride in yourself and your job, Attention to detail, Ability to negotiate complex tasks while subject to various internal and external stressors...

Not picking a fight, just pointing out that there are often times reasons for the "games".

Of course, the guy could just be an asshole!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:03:35 PM EDT
Our instructors weren't on base during the weekends so we had a little more leway or so we thought. One weekend I decided to go with a mohawk for shits and giggles. That saturday night, we decided to go into town to the local brew pub. So, who is at the first table of the bar as we walk in, a bunch of PT instructors. Oh yea, and before I noticed them, I was busy gazing at their dates...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:01:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pevrs114:

Discipline within the ranks, The ability to follow lawful orders from superiors without question, Sense of pride in yourself and your job, Attention to detail, Ability to negotiate complex tasks while subject to various internal and external stressors...

Not picking a fight, just pointing out that there are often times reasons for the "games".

Of course, the guy could just be an asshole!

That was my point...I have no problem with discipline and instilling the ability to respect rank, but grass drills because a SGT found lint in his pocket is nonsense. That type of bullshit doesn't create good police officers, it breeds a JBT "abuse power because we can" attitudes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:03:57 PM EDT
Can anyone explain why the heck a PD academy is being run like a military boot camp? They're training public servants, not troops.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:26:03 PM EDT
I use a #1 on my clippers once every 2 weeks. I hate dealing with hair, and it's the easist remedy. I wouldn't sweat it. Once the academy is over, you'll just have to follow department policy, which can't be that stringent. I hated all of my Sgt's in the academy, but it was 6 months of my life, and no big deal now. Hang in there...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:52:50 PM EDT
Not much I can add, other than good luck and I hope you get through it.

In terms of challenging the rule, I wouldn't. There will be plenty of fights worth picking, this isn't one of them. As much as it may suck, it's just hair. I will also add that I think the most aggravating part of it is the sudden (and relatively late) new rule. If you're like me, as an experienced cop, you had randomness and inconsistency, which is what that order reeks of.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:17:53 PM EDT
ever think that maybe they do that in week 6 of every academy?

just to see who gets pissed and quits?

just a thought...

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 6:47:25 PM EDT by 47]
arent you being a p#ssy call the whammmbuullananace for you, poor boy has to cut his hippie hair....whhhhh LOL!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:49:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 47:
arent you being a p#ssy call the whammmbuullananace for you, poor boy has to cut his hippie hair....whhhhh LOL!!!!!

psy-op
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:15:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 47:

Yeah you're right. IT took alot cutting it down to a #1 guard from a #3 on top and 0 on the back and sides. It's hard to play the games after you've already been a cop for 8 years before changing agencies.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:45:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:

Originally Posted By 47:

Yeah you're right. IT took alot cutting it down to a #1 guard from a #3 on top and 0 on the back and sides. It's hard to play the games after you've already been a cop for 8 years before changing agencies.

Ok now I see your point. Game playing sux. But you are the older wiser Sheep dog.
Too bad you can't read the minds of the other recruits that are green bean fresh. I bet they are $#!tting their pants.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:10:43 AM EDT
Academy V/S Boot Camp. Police departments are paramilitary organizations. law enforcement is a stressful career and mandates decision making under stress. By inducing stress and mental fatigue via head games and unpassable inspections cadets are taught to press on and fight through the fatigue and stress while maintaining a high academic commitment. It divides those who "want it' and those who just want a job. If you can't bear up under a well run tough academy chances are you ain't gonna stand your ground up butt crack hollow at 0200 facing down a car load of drunks.

When I went though the WVSP Academy in 1995 I watched squared away former marines, rangers, and a former air Force cct leave under cover of night, sneaking out to thier cars. Were they tough enough? Probably. Did they have the level of commitment? Obviously not. What would that have translated into in a shooting situation?

I dread watching our academy morph into a more colegiate environment with no sleep deprivation and little verbal abuse. That's why academy life is the way it is. It has worked for numerous years and I see no reason to mcuk about with it to accomodate those who cannot understand the difference between games people play, non structured behavior tests and being "picked on".
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:29:46 AM EDT
Dang, at least I'd have a good excuse for the wife if the boss "ordered" me to use a #1. I'm one of those that hates dealing with hair.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:48:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:03:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By USMC2111:
Can anyone explain why the heck a PD academy is being run like a military boot camp? They're training public servants, not troops.

Semper Fi

Do you want officers who don't understand how (or why) to follow a direct order from their supervisor?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:01:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:
Now we are required to all get our hair cut with a #1 blade. This coming after the 6th week into it already. Oh yeah, we got a new Sgt today...can you guess who gave us the haircut order? Nothing in the rules/regs says we have to get our hair cut that short.

Now I regret leaving the county.

Which academy are you in?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:16:56 AM EDT
+1

The "boot camp" treatment goes a long way to weed out those who can't or won't perform under pressure. It also helps them develop the self discipline needed to be an effective law enforcement officer.

Originally Posted By FALSNARS:
Academy V/S Boot Camp. Police departments are paramilitary organizations. law enforcement is a stressful career and mandates decision making under stress. By inducing stress and mental fatigue via head games and unpassable inspections cadets are taught to press on and fight through the fatigue and stress while maintaining a high academic commitment. It divides those who "want it' and those who just want a job. If you can't bear up under a well run tough academy chances are you ain't gonna stand your ground up butt crack hollow at 0200 facing down a car load of drunks.

When I went though the WVSP Academy in 1995 I watched squared away former marines, rangers, and a former air Force cct leave under cover of night, sneaking out to thier cars. Were they tough enough? Probably. Did they have the level of commitment? Obviously not. What would that have translated into in a shooting situation?

I dread watching our academy morph into a more colegiate environment with no sleep deprivation and little verbal abuse. That's why academy life is the way it is. It has worked for numerous years and I see no reason to mcuk about with it to accomodate those who cannot understand the difference between games people play, non structured behavior tests and being "picked on".

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:31:34 PM EDT
I'd probably have a much better attitude about the whole thing if I hadn't already been on the streets for 8 years before. Having to redo a basic academy again for the second time sucks. Only 7 weeks in to it and today we get told we have to be running around 4 or 5 miles already!!! Can't wait to see how far we are running at 21 or 22 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 7:32:03 PM EDT by cloak-n-carbine]

Originally Posted By USMC2111:

Semper Fi

With all due respect, if you need to ask, I don't think explaining it will do much good.

Certainly not a slam to jadams951, but at least he gets to go home at the end of the training day

Edit to say.....good luck jadams951.....pain is temporary, pride is forever!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:21:03 PM EDT
#1? Waaah! LOL Damn hippies! Real men use #0.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:09:02 AM EDT
I've been on 25 years and still have my hair cut with a #1 blade, summer or winter.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:43:34 AM EDT

Exactly, militarization of the police, nah, it's all in our minds.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:45:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gaspasser:
I've been on 25 years and still have my hair cut with a #1 blade, summer or winter.

20 years for me.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:49:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TxLewis:

TXL

When Theodore Roosevelt was Asst Superitendent of NYPD, they used the US Army Drill and Ceremony manual to teach police officers how to march. The NYPD was also bigger tha the USMC.

I guess the militirization of police...............................
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:49:59 AM EDT
Well, considering that police departments are para-military organizations....it makes some sense, doesn't it?

TXL

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:52:02 AM EDT

Well, considering that police departments are para-military organizations....it makes some sense, doesn't it?

TXL

It was a British chap that said profesional police departments are "psuedo-military organizations"

That durn Robert Peel.................... profesionalizing the police by making them "psuedo-military orgaizations".
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:24:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery:

TXL

It was a British chap that said profesional police departments are "psuedo-military organizations"

That durn Robert Peel.................... profesionalizing the police by making them "psuedo-military orgaizations".

So what you're trying to say is Sir Robert Peel was the original, "Only one PROFESSIONAL ENOUGH. "
Top Top