Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2006 6:57:03 PM EDT
Was wanting to know how these work for duty? Some of the people in my Reserve class said the higher-ups were going to allow the 5.11's for duty on the street. They seem to look good and have some nice features from what I can see on line. Also how would the pants be for casual wear? Could you get away with wearing them like jeans or do they shout "TACTICAL TED" FBI wannabe?
Thanks.......Trapfan
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:03:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 7:14:31 PM EDT by gcpd19]
Which ones? The Tactical "FBI" or the Class A/Class B. If it is the Tactical, they fade really bad. We wear the Class B, which is like the Blauer Street Gear pants, they are very comfortable, don't fade, and have sap pockets on each side. The only complaint I have with them is the zipper is not long enough for those 'ol so special calls from nature.

As a side note, I do own the Tactical "FBI" style in tan, I've had them for about 5 years now. They wear like steel on the firing range.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:11:27 PM EDT
I was issued six pair OD GREEN 5.11 trousers when I came down in September to work in NOLA. I have three pair I have never worn, and the three I rotate out of are still serviceable after six months. Im sold on em.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
I got a pair of the TDUs a while back. I wish I could use them for duty.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:54:46 AM EDT
All of our patrol personnel are authorized to wear the class B style pants (cargo pockets) and everyone who does praises them. The shirts are authorized also but most of us prefer the Blauer polo style short sleeve shirt.

The only drawback is the price. Replacing these seriously bites into an officer's uniform allowance.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:32:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:36:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gcpd19:
Which ones? The Tactical "FBI" or the Class A/Class B. If it is the Tactical, they fade really bad. We wear the Class B, which is like the Blauer Street Gear pants, they are very comfortable, don't fade, and have sap pockets on each side. The only complaint I have with them is the zipper is not long enough for those 'ol so special calls from nature.

Exactly what he said.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:34:55 PM EDT
Really like the khaki/tan. Our DD allowed purchase of new pants and shirts but only in black. He wanted us to look more "tactical". Dont get the black! They show every piece of lint and dirt, plus in my opinion, look ridiculous. I can only imagine what they will feel like in the summeer heat. Only my .02 worth..Great clothes tho...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:00:56 PM EDT
Very, very tough pants. You will wear holes in them long before one thread in a seam comes loose.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:24:49 PM EDT
I use mine for EMS, LOVE THEM! I have used the shorts version as normal wear shorts for many years. I bought the shorts over three years ago and they haven't even faded yet, that alone worn out. I normally can't keep pants/shorts for more than one year before destruction. Very well made.

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine fell while wearing them. She tore her knee completely open and needed 10 large stitches to close it. The pants didn't even have a mark on them. Until we took off her pants ( yeah I know ) she thought she just bruised it because of the lack of damage to the pants.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:25:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 8:05:01 PM EDT by Trapfan]
Thanks for your guys thoughts. While some of us in class met at the local Coney Island in the city where we will be working Friday nite going over some things about report taking a few full timers stopped by. They said it is a done deal and it will be the 5.11 class "B" dark navy uniform for duty wear. They were very happy to be going to this style as they said the old style uniform was hot and uncomfortable over a long shift. They also said some had wanted to go to nylon duty belts and holsters but the brass said no and will stick with the basket weave stuff.Thanks again for your insight.......Trapfan.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
Very, very tough pants. You will wear holes in them long before one thread in a seam comes loose.

This is what I was hoping for when I ordered a pair of 5.11 pants. I have 2 older pair of actual Royal Robbins half dome pants that I love. However, when the new 5.11's arrived, there was a spot on the inseam that was already pulling apart. GRRRRR. They have been returned for a refund, and I will buy another pair of the royal robbins soon, as they appear to be just a bit higher quality. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:19:06 PM EDT
I like them. Have you seen the 5.11 polo shirts?, sweet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:58:22 PM EDT
How do they compare to SIG-TAC?
Top Top