Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 2:51:20 PM EDT
What are some good options for a off duty holster for my Springfield 1911? I hate my Fobus paddle holster. Is the Galco pancake holster any good or what are some other options? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Inside or outside the waistband?

aa
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be for outside the waist on a regular 1.5" belt. Is leather or kydex/plastic better?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got a Don Hume H726-P for my TLEII/RL. I like it so far. Seems like it is pretty solid but I've only had it for about a week and a half. Price wasn't too insane either.
Wish I could get a CQC Serpa for it, I have one for my HK and it is great.

I think if I ever get a light for that Kimber I'll be looking at a BladeTech kydex holster.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:41:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Desantis makes one that is really nice in the HRT.  High ride pancake w/ thumbbreak that allows for condition one carry.  The retention w/o the snap fastened is also very good.  Supposedly, it is the FBI HRT issue holster?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a Yaqui slide holster?  I liked mine before I went to ankle carry.  (Not that I prefer ankle carry, but policy dictates that weapons carried while in plain clothes will be concealed.  Since Florida is too hot for a suit coat about 80% of the time that leaves ankle or inside the shirt.  I prefer ankle to inside the shirt.  I see no reason to change between on-duty method of carry and off-duty.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It would be for outside the waist on a regular 1.5" belt. Is leather or kydex/plastic better?

That's almost a religious question

A holster first and foremost needs to safely hold the weapon, i.e. it should only come out when taken out and should cover the trigger guard. Both leather and Kydex will do that. After that, it should weigh nothing, be as thin as possible and otherwise be as comfortable as possible. After that comes ease of use, other factors and fashion.

There are definite differences between Kydex and leather in those later areas.

Kydex is lighter than leather. Kydex is thinner and less bulky than leather. Kydex requires no break in. Kydex needs no maintenance except for the occasional screw adjustment and a squirt of Windex. Kydex does not absorb sweat or other dirt.

Leather is arguably prettier and more fashionable than Kydex. It can feel better against the skin. It won't trap a piece of grit and scratch the finish on your weapon. Depending on the holster, it also might have a bit more give than a stiff piece of Kydex.

I chose Kydex. "Form follows function" is my fashion. I don't mind a scratch or two on my weapon. I was also able to choose a holster that, with only a single belt slot, provided enough give so that the weapon was comfortable to wear. It can be a bit sweaty, though.

If you are looking for Kydex I'd say check out Blade-Tech at www.blade-tech.com. A simple belt slot is very thin and non-bulky, stay away from the "Tek-Lok" attachment. The models with a single belt slot have quite a bit of give and are very comfortable.

If you want a Kydex holster that feels like it is bolted to your belt with no give at all, look at Comp-Tac at www.comp-tac.com. Their double slot holsters are very rigid.

However you go make sure you have a GOOD belt. Double thick leather or stiff webbing. It's your foundation and your holster may not be comfortable otherwise.

aa

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bianchi Askins Avenger that I love for my Gov't Model.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Bob mernickle PS6 I believe it is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Consider getting an IWB holster, and go check out Crossbreedholster.com

Their prices are cheaper than Comp-tac, and Tucker, with a nearly identical design.   Mike, the owner, will make it custom to your specs, for no extra charge.   The holsters are less than half the price of others.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have a Bianchi Askins Avenger that I love for my Gov't Model.

Very good holster.  I use a Sparks 'Summer Special' for IWB, and for the belt, Alessi DOJ thumbreak.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
When I had my 1911, I carried it in a Galco FLETCH, with a GG&G belt.  Good rig, between the two of them it was about $85.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
And the Summer Special is an excellent IWB holster.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:08:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Blackhawk CQC SERPA, from a vendor here of course.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out>
http://www.tacticalholsters.com/

Good quality, good price. Love mine!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top