Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:58:26 AM EDT
I have a friend that just turned 40 and has been employed in his job for the past decade or so and the other day mentioned that he is attending the police officer program at the community college at nights because he wants "more". I support his choice to pursue other ventures even though he's never served one day in the military, and doesn't seem to me to be the kind of person that would take well to orders, uniforms, hair cuts or giving up his weekend parties.

Anyway, what are the real world chances of my friend actually getting hired as a police office considering his age?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyway, what are the real world chances of my friend actually getting hired as a police office considering his age?

Age alone? Not a problem at all. Encouraged even.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Age alone? Not a problem at all. Encouraged even.

+1.  People with more life experience are encouraged to try out for law enforcement.  40 year olds, assuming they've been halfway productive citizens, certainly have more BTDT time than the average 20-something.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a friend that just turned 40 and has been employed in his job for the past decade or so and the other day mentioned that he is attending the police officer program at the community college at nights because he wants "more". I support his choice to pursue other ventures even though he's never served one day in the military, and doesn't seem to me to be the kind of person that would take well to orders, uniforms, hair cuts or giving up his weekend parties.

That's what I did. Not a party guy though.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
......................I support his choice to pursue other ventures even though he's never served one day in the military, and doesn't seem to me to be the kind of person that would take well to orders, uniforms, hair cuts or giving up his weekend parties.

Getting hired might not be the hard part. Staying with the job may be the most difficult if he cannot take orders, wear the proper uniform, keep neatly groomed, etc. On the other hand, if he can stick with the program, he might make a great officer. I have seen a few come out later in life and they tend to be fairly stable and good officers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:20:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not saying he won't be able to make a good officer, but knowing him as a guy that likes guns, beer, sports, staying up late chasing women, sleeping late on the weekends, and pretty mellow and low-key, I was surprised to find him making such a change from computer/website stuff to becoming an LEO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top