Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 5:06:42 PM EDT
My question is this. If you stop a teen for a driving infraction IE speeding, made an agressive u-turn, his license looks like a new one so he looks like he has a curfew and shouldn't be driving at 2am. You tell him you are going to call his parents and he starts argueing with you about doing that. To please call his friend or his brother to come pick him up. You get ahold of the parents and find out he has an 11 year old brother not old enough to drive obviuosly. The parents show up and clear up the license issue. He had lost his wallet hence the new looking license.

What would you do with an arguementative little ..it? Ticket him ??????
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My question is this. If you stop a teen for a driving infraction IE speeding, made an agressive u-turn, his license looks like a new one so he looks like he has a curfew and shouldn't be driving at 2am. You tell him you are going to call his parents and he starts argueing with you about doing that. To please call his friend or his brother to come pick him up. You get ahold of the parents and find out he has an 11 year old brother not old enough to drive obviuosly. The parents show up and clear up the license issue. He had lost his wallet hence the new looking license.

What would you do with an arguementative little ..it? Ticket him ??????hr

Huh?

Questions:

"Looks like he has a curfew?"-did he or not?

What does the 11yo have to do with it?  Is this the brother he wanted you to call?

How did the parents clear up the license issue?  Normally in IL  a parent isn't going to have any more info than what is printed on the license or I can get from my MDT.  

Personally, I never invlolve parents unless jr is under 18.  To me, at 18 you're grown and responsible for yourself.

Arguing gets a ticket-maybe more than one.  I have a voice activated pen, you keep talking and I'll keep writing.

Stay safe.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how the parents handle it. If it looks like he will be punished by Dad and Mom, I'd leave it at that. If the parents show up and blow it off, ticket.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It's the spirit of the law with me, not the letter.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me clarify somethings

1- I am the step dad.
2- He is 17years old
3- The officer spoke to me on the phone and told me what the boy said. I told him that his brother is 11years old. So basically I told the officer he was lying about that.
4- The officer made his assumption on the temp license the step son produced. When we arrived he told us about the rules when you first get a new license there is a curfew. In dumbasses defense we told the officer that it was a replacement since dumb shit lost his wallet.

In this day and age where kids seem to get away with murder. Schools and CPS telling this little gems that no one can touch you or tell you what to do that is not your parent. How can this kids learn respect for authority when they are not at home it the authorities don't slap the living shit out of them with some legaleeeeeze. IE tickets, throw there little ssses in the back of the squad car in cuffs and just reaming them for the lack of respect

Sorry but I'm just venting at the way things were handled last night. Your opinions are most welcome on this new info
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read this post several times and still don't understand it.  I'm not sure if you're pissed at the cops or at the step son.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've read this post several times and still don't understand it.  I'm not sure if you're pissed at the cops or at the step son.

+1  No comprende....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I see you are from Washington.  The way the restriction works is that the first six months of their license they have restrictions as to when they can drive and no passengers under 20 years old.  This isn't something you can BS the LEO about.  I comes back on the Department of Licensing return when the LEO runs the name and DOB.  
I have kids try it all the time.  They claim they didn't know about the restrictions.  It is a bunch of bull because it is drilled into them in drivers training.  If I do call the parents they usually tell me that JR knows about the restrictions.  If JR is honest about violating the restrictions, within reason, I get the parents to the scene and let them handle it.  If JR tries to BS me and lie, I write the ticket.  I not only write them for the license violation ($101), I also write for what I stopped JR for ($101min).  I figure the $202 min fine will get their attention.  Then they can explain their thought process to the judge as well.  If they want to live in an adult world they need to learn to take responsibility for their adult actions.
While I am then waiting for daddy or mommy to come get them they get the lecture, captive audience.  The topic of discussion is honesty and that I hate liars.  Your covering for JR did nothing but make him think he can get away with it again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If JR is honest about violating the restrictions, within reason, I get the parents to the scene and let them handle it.  If JR tries to BS me and lie, I write the ticket.  

+1 and thats all I have to say about that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

1- I am the step dad.
2- He is 17years old
3- The officer spoke to me on the phone and told me what the boy said. I told him that his brother is 11years old. So basically I told the officer he was lying about that.
4- The officer made his assumption on the temp license the step son produced. When we arrived he told us about the rules when you first get a new license there is a curfew. In dumbasses defense we told the officer that it was a replacement since dumb shit lost his wallet.

In this day and age where kids seem to get away with murder. Schools and CPS telling this little gems that no one can touch you or tell you what to do that is not your parent. How can this kids learn respect for authority when they are not at home it the authorities don't slap the living shit out of them with some legaleeeeeze. IE tickets, throw there little ssses in the back of the squad car in cuffs and just reaming them for the lack of respect

Sorry but I'm just venting at the way things were handled last night. Your opinions are most welcome on this new info

Well eddie, assuming you were in TX instead of WA, if you wanted him to learn a lesson I might have put him in jail for you. That might have done the trick since we are allowed to do such horrible things as arrest people on traffic charges. I would at least have stroked him with a couple of citations.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, if i stop a teen for a traffic infraction, I usually will not call the parents.  If I get some booze or something else in the car, I will defiantly call.  Usually parents are happy when you call and let them know what their kid is doing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

1- I am the step dad.
2- He is 17years old

Did you tell the Officer to scare thes ht out of him when he was on the phone?
What was he doing out at 2:00 AM?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Please excuse the gramatical erors, I was rushed.

Hausy to answer your comment. We did not lie to the officer about my stepsons license. He lost his wallet. My wife took him last week to get a new one. They issued a temporary paper one that gives the date of last week when it was issued. He's 17 now he's had his license since he was 151/2 so no curfew. I will not lie for anyone. So whatever returned from DMV did not reflect a reissue.

He was supposed to be spending the night at a friends house. He supposedly got a call from a friend that needed a ride. At that time of the night I call BS.

I just wanted to see how many LEO thought like I did. Zero tolerance when it come to new drivers or should I say teenagers  that get in trouble.

I'm pissed at the stepson for his behavior and me having to wake his mom. I'm not pissed at the LEO, I just don't understand why he let him off. The kid has it good at home so before anyone thinks other wise that not an issue. This kid is in advanced placement classes very intelligent. Just when he's away we can't control what they do and the parents can't always be blamed for their behavior. So If they do something stupid I figure they should pay to play just like everyone else. Give them no slack.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I might be a little more harsh on kids than some others, but I generally write them if giving the option.  My thought process is that many bad driving adults started out as bad driving teenagers, and better to nip that sort of stuff in the bud.  J&D traffic court around here is much more strict than grown-up traffic court, and judges like to yank licenses.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats what I'm talking about, get to them before it turns into a real problem
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate all of the comments and point of views. Keep up the good work and may God watch over all of you each and every day.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#16]
The city I work in has an 11PM curfew. anyone found out in public aftetr that hour is detained until as sober responsible adult relative or guardian comes and picks them up. They can also be cited into juvenile court.

Any juvenile cited or arrested for a misdemeanor or non violent felony is released to a parent regardless of time of day.

Those cited for infractions who are not in violation of curfew are given a ticket and released without the parents being notified. We do not enforce "curfews" imposed by parents.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Please excuse the gramatical erors, I was rushed.

Hausy to answer your comment. We did not lie to the officer about my stepsons license. He lost his wallet. My wife took him last week to get a new one. They issued a temporary paper one that gives the date of last week when it was issued. He's 17 now he's had his license since he was 151/2 so no curfew. I will not lie for anyone. So whatever returned from DMV did not reflect a reissue.

He was supposed to be spending the night at a friends house. He supposedly got a call from a friend that needed a ride. At that time of the night I call BS.

I just wanted to see how many LEO thought like I did. Zero tolerance when it come to new drivers or should I say teenagers  that get in trouble.

I'm pissed at the stepson for his behavior and me having to wake his mom. I'm not pissed at the LEO, I just don't understand why he let him off. The kid has it good at home so before anyone thinks other wise that not an issue. This kid is in advanced placement classes very intelligent. Just when he's away we can't control what they do and the parents can't always be blamed for their behavior. So If they do something stupid I figure they should pay to play just like everyone else. Give them no slack.

You should go to DMV and yank his license yourself until he is 18.  I have parents go all the time.  Its a privilege for Juvies.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I would have wrote the kid a ticket. If there is a curfew for his age, I would refer him to the Juvy officer for a follow up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I am 50/50 on citing juveniles for curfew.  Our Juvenile court is so damn weak it isn't funny so sometimes it isn't worth the work of citing, doing the paperwork, spending 2 hours in court on my day off, all to have the kid have nothing happen anyway.  9 times out of 10 it is the parent that pays any fine anyway for something a juvenile does.  If the parent steps up and offers to handle the situation then that is normally the way I go with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Your writing skills suck. I did write a rant about you but I'm not even sure if it's correct with how terrible you tell a story. Also calling you kid a dumbass, you're  just a stupid *&$% who shouldn't have kids. How do you like that?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#21]
LEO chiming in.

Would have written the speeding ticket.

Would have phoned parents if he is below curfew age (here it is 16 and under so I wouldn't have called them in this case)

Would have waited with him at the scene of the stop for parents to come pick him up if they wished, or would have followed him straight home where I would verify he made it home.

I tend to favor notifying parents anytime a child 16 or under gets into some trouble. If it was a basic traffic ticket I wouldn't normally call, but if the kid seemed to be trying to hide something, I'd be calling them. I really like it when the parents are the type who will deal with their child in a more convincing manner than the court would by simply having him pay a speeding fine.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LEO chiming in.

Would have phoned parents if he is below curfew age (here it is 16 and under so I wouldn't have called them in this case)

Would have waited with him at the scene of the stop for parents to come pick him up if they wished, or would have followed him straight home where I would verify he made it home.

I tend to favor notifying parents anytime a child 16 or under gets into some trouble. If it was a basic traffic ticket I wouldn't normally call, but if the kid seemed to be trying to hide something, I'd be calling them. I really like it when the parents are the type who will deal with their child in a more convincing manner than the court would by simply having him pay a speeding fine.

+1
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Parents are getting called no matter what the kid says.
Him arguing about it just annihilated any chances he would have of getting any warnings. Which knowing how kids drive at 2AM, probably not that good a chance of getting a warning anyway.

Also him wanting me to call anyone but mom and dad makes me wonder if there is something else going on that I should be investigating. Maybe something in the car that shouldn't be there, or some substance in his blood that shouldn't be there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
LEO chiming in.

+2 - If I get the feeling that mom/dad won't appropriately deal with junior then the cite book comes out.

Brian
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm  glad to see most of you will ticket and lecture the minors.

Paganswede I'm sorry you don't like me calling him a dumbass. Thats called venting my frustration. As far as my writing skills go and story telling abilities go. I have ADHD so when I'm excited it hard to focus and sometimes when I write I get ahead of myself so it comes out all jumbled.  This kid has it made, a loving mom thats involved with him in all sorts of activities, a nice home, has everything he could ever need. He just got accepted to the University of Washington. He's pissing it all away by hanging with the wrong people and making bad choices.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#26]
LEO's opinion. I don't mean to be critical, but maybe he has it too good. If he's hanging with the wrong crowd and pissing away his future, then maybe he doesn't need a car that bad. I've seen too many times, parents give their child the best of everything and they are usually the worst kids. I had very little growing up, but appreciate everything that I have WORKED for. I personally would have cited and lectured him before you got there, then let you have your way with him. I usually say something like, "he's all yours now", when I release them. Good luck getting him back on the right track.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#27]
MPD165

This all happened saturday night fyi.

I agree with you 100%. We have taken the car away in the past. I back my wife up every chance I get. But we can't control his every move when he's out of the house. So at his age he has to make the correct choices and live with his consequences.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:58:28 AM EDT
[#28]
MPD165

Sunday he snuck out in the middle of the night and went to a friends house to hang out. Well the police showed up because of a noise complaint. Well guess what, they found a large bag of weed and some other drugs. He was arrested along with a bunch of other kids.

His comment when his mom spoke to him was that he is a minor and since it wasn't his apartment and not his weed because he didn't fess up to it that he won't get in trouble. My sincere apologies and sympathies go out to all of you LEO that have to deal with these knuckle heads.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Had a similar situation last weekend. We (my partenr and I) were working a part time job at an upscale neighborhood clubhouse that night. Throughout the night we probably caught 10-15 kids drinking. The werent shit faced.but they had been drinking, so we just called their parents and had them come get them. Now the last little ass we caught, refused to give us his phone number, didn't know his parents cell phone numbers etc. Well needless to say we called our dispatcher and was able to locate a number for his parents, doing a name check in the CAD for his last name. Dad shows up and we give him the scoop. Out of no where the kid starts screaming at dad telling him to take him the fuck home. SOLUTION: We yanked his ass up, and he is now a guest at the Fayette County B&B courtesy of the Sheriff. What a little punk!!!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Lied = Ticket.
Honest and no warrants = Warning slip.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
MPD165

His comment when his mom spoke to him was that he is a minor and since it wasn't his apartment and not his weed because he didn't fess up to it that he won't get in trouble.

I love the kids who think they are untouchable because they are minors.  They act the same way when they turn 18 and then they are MINE.  They go to jail, directly to jail.  The best ones are the ones with the parents that call and ask, "He is only 18, he won't be in with the other criminals, will he?"  Yes maam, right into general population with everyone else.

You and your wife need to assert who the parent is in this relationship.  His excuse is just a continuation of the rest of the BS he has been feeding you for a long time.  I'm sure he wasn't going to inhale either.  Your house, your rules.  You decide when he comes and goes.  You decide if he has a car.  You decide everything.  When he is 18 he is free to walk out the door and do what he wants.  If he decides he wants to stay, and you allow it, your rules - not his.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
MPD165

Sunday he snuck out in the middle of the night and went to a friends house to hang out. Well the police showed up because of a noise complaint. Well guess what, they found a large bag of weed and some other drugs. He was arrested along with a bunch of other kids.

His comment when his mom spoke to him was that he is a minor and since it wasn't his apartment and not his weed because he didn't fess up to it that he won't get in trouble. My sincere apologies and sympathies go out to all of you LEO that have to deal with these knuckle heads.

I don't how old your son is, but here in Texas, criminal responsibilty starts at 17. It sounds as if your the kind of parents that will do the right thing when confronted with these situations.
I agree that you cant control his behavior when he leaves the house, he has to use good judgement and considering he lied to the police and snuck out of the house, it doesn't look as though he is concidering the consequences. I hope that any tickets he is getting, your making him pay for. It may not become a warrant until he turns 18, but it will be there and its been my experience that the kids usually forget about them until it catches up with them at the most unopportune times.
What he may not realize is when he hangs out with this crowd he is being associated with them and we do remember those things.
You can't chain him down, but you do still have some leverage with him.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#33]
The parents would have to have to come up with something really good for this kid to not get a ticket.

Also - juvenile with duplicate(replacement) license SCREAMS to me the original is probably somewhere else altered to be used as a fake ID.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#34]
He's 17 .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top