Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/17/2006 6:00:15 AM EDT
With the large number of LEOs on the board their must be some Detectives and guys who do under cover work among them. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:49:32 AM EDT
Whatcha need? I've done some UC work, currently doing juvenile/sex crimes investigations. I won't claim to be an expert by any stretch, though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:49:49 AM EDT
No UC work, but I'm a (new) detective. Going on 8 months now. Loving it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:33:18 AM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:48:05 AM EDT
I just completed a 3 year UC assignment in a narc unit. What can I help you with??
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:47:12 PM EDT
Homicide for 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:47:22 PM EDT
I was curious about career path for that type of work. Do you take different classes in the academy based on what type of LE work you want to do? Are UC guys usually more experienced officers or do they use newer guys so it is less likely they will be recognized as cops?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:34:48 PM EDT
On my department, you have the opportunity to take non-patrol assignment while not promoting to detective. These assignments are usually given to deputies with a minimum of three years on the streets and are awarded on a competitive basis. I think it is a mistake, except in rare occasions, for an inexperienced officer to be put in a UC role.

Our academy is the same for all recruits, regrdless of where you want to end up as a LEO. As a matter of fact, when I was hired 10 years ago I had absolutley no desire to work narcs or UC activities. With a few years of experiience, I took the opportunity in the assignment to better myself as a LEO and witht he term of the assignment completed, I believe it has made me a better patrol officer now that I have experience in investigations.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:22:42 PM EDT

I was curious about career path for that type of work. Do you take different classes in the academy based on what type of LE work you want to do? Are UC guys usually more experienced officers or do they use newer guys so it is less likely they will be recognized as cops?

Classes are the same for everyone when you are going through the academy initially. when you become a sworn personnel then you might get a chance to put in for specific classes as on going training.
UC are a mixture of both, seasoned members usually handles the new transfers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:27:56 PM EDT
Detective, for us, is a lateral move. I actually lost money when I became an investigator because I had to give up my FTO pay (no FTO slots in CIB). This is my second tour here...I did four years in patrol, a month in the narcs, then six months in the burglary squad. I went back to patrol for three more years, then when an opening in the pervert squad opened up, I was offered it and took it.

In terms of UC, what we do is offer an undercover school for anyone who wants it, the only requirement is to have at least one year on and not be a shithead (ie some guys get turned down). Once you've survived the one week UC school, you can put in for the list for narcs/VICE (same unit), then pass the interview panel. The quickest way to get there is to do good work, express interest in the assignment, then do well in UC school.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:06:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bonk2029:
Detective, for us, is a lateral move. I actually lost money when I became an investigator because I had to give up my FTO pay (no FTO slots in CIB). This is my second tour here...I did four years in patrol, a month in the narcs, then six months in the burglary squad. I went back to patrol for three more years, then when an opening in the pervert squad opened up, I was offered it and took it.

In terms of UC, what we do is offer an undercover school for anyone who wants it, the only requirement is to have at least one year on and not be a shithead (ie some guys get turned down). Once you've survived the one week UC school, you can put in for the list for narcs/VICE (same unit), then pass the interview panel. The quickest way to get there is to do good work, express interest in the assignment, then do well in UC school.

I would venture to guess that is about standard in most agencies. You get out of field training and probably put 1-5 years on patrol per department policy. Once you have gained experience, then you try for detectives, narcs, dogs, swat, etc.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:55:07 PM EDT
I was a Master Det. on our dept for 17 years , Heart Attack and ret. The rank on our dept is permanent, same rank as Sgt. Gold badge and all..Served most of my time in Crimes Against Persons/Metro Homicide...UC is usually younger Patromen supervised by a Det...you have to have been on at least five years just to take the Det. Xam....Promotions are done by testing andoral board with the city and the F.O.P. just to make sure everything is n the up and up...I can't tell you how satisfying it is to take a raw case work it up and put one of our Great NorthAmerican Dog asses in the joint...if you have the vocation to Investigate Crimes let nothing stand in your way..you won"t be sorry.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 6:46:45 PM EDT by pd7575]
I work UC narcotics. In my dept you go into the regular accademy and then go to the street for amount of time you then apply for narcotics and it is up to you if you want to do UC also the brass has to agree you are able to do it. From there you do lower level UC such as buy bust, simple intoduction stuff to see if you can BS and handle it. If you work out then you get schools.

UC work is a blast but it is much easier to do without a family then it is with. Long hours, away from home, leaving in the middle of the night and most wifes do not understand when they call and you are in a strip club and can not talk.

If you are intrested there are alot of good books that show a little of the inside of UC work and what you have to deal with while doing it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:49:53 PM EDT
I've worked UC narcotics for over four years. My department is probably like most, You go to the academy and work patrol for a while (5 1/2 years for me) then put in for detectives.. Once you feel up to UC you'll likely start out doing prostitution busts ( low threat level) then small weed and rock cases until you get more experience... Specialized schools will come from there but the best training is OJT... A good UC is generally the used car salesman type of guy that can make conversation about the price of eggs in China...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:58:38 AM EDT
I am a detective with the sheriffs dept here. i have worked here for about 14 years. i have been a detective for 10. i have been on the swat team for 11 years and a sniper for the last 4. i have recently become the sniper team commander, which i don't know if i'm happy about or not! i have worked narcotics on and off and am currently assigned to narcotics. i have worked uc but mostly i am on the paperwork end of things as of late. Glad to see leo's on this site.
Top Top