Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:32:44 PM EDT
I dunno if any of you guys remember me posting that I got my EMT cert last fall. Today I got hired. It looks like I found a great ambulance company with a real nice staff, and they take pride in doing a good job. They're not all this way in Los Angeles, so it's nice that I found one that lines up with how I like to operate.

I had a nice little laugh with myself, too. I haven't had a haircut since about December of 05, so it's down to my shoulders now. Going back to school is great. Anyway, the crew chief or whatever you call him... I'm not too sure about his title, was all high and tight. Great. Turns out he didn't have a problem with me at all and we got along just fine. He loaned me his coffee cup and jacket for the day. Real nice guy.

Today was supposed to be a shakedown, they see if I'm ready to roll. After a quick 12-hour shift, they wanted me to stay for a 24, take two hours for a shower at home and the usual bacon and eggs and be back at 8AM the next day for a 24 followed by a 72 hour shift over the weekend. How bout them apples? I guess they liked the cut of my jib.

I have this girl waiting for me at home tonight though, and some things to take care of tomorrow, so Friday morning through Monday morning is going to be my 2nd day on the job. I liked it. Haul Mrs. Greenberg to the dialysis center, then take Maggy Jane back home from the dialysis center, etc. No fire calls on the day shift, but I guess I'll learn patient assessment and how to handle a gurney. I'm sure that in a couple of months I'll be doing this in my sleep, but that's OK. Supposedly, the late nights on the weekends are a little more interesting. We don't get fire calls, but we'll get broken legs or whatever Friday and Saturday night, so I'll learn something then.

And they showed me how to do a Code 2 1/2.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:34:45 PM EDT

Now you have all those victims you can explain peak oil to..........

As you cruise around geting 5 MPG......

Congrats on getting a job, now get a haircut!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:39:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CavVet:

Now you have all those victims you can explain peak oil to..........

As you cruise around geting 5 MPG......

Congrats on getting a job, now get a haircut!

Nah, I don't bother people with that shit IRL all that much. If I opened my mouth and said what was on my mind for real... I would be a total pariah. I'm kind of quiet. We mostly talked about how to pick up chicks. I did give them a good one to chew on. This is LA so it wouldn't work everywhere... but it does the job here.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:39:35 PM EDT

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:30:21 AM EDT
congrats and good luck with the new job
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:31:04 AM EDT
congrats, good luck
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:33:29 AM EDT
Congrats, good luck, and read this thread
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:54:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Congrats, good luck, and read this thread

I read it, thanks. There is a seatbelt available to me on my rig, I will use it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
Grats. Don't get old, disgruntled medic syndrome

Those guys give all of us a bad name.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:12:35 AM EDT
Like the one interviewed EMT says, I've never unbuckled a corpse. I got my B cert in 02 of 00.
Top Top