Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 10:01:09 AM EDT
    I'm looking for a vest/carrier with pockets/pouches that I can put my existing second chance panels in. I work plainclothes now, so i'm looking for something that I can keep ready with radio, mags, gloves etc. when a grab and go backup situation arises. I have found plenty of vests around, but none that double as carriers for panels. Any ideas?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he's looking for something like this:

External Assault Shell

Try looking in Galls.

They used to carry the second chance version and I think you can still find it if you use the search function, but it's no longer on their main carrier page.  They also carry different maker's versions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I know exactly what you're looking for..I'm browsing for the same thing.  In the mean time, I took my second carrier, had a badge patch and "police" patch sewn on the front, then picked up nylon magazine and cuff pouches and ran the straps from the off side through the loops on the pouches.  My handheld radio has a belt clip on it, so it's already always with me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the same issue.  I've looked into a lot of things but have settled on getting a HSGI Woosatch, adding plates, and then wearing it over a regular vest.  It won't exactly be extremely quick to put on but shouldn't be too bad.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think he's looking for something like this:

External Assault Shell

Try looking in Galls.

They used to carry the second chance version and I think you can still find it if you use the search function, but it's no longer on their main carrier page.  They also carry different maker's versions.

I used one like this for a short time and had some trouble.  The sides were kinda bulky and at times my gun would get tucked under the vest.  I changed to a drop leg real fast.  I then changed to a Blackhawk load bearing vest , but this did not carry my vest.  I would put my vest on and then my load bearing vest.  This set up was not bulking and did not cover my gun.  

I would suggest looking at those companies that make vest carriers that look like a uniform shirt.  They can make you one in all black without the buttons and add custom pockets for all your stuff and place them were you want them.  I think the company we use is JD or JG uniforms in Chicago.  I can check my vest on 02-13-2006 for the exact name of the company.  I felt these were the best because they fit tight, carrier you vest, looked tactical , and were easy on/off.  They put nice police logo on it too.        

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The EAS is something like what im looking for, and it looks like there are limited options out there. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try this SECOND CHANCE DEEP COVER VEST

Support Law Enforcement and don't buy from these crooks........

Second Chance is a disgrace to the industry.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Curious as to why you think so.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Go towww.tacticalforums.com/  and then go to the MD Labs section. There are tacked threads that explain the zylon crime.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

When their vests were failing, they denied it. Cops were being killed and seriously injured believing their vest worked and Second Chance offered no help in determining the failure problems.

When the owners of Second Chance got together because the vests we owned were prone to failing, the president of the company told us they would offer a reduced replacement cost and that was it....if we tried to sue, they would declare bankruptcy and we would be completely stuck.

In other words, I paid $1000 for a vest that would probably fail......then had to pay $500 for a replacement vest from them. It took me 6 mos. for a kevlar pack that was supposed to put the vest back up to a IIIA...then another 6 mos. for the replacement vest.

Yep, a great company.......
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When their vests were failing, they denied it. Cops were being killed and seriously injured believing their vest worked and Second Chance offered no help in determining the failure problems.

When the owners of Second Chance got together because the vests we owned were prone to failing, the president of the company told us they would offer a reduced replacement cost and that was it....if we tried to sue, they would declare bankruptcy and we would be completely stuck.

In other words, I paid $1000 for a vest that would probably fail......then had to pay $500 for a replacement vest from them. It took me 6 mos. for a kevlar pack that was supposed to put the vest back up to a IIIA...then another 6 mos. for the replacement vest.

Yep, a great company.......

Way off topic but try a search about Zylon.  Second Chance pulled their zylon vest way before other companies did.  If you do more research you may find that the Zylon company is to blame for overstating the life of their product.  Most evry vest company used Zylon and pulled it after they started to fail.  I believe Second Chance was the first company to pull it and the only company to offer a fix or a break on a new vest.  If you paid $1,000 you paid way to much, unless it was a tac vest.

LHA-2  I forgot to get that info for you when I was at work.  I'l get it ASAP.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Considering most other companies that used Zylon experienced NO failures.

Why would they pull products that aren't failing?

Second Chance had the problem. Zylon admitted the fibers were failing early, but Second Chance was the only company trying to make them so thin that they put officers at risk.

How many cops were killed or seriously injured before Second Chance stepped in? It was only after a federal investigation was started.....

A good friend is still screwed up from this.......he lost his police job and had to find a different career. Limping around with some of your intestines missing isn't as bad as those officers that were killed wearing the failing vests.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Considering most other companies that used Zylon experienced NO failures.

Why would they pull products that aren't failing?

Second Chance had the problem. Zylon admitted the fibers were failing early, but Second Chance was the only company trying to make them so thin that they put officers at risk.

How many cops were killed or seriously injured before Second Chance stepped in? It was only after a federal investigation was started.....

A good friend is still screwed up from this.......he lost his police job and had to find a different career. Limping around with some of your intestines missing isn't as bad as those officers that were killed wearing the failing vests.

.  Then you are emotionally attached to this issue. No insult there intended.  I will not try to change your mind or take this thread off topic any further.  I believe LHA-2 is just looking for a carrier and not ballistic protection.  I for one will agree with you on one detail in that I believe the Second Chance carrier is not the best to be had for what LHA-2 is looking for.  If you would like to start a new thread to trash Second Chance feel free to do so.  However it's been done several times over the past few years.                
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]
    Thanks Bucky I appreciate any info you have.

On the other issue, I am VERY familiar with the Zylon issue. My last vest was a Second Chance with Zylon. Mine was about 5 years old when the stories started breaking. I have very mixed feelings about all of it. Second Chance was wrong. All of the agencies that tried to get free replacements for outdated vests through threat of lawsuit were wrong and I don't think that any of us, or the industry, would benefit from one less manufacturer and less R & D. Nobody wins this one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]
LHA-2

Here is that info on who makes a shirt style carriers and tac style carriers.  I did not see a web site for them but I did not look too hard.  They do real good work and can make anything you want in almost any color with or without police markings.  I use a shirt style from them.  They even leave room to attach the front panel and back panel shoulder strap together to avoid the vest riding too low and causing excess wear on the bottom edge or the panel curling.  

JG Uniforms
5949 West Irving Park Rd.
Chicago IL 60634
773-545-4644

I contact Arlene. (if this is not current let me know and I'l ask the quartermaster)

Hope this helps.  If you get one.  DRY CLEAN ONLY or they will fade.  My shirt style lasts over a year with every day use.  You may have to trace you panel on some kind of paper and send it to them so they can get you a custom fit.  This will carry your panel in it's regular carrier.  you put your whole vest and factory carrier into this shirt/tac carrier to allow for proper fit and to carry your trauma plate.  Ask them lots of questions about all the pockets they can put on and where you want them placed.    

Bucky  

edit.  damm spelling    
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a black OTV interceptor without the plates I would be willing to part with.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I just bought one of these for my old Point Blank panels. $59 bucks from CTD

HERE

I love it and can hang all kinds of gear on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
We got federal grant $ to replace our vest that had zylon.
I like that CTD carrier, I might try one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top