Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 7:32:17 PM EDT
I like the idea of  Hi cap 45, I'm thinking of getting one.(Para) If anyone has one, please give me your opinions on it, reliability,accuracy, cost etc.. Thanks in advance......Treeman
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two P14 Single Action Hi-caps.  They are both great guns, each has over 2000 rounds through it, probably a lot more, I don't really keep track.  They are not cheap.  Very reliable as long as they are clean.  They don't need to be spotless, but they do need to be clean.  I really like the wide grip, I have big hands, if you have small hands try one on first.  Both of mine are very damn accurate from the factory, I would say the most accurate of any 1911 box stock .45 I have shot (not custom or cup models).  With all that ammo they are heavy.  Especially if you shoulder rig it, FYI best shoulder holster I've found is Galco SS2 (the wide one).

The LDA's are nice too, I don't own one, and only know one guy who does, and he's happy with it.  I  personally do not like the radius trigger pull on the LDA's, 1911 triggers should go straight back, not pivot, however the LDA trigger does break really nice..I am sure I could get used to it.

If you are LEO, call Para (416) 297-7855, they will send you their individual officer purchase kit, it is VERY helpful ;)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a P-10 Warthog a couple of years ago when they first came out. I was going to get an officer's model colt, but the little P10 caught my attention. It's a sweet little piece. 10 in the mag, 1 up the pipe. They are a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I've never owned a full grown model, but if they are of the same quality as the P-10, then they are solid.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input, I'm headed for the courthouse, there is a good gun shop close by, so I'm going to check them out when I get out of the CH. I've done some more research, and don't see any negs about the Para, so, local  price will be the kicker, Thanks again....Treeman
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a P14-45 Limited I liked quite a bit.  I got a trigger job on it and a few new parts.  Ended up selling it to a friend who still has it.  The frame finish on mine was poor, so I returned it for refinishing and that one sucked too.  I ended up giving up on the finish.  Adjustable sight is not holding zero any more, so that needs to be fixed (probably replaced).  It is not light when fully loaded.  I can't remember the exact difference, but I seem to remember it was about 33% heavier than my HK USP 45 Tactical.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
First neg on a para I've read, what kind of warranty do they have? Thanks, I want the good, bad and the ugly on them. ........Treeman
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an older P-12 .45 which I have had for years. Great gun. It had feed problems at first, but replacing the magazine spring fixed everything. I'd love to put a P-13 slide on the P-12 frame, that'd be just about perfect.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Warranty was great, they have a place in the US (NY, I think) that does repairs so that you don't have to send it to Canada.  They were quick to repair and get it back to me, but I think I just had a bum frame.  I never saw another one with the finish issue that mine had, and I always checked them out at stores and shows.  

The sight might have been my fault, closing it in a pretty tight case with foam.  Mine fed GREAT until I sent it to the dude for the trigger job, then it wouldn't feed at all.  I called him and asked if he screwed with the extractor and he said he had.  I bought a Wilson Combat bulletproof one and put it in and back to 100% reliability.

You should check out: Link as they might have some good advice too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top