Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 7:23:48 AM EDT
I am currently an EMT-B and about to attend an EMT-I 85 class. I am unable to attend an EMT-I 99 class and would like to later upgrade to the EMT-I 99. I was wondering if any one as done this?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup. Did it in '99. The only reason was to get the only differences (for our state): IV Epi, IV Atropine and ET intubation for cardiac arrest. They made those of us who wanted those upgrades to sit through the whole, stupid, boring thing.

Out of the game now, but us original 85'ers always felt proud of the old style NREMT-I patch.

Weird that anyone is still offering I-85.

aa
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Our last I-85 class here was around three years ago (and I went throught it).

IMHO the I-99 was one of the dumbest things that the registry has done.  The I-85 was a nice stepping stone between B and P.  And while it didn't offer that many more field interventions (in NE it allows us IVs and intubations), the class in general gave a bunch more on the why of field medicine, rather than just the how.

In their desire to make clinical paramedics, they did is disservice to the field side of EMS.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Texas does not recognize I-99, nor do many states, so its pretty much worthless.
I also agree with smilingbandit about its usefulness
I-85 is a good middle of the road between Basic and Paramedic.  It allows IVs and Intubation, and in most places limited drugs you can push.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I was talking to the company that is giving the class and he said I need to go through the EMT-I in order to get the Paramedic. I was looking at the I-99 and the course is very similiar to the medic. The company is also getting approved so I can use my GI Bill to pay for it!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
EMT-I85? EMT-I99? What are these. when I went through it was EMT -Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic. Is that something to do with the NR. I'm state cert (didnt have to go through NR). Just wondering
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
EMT-I85? EMT-I99? What are these. when I went through it was EMT -Basic, Intermediate, Paramedic. Is that something to do with the NR. I'm state cert (didnt have to go through NR). Just wondering

Nope, it's got to be some kind of state or regional thing as the NREMT only recognizes EMT-B, I and P.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I-99 is a proposed upgrade to I-85 at the NR level.  Originally they were going to implement it throughout all NR by some year ('04 I think?) and drop everyone that didn't upgrade from 85 to 99 back down to EMT-B, but they backed off because a lot of states could not or would not implement the 99 upgrade.  There are a lot of pros and cons on both sides of it, so set up a chair on your side of the line and fire away.  In Georgia we still do 85.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:02:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Michigan doesn't even recognize EMT-I. You are either an EMT-B or a Paramedic.

I'm going through the B classes now. If I keep my nose to the grindstone, I'll be Paramedic by June 07.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Right now PA doesn't recognize the EMT-I but they are currently trying to change the EMS act 45 to include the EMT-I in the future.  There are some places that I feel would benifit form this but there are places in this state where you dont need that at all. Oh well we'll see what happenes in the next year.
Cheers
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was talking to the company that is giving the class and he said I need to go through the EMT-I in order to get the Paramedic.

In IL the Intermediate class is offered independently, or is (essentially) the first 1/2 of a Medic class. You come in as a B.

Most programs DO NOT require you to be an I before you proceed to P.... at least around here (IL & WI). It's done that way because of the number of I's that eventually make the change, or because their service is I and won;t pay for the extra class time to get the P.

IMHO they are pulling your leg to get your money.

The company is also getting approved so I can use my GI Bill to pay for it!!!

Make sure that you aren't precluding your later use of the Bill to get your P.

I'd shop around and see if there's a P class you could get into.

Just my $0.02.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top