Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 4:15:01 PM EDT by easy610]
My Chief is interested in going to nylon duty gear and asked me to look into it. I've checked the local cop supply stores and checked out what a couple other local PDs are using. It seems all the gear I've checked out or seen in use wears poorly. The corners get frayed and the body of the individual piece gets crushed down (like your cuff case at the small of your back...).

Anyone have any other input or experience with manufacture I should look into?

I thought the Safari-Land laminate like used in the 6004 leg holster would be ideal...like a hard kydex-like material, but they don't make the entire line of needed items in that material...

Cheers and thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:46:03 PM EDT
Believe it or not, I have been using the Galls brand nylon gear for a few years now and beside the belt keepers, it has held up nicely. For a holster I use a Safariland Raptor with the 1'' drop. Its not the cheap cheap galls stuff but their stuff that is a little more expensive. Keep in mind I am actually on patrol every day not working inside, and it still looks nice.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:17:11 PM EDT
Safariland does make a line in that material. Contact Safariland, I think they call it 'Fine tac.'
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:04:08 PM EDT
Safariland is the only way to go in Nylon Duty gear. The Fine-tac finish is the super tight weave stuff,. that looks similar to Kydex. I think they might call it the STX finish now, IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:05:07 PM EDT
I hate nylon, but if you have to go, I would say Galls
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:54:14 AM EDT
Thanks for the input. Contacting SafariLand now.

I wasn't a big fan of the nylon look either, but we went to the Elbeco/Blauer Steetgear uniform (class B) fatigue uniform as an option for patrol. Also got them to agree to bloused pant legs (I know! I can't believe they went for it! Looks very tough...guys love it) and all embroidered shirt....so name, rank and badge all either a dark silver patch or embroidered on in matching color...no more fumbling with your badge, name plate, whistle, etc. when changing uniform shirts. Anyway, the basketweave looks wrong with the tactical/military look of our current class B patrol uniform.

We still have to keep a set of class As for court and parade details and such.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:45:47 AM EDT
I use Bianchi Accumold and it holds up well.

I know I'm preaching to the quoir here, but make sure the goobers in your department know how to properly blouse the leg, please? They are the first ones to do it and often make it look bad. I guess the multitask of breathing and blousing brings out the worst in these particular individuals.

It's a peeve of mine.

Congrats on getting them to approve it though, very effective gear for the street.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:42:37 AM EDT
I with you on the blousing issue. There were some teething pains getting everyone to look proper. Also some of the guys wanted to wear 6" boots that were fine for the straight leg class A, but look like warmed over crap when you blouse down to them!

Fortunately, everyone is on-board now and looking good.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:01:28 PM EDT
I've been wearing Uncle Mike's Nylon Duty Gear for over 9 years, have not had to replace anything. The only non-UM stuff I wear is my Safariland Raptor holster and a Bianchi single mag case.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:11:29 PM EDT
I'm a Safariland guy. That being said my current rig looks like this.

Safariland holster - Fine Tac Finish.

Bianchi Accumold pouches - cause I can get an open top magazine pouch. I only run the pouches they make with snaps. No velcro.

And my current belt is from................. Galls. A great belt at half the cost of the Bianchi or Safariland. I can't find any reason to think its less quality then the other two.

My pretty leather on the other hand, is all Safariland. And my leather and Fine-Tac holsters are identical.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:27:59 PM EDT
Bianchi Accumold for gear (the rigid, form-fit of it is great)
Safariland 6280 and/or Raptor holsters.

Yes, nylon wears, but it's light and more comfortable than leather. Plus, you can de-con it, whereas you can't decon leather if you get blood on it.

Replace the nylon gear every few yrs, it'll be fine.

You can't get a conventional buckle in leather, although you can in pleather. You can get them in nylon. I'm referring to the 2 piece snap-together buckle. The new Safariland buckle is very good. The old Safariland and current Bianchi plastic buckle are not good (break and come undone easily).

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:32:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 10:33:58 PM EDT by RangemasterP226]

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:
I use Bianchi Accumold and it holds up well.

Actually I use the Accumold Elite, its looks like basketweave leather but has the good qualities of nylon. I used to have regular Accumold and it did tend to wear out and look crappy soon. Go with the Accumold Elite.

+1 I wear this everyday, looks good, is lighter than leather, and wears well. The only exception is that we kept our Safariland 070 triple threat holsters. (They are hard to beat)
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:19:51 PM EDT
Problem that keeps coming up is the replacement of worn items. We have, perhaps the most lazy crew of POs who could not give two rats asses about their appearance. Even if you ride them (gee...wonder if it is the new Chief).

I'm sure the nylon will wear, but even getting $1k+ a year for duty gear there are some that REFUSE to purchase needed gear until threatened with a write-up! Frustrating.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:48:02 PM EDT
I know that some dislike Blackhawk gear but they have just released a new line of duty gear. It looks similar to the Bianchi Accumold but they say it is made with more abrasion resistant materials
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:12:21 PM EDT
My unit uses Safariland and Bianchi when we work the road. (Nylon tends to go better with BDU/ACUs than leather does.....but I gotta say, the MPs wearing class Bs and leather look slick...but too much metal waiting to get jabbed into my chest.)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:33:35 AM EDT
For balistic nylon gear I'm using Bianchi Accumold, it seems to be a darker Black and doesn't fade out with constant UV exposure. Helps keep that put together look(officer presence). I use a Safariland SSIII 070 holster along with it. This is all for soft uniform/ 5.11 and bike patrol use.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:09:52 PM EDT
Honestly, I don't know why more departments aren't going to BDU pants, polo shirt embroidered with name and such, and nylon duty gear. The officer is more comfortable (I CAN"T STAND polyester). No loosing your badge, no fumbling with all those name plates and such. On blousing pants.......I honestly think it's stupid (it may look cool). You are trapping all the air in the pant legs, so when you sweat, you don't get any air circulation. You also have to re-blouse your pants all the time if you are tall....every time you get out of the car. If you don't blouse, they naturally fall where they should be. When I was in the academy, some stupid gung-ho idiot convinced the class leader to mandate blousing.........and all I could say was....what does it firgging matter, now you have just made yet another step in getting dressed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:39:57 PM EDT
I dont like blousing em, but we tuck em into our boots (obviously).....it just keeps your pants legs from getting wet, and more dirty than they gotta.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:35:35 AM EDT
I think Day and evening shifts should wear normal Class B uniforms, with add on badge, etc. It looks far more professional that a Polo ro T-shirt. I have no problem with the back shift, and pecial details, i.e., K9, etc, wearing BDUs. I do likethe Blauer Street Gear BDU pants. They look 10-8, while being useflu. Unfortunately, my department is now Class A only with poly pants.

I despise Nylon Duty gear for much the same reasons. It looks cheap and unprofessional. I have both, and dont feel the Nylon is any lighter than Leather, and especially synthetic leather. I dont like the Bianchi Accumold Elite or UM Mirage, as it looks like imitation leather, IMO. It is better than Nylon. I have heard the same arguments about the inability to decon leather, but really dont think thats even an issue. I have nylon for training and callouts, everything else gets the leather rig. Looks better, and wears better.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:55:46 AM EDT
Safariland is my nylon duty gear of choice. When I was in SF we used personally purchased safariland belts and thigh rigs and never had any problems with them. High speed end users usually go with safariland, in the Army anyways...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:27:51 PM EDT
Honestly, I don't know why more departments aren't going to BDU pants, polo shirt embroidered with name and such, and nylon duty gear. The officer is more comfortable (I CAN"T STAND polyester). No loosing your badge, no fumbling with all those name plates and such. On blousing pants.......I honestly think it's stupid (it may look cool). You are trapping all the air in the pant legs, so when you sweat, you don't get any air circulation. You also have to re-blouse your pants all the time if you are tall....every time you get out of the car. If you don't blouse, they naturally fall where they should be

One mans opinion. We had the polo shirts and they looked like crap on overweight/chubby officers....and NO there isn't much you can do about a chubby officer. I wish there was, but unions doncha'know.

We've bloused our pants for going on 4 years now and noone has ever complained about being too warm or "re-blousing" during shift....I'm wearing the class "b" now and don't agree with your concerns....my .02$.

Safariland is my nylon duty gear of choice. When I was in SF we used personally purchased safariland belts and thigh rigs and never had any problems with them. High speed end users usually go with safariland, in the Army anyways...

Agreed SafariLand is top notch tac gear, but I'm looking for general patrol gear, not leg holsters and such...besides its a bitch drawing handgun while seated in car. The grip/draw is straight back into the seat cushion requiring you lift your ass out of the seat.....not good tactics if you need to draw/fire while in a vehicle...I'd prefer and train to lay low, not hump my ass/hips up into view...

Thinking the Uncle Mikes synthetic basket weave might be a good thought.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:05:59 PM EDT
I dont like the way the Uncle Mikes and Bianchi synthetic gear looks, or wears. It is noticeably thicker than leather, and wears very poorly.

Safariland's SafariLaminate is synthetic leather, and has none of these bad properties. I wear Gould and Goodrich K-force, which is their synthetic leather line. it wears very well, and it virtually indistinguishable from leather. i couldnt be happier.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By easy610:
Honestly, I don't know why more departments aren't going to BDU pants, polo shirt embroidered with name and such, and nylon duty gear. The officer is more comfortable (I CAN"T STAND polyester). No loosing your badge, no fumbling with all those name plates and such. On blousing pants.......I honestly think it's stupid (it may look cool). You are trapping all the air in the pant legs, so when you sweat, you don't get any air circulation. You also have to re-blouse your pants all the time if you are tall....every time you get out of the car. If you don't blouse, they naturally fall where they should be

One mans opinion. We had the polo shirts and they looked like crap on overweight/chubby officers....and NO there isn't much you can do about a chubby officer. I wish there was, but unions doncha'know.

We've bloused our pants for going on 4 years now and noone has ever complained about being too warm or "re-blousing" during shift....I'm wearing the class "b" now and don't agree with your concerns....my .02$.

Agreed SafariLand is top notch tac gear, but I'm looking for general patrol gear, not leg holsters and such...besides its a bitch drawing handgun while seated in car. The grip/draw is straight back into the seat cushion requiring you lift your ass out of the seat.....not good tactics if you need to draw/fire while in a vehicle...I'd prefer and train to lay low, not hump my ass/hips up into view...

Thinking the Uncle Mikes synthetic basket weave might be a good thought.....

Uncle mikes is low rent.

Only difference between a safariland leg rig and a patrol belt rig is the location of your gun, holster and belt are the same.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:58:21 AM EDT
Ive wornm a lot of different gear in my short carrer. Everything Ive owned from Uncle Mikes is JUNK with a capital J. Bianchi is better, but nowhere near Safariland.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:04:04 AM EDT
bianchi. and basketweave looks like absolute shit BTW. nylon for class b, leather for class a.
Top Top