Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 2:00:03 PM EDT
For those of you who carry an AR in your cruiser and are not part of a SWAT team, under what applications do you pull your AR from its mount/lock.  Perimeter weapon? Entry weapon? How often do you utilize it? Myself, I work on a fugitive unit and typically only use it as a perimeter weapon if it is a high risk entry.  I don't even have any high-tech accessories. Very simple. I prefer my handgun on entries where I may have to reholster quickly and easily.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, a handgun is a weapon that is to be used until a long gun can be obtained to replace it.  When arriving at a situation where there is a possibility that a weapon will be needed, I will take a long gun, either my AR15 or shotgun.  When making entries, unless I am using a ballistic shield, I would always prefer to have a long gun as a primary weapon, using my handgun as a back up.    
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Having just left a Fugitive Task Force position, I used my AR pretty often.  We ALWAYS had one AR deployed on the perimeter but used a second one for entry.  Depending upon the number of TF Officers available (6 min. but usually 8) we would make entry in threes.  The third person through the door had an an AR and generally performed an overwatch assignment.  The other two with handguns would do the cuffing, etc.  For a while we would use the three's but one would carry a pistol, one a Taser and the third the AR but we opted out of that pretty quickly.  AR's are pretty common in our Dept and the Patrol guys use them routinely when clearing houses/buildings in two's or more.  Our policy is pretty lenient when it comes to deployment with rifles and it basically says that if you can justify their use, then use them.  We have approximately (16) designated marksmen in Patrol (not SOU certified, just patrolmen) that are issued M14's.  The only restriction on those rifles is that they can't be used on High Risk Stops.  The Admin's theory on that is that the issued 168 gr. round would/could pass through the vehicle or riccochet too easily and strike a secondary target.  Their rules so 'Okay'.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I prefer my handgun on entries where I may have to reholster quickly and easily.

That's what the sling is for

For patrol I employ my rifle the same way I used to employ the shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer my Kimber TLE/RL and the Mosse 14" 590/A1. I still have alot of faith in the scatter gun. Now I do have some long range hardware at hand, if needed. I have been researching  different types of sling arrangements that would accomodate both long guns. I have decided to use the one point sling that has the quick detach system. The sling loop stays on your body and there are attachments already on the shotgun and the patrol carbine. So you transition to either one with quick detach. Buy as many of the extra web straps as u want and put them on what ever or as many long guns that u want to. One sling fits all. This system would allow u to carry the long gun and transition to the handgun if needed in seconds or just the reverse. The long gun can be dropped and will be hanging in front of u. So thats my answer if u not too sure of the situation ur encountering apon exiting your veh.  Good day gents. Keep kicking ass!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer my handgun on entries where I may have to reholster quickly and easily.

That's what the sling is for he

+ 1, I am the same way
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Not authorized a rifle in the full time agency. Without getting into specifics on a public board, it would be safe to say that the part time agency only authorizes deployment of the rifle in a felony or serious incident involving a significant risk to public safety.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#7]
even transporting prisoners by the busload.....HELL NO you don't need nothin more than your .38!!! I love my job,I get to meet so many nice people.200 deputies can share,if really n
eeded about 5 old evidence Rem 870s.And they won't even train some to use the shotgunsI asked once,they went completely nuts about using an old evidence AR for bussiness.(a circa 1960 ar180 iirc)They burned it along with a bunch of others
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
We have no restrictions on long guns, as long as we can articulate why it is out.  I have never been questioned though as to why I pulled it.  Typically if I want a long gun I pull the AR.  I have used it on high risk stops, warrant service, building searches, in progress burgs, perimeter security...just about anything where there is a risk of SHTF.  

I work at a small department and like the freedom of making my own decisions about what I arm myself with.have
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
On EVERY call where I know I have to pull my gun I break out the AR or one of the boys will.  Why limit yourself with only one gun?  As for using it as a shotty, dunno, ours are only for less lethal, no 00 buck or slugs AT ALL.  Fine by me, me love the AR big time.  

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top