Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 9:55:01 AM EDT
Are there any Border Patrol, ICE, or other Customs agents on the board?
I am a junior in college, and I am planning on applying for a position within the Border Patrol when I graduate.
I have been to their website, and I have downloaded a few FAQs and other information, but it is always good to talk to someone who actually is in the agency.

Looking forward to any responses.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried and don't have the eyes for it
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
My uncle retired from the Border Patrol a couple of years ago.  If I was going into federal LE, The BP would be my first and only choice.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are there any Border Patrol, ICE, or other Customs agents on the board?
I am a junior in college, and I am planning on applying for a position within the Border Patrol when I graduate.
I have been to their website, and I have downloaded a few FAQs and other information, but it is always good to talk to someone who actually is in the agency.

Looking forward to any responses.
Thanks in advance.

I know that there are some here from both ICE and the US Border Patrol.  Why don't you post your questions here?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I might be able to help with some of your questions.  I went through the BP process a little while back.  

This is also a great sight for info on the process and BP questions in general - link  

When you get to the site, go to the message board.  There are lot of people that participate from new applicants to DC BP brass.  By all means though, post here as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link.

My questions are pretty much this

What is the job like?
What can I do to make sure I end up in a patrol function on the Mexican Border?
How best to train?
How is the pay?
And since this is ARFcom, what is the sidearm and what is the policy on patrol carbines?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

What is the job like?
How best to train?
How is the pay?
And since this is ARFcom, what is the sidearm and what is the policy on patrol carbines?

You will be given X, no patroling...They carry 40 cal Berettas
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

What is the job like?

Check out the HonorFirst site that was linked up a few posts, it's got links to a great Border Patrol Discussion Board.  Patrolling the border isn't easy.  There are Patrol Agents on horseback, on ATVs, in all kinds of different cars and trucks and, yes, there are some on foot often.  As mentioned above, some places the Agents are stuck on an "X" to present a visible "deterrent".

Don't worry, that's where they need new Patrol Agents!  It's the oldtimers that are finally getting to move up to the Canadian border and Florida, so you shouldn't have any problem getting the Mexican border!

How best to train?
Be in good physical shape.  I think you have to run a mile and a half in 13 minutes to become a Border Patrol Agent.  If you don't think that running that far that fast sounds like a piece of cake, then you definitely need to work on that.  Don't worry about shooting, they'll teach you the way they want you to shoot and you will improve because of it (regardless of whether or not you stick with their method...).

How is the pay?
www.opm.gov/oca/06tables/html/491.asp  You'll start out as a GS-5 and in less than 4 years you'll be a GS-11.  In addition to this base LEO pay, you'll also probably get 25% more in the form of Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime (AUO) for working an average of 2 hours a day extra.

You'd get an HK P2000 in .40S&W and I think M4s are fairly available to check out at the beginning of your shift in most places.  You'll not be allowed to use your own rifle, nor would you want to.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, you could have just said, “Tell me everything.” J/K

The job is a lot of fun for me.  There are others who got in and hated it, so it’s pretty relative.  My station is a line-station, most are, and our bread and butter is sign cutting (tracking).  Taken from an email I sent to some buddies recently:

“The work is mostly sign cutting, tracking prints until we get the bodies.  Sometimes we get them, sometimes we don’t.  One night we tracked a group for about 14 miles over a 9 hour period and just before we got to them, they reached the road and were picked by a load vehicle.  Some nights you are trecking through the desert, others, you might find yourself on a flimsy canyon wall trail, those can be a little tense at times.  Some nights you are patrolling the high fence, the river, Rail Yards, in the mountains, the local towns, etc.

At XXXXXXX, aside from regular Patrol stuff, we also process, work checkpoint, there is a ATV Patrol, Bike Patrol, Air Ops, Intel, SRT (SWAT), BORTAK (secret squirrel type stuff in this country and abroad) BORSTAR (search and rescue), DISRUPT (Similar to Intel), BORCAP (Prosecutions), K-9, Field Scope Operators, and soon they are going to start up the bike, horse and boat patrols again here.  We also have some guys here detailed out with the local Sheriffs Office, PD, DEA, FBI and some other alphabet agencies.  Lots of neat things, but I have to be in for a few years before I can get to do any of the neat details or join one of the teams.”  

Stories (same email because I’m lazy):

“I’ve got some good stories.  One night I was rocked, but they missed me every time.  Another trainee at my station took a rock to the head about a week and a half ago.  Luckily, it JUST grazed him and he only got a gash behind his ear.  Another night we tracked a group to a local high security prison and it appeared they had actually burrowed under the 12 feet razor wire fence.  So we contacted the prison officials and they let us on the grounds.  Once inside, it only took us about 10 minutes to locate them.  They had no idea where they were.  When I told them, you should have seen the looks on their faces.  I told them this was the only time I’ve heard of people breaking into prison.  We all had a good laugh, then I took them to jail.  Silly aliens.  Course, they weren’t there very long.  Another night, I got about a group of 6, the next night, I got the same group of six.”

Those are the upsides to the job.  The downsides are processing, air-port duty, California is lot of X’s, a lot of CYA these days in the Patrol, seclusion and culture of border towns although I lucked out with my station, etc.  

Patrolling?  Well, that is what you will be doing, either on dirt or paved roads.  Again, if you go with a CA station, you could be riding an X.  If it were me, I would detail out to other areas when I could rather than sitting on an X.

As far as training, run, run and run.  PT at the academy consists of a ton of running and mat room smoke sessions.  Push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, flutter kicks, mountain climbers and body builders should prepare you for that.  However, it will be pretty hard to actually be “prepared”.  The PT guys are machines.  Also, if you don’t know how to swim, learn.  A week or two of PT will be spent in the pool.  A Spanish program like Rosetta Stone will also be helpful to help you prepare for the Spanish program.  

Pay is decent.  You will either start at a GS-5 or 7 depending on your education and work experience.  5’s base is about 35/K, 7’s are around 39/K, which is what you will get at the Academy.  Shitty? Yes.  However when you get out you will get an automatic extra 25% tacked on for AUO (overtime pay) and more for Holiday, Night Diff, Sunday Pay, FLSA and such.  Realistically, 5’s will hit 50/K+ their first year out of the Academy.  Around year 3, you will hit the 70-75/K mark.  Obviously, if you start out at a 7, your pay will be higher than this.  Journeyman level is GS-11.  After this, your pay goes up to levels until you hit GS-11, level 10.  After that, you can go up to a GS-12 or 13 for Supervisory positions, equivalent to a Sergeant in a local LEO outfit.

Firearms.  Everyone coming in after September has gotten the HK P2000.  The rest of us are stuck with the Beretta until the switch-out reaches our level.  You can either sign out an M4 with rock and roll switch or an 870 police model at the beginning of shift.  These are standard fare, though I have heard of some stations only having access to semi auto M4’s.  Some stations allow their agents to sign out MP5’s and UMP-40’s also.  At my station, only pilots and the teams can get the SMG’s.  Firearms training at the Academy is top notch and any Arfcom’er should find it quite satisfying.  

Anyway, that’s the long and skinny.  Anything else?

BTW – I am in AZ.  Your first assignment will be in AZ, TX, NM, or CA.  You will be at your first station for a while, maybe your whole career, so do your research on different Sectors.  They will offer anywhere between one and 3 different stations/sectors.  If they offer only one and it’s not a place you would like to go to, it won’t hurt to ask if there are any other slots available.  I was only offered one station, but I asked and actually was offered the station I wanted….

Also, the other poster's remark about X's is not accurate.  CA has the majority of X stations, my station only has a handfull of X's and our TX detailers are amazed we have X's at all, no one I have talked to from there has X's.  Not to say there aren't any in TX, but unless you get CA, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for the link.

What is the job like?

Check out the HonorFirst site that was linked up a few posts, it's got links to a great Border Patrol Discussion Board.  Patrolling the border isn't easy.  There are Patrol Agents on horseback, on ATVs, in all kinds of different cars and trucks and, yes, there are some on foot often.  As mentioned above, some places the Agents are stuck on an "X" to present a visible "deterrent".

Don't worry, that's where they need new Patrol Agents!  It's the oldtimers that are finally getting to move up to the Canadian border and Florida, so you shouldn't have any problem getting the Mexican border!

How best to train?
Be in good physical shape.  I think you have to run a mile and a half in 13 minutes to become a Border Patrol Agent.  If you don't think that running that far that fast sounds like a piece of cake, then you definitely need to work on that.  Don't worry about shooting, they'll teach you the way they want you to shoot and you will improve because of it (regardless of whether or not you stick with their method...).

How is the pay?
www.opm.gov/oca/06tables/html/491.asp  You'll start out as a GS-5 and in less than 4 years you'll be a GS-11.  In addition to this base LEO pay, you'll also probably get 25% more in the form of Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime (AUO) for working an average of 2 hours a day extra.

You'd get an HK P2000 in .40S&W and I think M4s are fairly available to check out at the beginning of your shift in most places.  You'll not be allowed to use your own rifle, nor would you want to.

Dave, you weren't at the Academy and re-activited were you?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn man, you pretty much covered everything I ever wanted to know.
Job sounds like it is a lot of fun, and fulfilling.
I always wanted to be a cop, but not in the city.
Border Patrol basically seems like there is a lot of action, but in an outdoors environment.
Thanks so very much for all the info.
Glad to see BP are going towards the P2000, I have fired the Berreta's and I was never too impressed.

What are the chances of me being not being stationed in Cali?
That is the one place I really don't want to be.
How hard would it be to get a transfer to ICE after spending some time in Border Patrol?
Let's just say I got bored after 10 years or so.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dave, you weren't at the Academy and re-activited were you?

Nope, I've never even been in the Patrol...

Quoted:
How hard would it be to get a transfer to ICE after spending some time in Border Patrol?
Let's just say I got bored after 10 years or so.

Well, they're now two different agencies, but some of the hiring announcements for ICE have had "immigration officer academy graduation" as one of the requirements.  I don't know if this will continue to be a trend, but if it's not, there's not really any other way to "transfer" to a completely different agency.  It's just a matter of getting hired by that other agency.  Time in the Border Patrol looks good on just about any resume, though.

Oh, and there's still discussion in Washington DC about merging ICE and CBP.  I don't know if anything will ever happen, but the idea is still being kicked around, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SNIP

Awesome post
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:38:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Well, they're now two different agencies, but some of the hiring announcements for ICE have had "immigration officer academy graduation" as one of the requirements.

It's easier to get into ICE if you have attended IBOTC because then we can put you straight to work and not have to send you to the academy.

It's the oldtimers that are finally getting to move up to the Canadian border and Florida

Not all of us, I hate the cold and hurricanes, 2 more years and I retire.
I'm staying right here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well, they're now two different agencies, but some of the hiring announcements for ICE have had "immigration officer academy graduation" as one of the requirements.

It's easier to get into ICE if you have attended IBOTC because then we can put you straight to work and not have to send you to the academy.

It's the oldtimers that are finally getting to move up to the Canadian border and Florida

Not all of us, I hate the cold and hurricanes, 2 more years and I retire.
I'm staying right here.

Thank you for your service, but are you sure you don't want to finish out in Texas?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the hiring process like? Poly?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SNIP

Awesome post

Thanks.  Are you an Agent?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No, no vodoo box.  The process goes something like this:

Apply online (basic biographical info).
Take test.
If you hit the score cut off, they send your Tentative Offer letter and hiring packet.
Complete packet going back 10 years for residence, acqaintances, employment, etc., and send in.
Meet with BI and Background Investigation begins more or less.
Go to your "Structured Interview", aka, Oral Board.
Medical exam.
Physical evaluation.

When everything is completed, you will receive your 60 Day Letter and wait for the call.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Since I've been kicking this around in the back of my head, I guess now's the best time to ask:

I'm interested, but I absolutely abhor the idea of moving anywhere west of Texas. What kind of possibilities are there to stay in TX?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I thought you were in FL, not TX.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What kind of possibilities are there to stay in TX?

It all depends on where they need Agents.  I would go ahead and apply.  The hiring process takes 6 months to 2 years, so a lot can change in your life.  When they call you with the job offer, they usually give you a choice:  Ajo, AZ or Eagle Pass, TX (for example).  You can take your pick, or decline to take the job.  If you decline an offer, it's not held against you.  You might not be given another offer on that job announcement (although I'm told that it's happened before), but you're free to apply and go through the whole process again.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
My uncle retired from the Border Patrol a couple of years ago.  If I was going into federal LE, The BP would be my first and only choice.

Your uncle is a bad ass.  Some of the stories he told were pretty nuts.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Since I've been kicking this around in the back of my head, I guess now's the best time to ask:

I'm interested, but I absolutely abhor the idea of moving anywhere west of Texas. What kind of possibilities are there to stay in TX?

Like the previous poster said, it's the needs of the service.  Right now and for the past year and a half it has been mostly focused on AZ, but the smuggling patterns will change to TX or CA again.  Then, most of the agents will go to these areas.  It's pretty much a crap shoot.  You used to be able to pick a Geo pref. area but that was stopped because of station shopping.  However, each class usually has a good mix of trainees going to different sectors, with the majority going to the "hot" area.  If you are hell bent on staying TX, you might want to wait a year or two to see where the focus is.  On the other hand, your process could take up to 2 years or more, so getting started now might lead to the offer you want when you clear.,,  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I thought you were in FL, not TX.

I am in FL, but of the states where there is a real border, I would prefer to stay in TX. With my luck, I'd get a job and then be sent to Kalifornia.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I guess here is a good place to bring up this, I'm prior LE in Maine and really need to stay here due to family stuff.  I would love to go Border Patrol, but all the Agents that I have spoken to said that the first posting WILL be on the Southern border.  I really wish they would make exceptions for those, especially with prior LE experience on the Northern Border (Yes in a border town Fort Fairfield, ME), speak passable French, and are familiar with the situations up here.  To me this would make sense...

I would walk to FLETC if they would let me work the northern border.  I just can't move my family to the Southwest.

Other options would be Customs, but I was told by local LE that they are not considered Federal Law Enforcement Officers in the same capacity as Border Patrol Agents.  Is that true?

Don
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Other options would be Customs, but I was told by local LE that they are not considered Federal Law Enforcement Officers in the same capacity as Border Patrol Agents.  Is that true?

Don

Well...  Customs doesn't exist as an agency anymore.  

Their Customs Inspectors are not Federal LE (but they carry a badge and a gun and can make arrests) and merged with Immigration Inspectors to become Customs and Border Protection Officers.

Their Special Agents (Criminal Investigators) merged with INS' Special Agents to become Immigration and Customs Enforcement Special Agents.  Many consider a Special Agent position to be the pinnacle of law enforcement.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don

Well...  Customs doesn't exist as an agency anymore.  

Their Customs Inspectors are not Federal LE (but they carry a badge and a gun and can make arrests) and merged with Immigration Inspectors to become Customs and Border Protection Officers.

Their Special Agents (Criminal Investigators) merged with INS' Special Agents to become Immigration and Customs Enforcement Special Agents.  Many consider a Special Agent position to be the pinnacle of law enforcement.

Customs Inspectors, or now Customs and Border Protection Officers are Fed LE, but their authority is limited to the Port of Entry.  The BP isn't limited to just the border, but it's a narrow scope of authority.  Basically, aliens and anything you find while looking for aliens. There are some exceptions of course.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Are you sure that the Customs Inspectors are Federal LE?  They are not held to the same mandatory retirement age, maximum entry age, physical standards etc...  Therefore were not to the same level of Federal LE as USBP, Air Marshals, FBI etc.  Im not talking about jurisdiction, I'm talking about things such as nationwide concealed carry (HR 218) etc.

maybe my information is completely wrong???  Please correct me if I am.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I guess here is a good place to bring up this, I'm prior LE in Maine and really need to stay here due to family stuff.  I would love to go Border Patrol, but all the Agents that I have spoken to said that the first posting WILL be on the Southern border.  I really wish they would make exceptions for those, especially with prior LE experience on the Northern Border (Yes in a border town Fort Fairfield, ME), speak passable French, and are familiar with the situations up here.  To me this would make sense...

I would walk to FLETC if they would let me work the northern border.  I just can't move my family to the Southwest.

Don

If you applied right now, you're chances of being able to only choose a Southern border station are about 100%.  Knowing a foreign language is a good skill to have, especially French if you would ultimately want to end up on the Northern Border.  However, everyone has to "do their time".  As for being previous LE, well, most of the guys in my class, and I assume the other classes are either prior LEO's of some sort or military.  You will hear that your previous experiences amount to little in the Patrol from your Instructors and Agents in the field.  Of course it helps, but it's 'different'.  Look at the upside though, after your training, you will be trilingual

Now, every so often, the rumor emerges that they will be sending trainees to the Northern border.  Something to do with it being more cost affective than moving Journeyman up there.  Could happen, eventually.

CBP Officers are seen as LEO's, however they don't have true arrest authority whatever that means, and they do not get LE pay.  In other words, if you are a CBP Officer at GS-9, you won't pull in the same as a GS-9 BPA.  CBP Officer has it's upsides though.  You have a MUCH better chance of being stationed where you would like, you will be able to access your annual uniform alliance long before PA's can and they get to wear those cool BDU's  I would stick with CBP Officer if you want the North.  Good luck either way.

Lastly, you mentioned that "it would make more sense" if they put you on the Northern border.  The first thing that you have to realize when dealing with the Fed is that if it makes sense, it is a no go.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the reply, you answered much of my question on the station issue!  Big help.  Would still rather go USBP though.  I like the mission better.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Customs Inspectors, or now Customs and Border Protection Officers are Fed LE, but their authority is limited to the Port of Entry.  

Nope.  They do not receive 6c retirement pay, which is given to Federal Law Enforcement, by definition.

That's not to say that they're not law enforcement.  They certainly have a lot of authority at the POEs, they wear badges, carry guns (and are covered by HR218), make arrests and even have limited authority away from the POE (basic Title 8 stuff, maybe customs stuff, too?), although I doubt management would let them use it.

Keep in mind that many other federal "cops" are not 6c covered, even some of the guys that wear uniforms that say "Police" on it (like the Federal Protective Service police).
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:50:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Customs Inspectors, or now Customs and Border Protection Officers are Fed LE, but their authority is limited to the Port of Entry.  

Nope.  They do not receive 6c retirement pay, which is given to Federal Law Enforcement, by definition.

That's not to say that they're not law enforcement.  They certainly have a lot of authority at the POEs, they wear badges, carry guns (and are covered by HR218), make arrests and even have limited authority away from the POE (basic Title 8 stuff, maybe customs stuff, too?), although I doubt management would let them use it.

Keep in mind that many other federal "cops" are not 6c covered, even some of the guys that wear uniforms that say "Police" on it (like the Federal Protective Service police).

Your right, they are not covered positions.  So if you don't qualify for the better LE retirement benifets, does that automatically make you a government clerk?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:02:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Are you sure that the Customs Inspectors are Federal LE?  They are not held to the same mandatory retirement age, maximum entry age, physical standards etc...  Therefore were not to the same level of Federal LE as USBP, Air Marshals, FBI etc.  Im not talking about jurisdiction, I'm talking about things such as nationwide concealed carry (HR 218) etc.

maybe my information is completely wrong???  Please correct me if I am.

You are correct.  they are not held to the same recruiting standards and retirement age.  As sworn officers who carry a weapon and enforce laws and make arrests, wouldn't that qualify to carry under HR218.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's my favorite ICEman:

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right, they are not covered positions.  So if you don't qualify for the better LE retirement benifets, does that automatically make you a government clerk?

Nope, that's why I was clear to describe them as officers that carry a badge and a gun and that make arrests...  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
just curious as to how long your academy is.  Our academy (metro PD) is 22weeks long.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
just curious as to how long your academy is.  Our academy (metro PD) is 22weeks long.

20 weeks.  How many hours of firearms do you all have?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Are there any exceptions to the vision requirement? Mine is worse than 20/100 uncorrected,but can be corrected to 20/15. I am interested in the BP but that is an automatic disqualifier if there is no exception.

Thanks,

96Ag

p.s. Is that standard for federal service?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Call me a "CLERK" and I will tell you otherwise
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Are there any exceptions to the vision requirement? Mine is worse than 20/100 uncorrected,but can be corrected to 20/15. I am interested in the BP but that is an automatic disqualifier if there is no exception.

Thanks,

96Ag

p.s. Is that standard for federal service?

Can't get a waiver on vision.  The only option would be lasic surgery.  In my opinion it's worth it regardless of whether you are trying to get into the Patrol or not, but it's a pretty big personal choice.  Not sure what the standard is, however, my guess would be that each Agency follows different guidelines.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Wow, I love this thread. Border Patrol is one of the things I've been kicking around when I got out. How is hiring for military, will having a current security clearance when I get out help out with the background investigation any? (Military Police currently)

Still a few years off (ETS in JAN2010) but Im already lining up options and starting to work on my degree again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, no vodoo box.  The process goes something like this:

Apply online (basic biographical info).
Take test.
If you hit the score cut off, they send your Tentative Offer letter and hiring packet.
Complete packet going back 10 years for residence, acqaintances, employment, etc., and send in.
Meet with BI and Background Investigation begins more or less.
Go to your "Structured Interview", aka, Oral Board.
Medical exam.
Physical evaluation.

When everything is completed, you will receive your 60 Day Letter and wait for the call.

isn't there an age limit? over 35 forget it ?

ahh, the www site say 37 unless you have LE time served to accomodate the 20 year retiremet at 57.  since I am 52, no BP for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:32:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I am taking the BP written test on March 11th.

wish me luck
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

wish me luck

good luck
make sure to report back and tell us how it was.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Wow, I love this thread. Border Patrol is one of the things I've been kicking around when I got out. How is hiring for military, will having a current security clearance when I get out help out with the background investigation any? (Military Police currently)

Still a few years off (ETS in JAN2010) but Im already lining up options and starting to work on my degree again.

Unfortunately, your current clearance rating will mean nothing.  They will do their own investigation regardless if you have any clearances from the military or any other agency.  There are some benefits from being prior military though, such as 50% more vacation hours accrued per pay period.  

wish me luck

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I've noticed a ton of commercials on TV the last couple days looking for new hires for the Border Patrol.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Yea, there going to try and add 10,000 new Agents within the next five years as well as replace those lost to attrition.  That means 420,000 applicants.  I think they are facing a challenge to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#47]
The hiring process is very, very slow! I tested Dec. 5 for Immigration Enforcement Agent and got my rating letter (said 100 but I think they do it pass/fail) in mid January and haven't heard shit since.

I got my application packet for ICE Special Agent (Office of Investigations) and the assigned test date isn't until mid-May.

Good luck to you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top