Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 8:25:43 PM EDT
Dont worry it wasnt me!  I'm still making ya'll proud!

Anyway, today we're working on defensive tactics.   Today was more of a proficancy test.   One of the guys (ARMY RESERVE) was unable to comprehend how to do the "X-Block," among other things.  During the testing phase he was sent to the hall to practice about 4 seperate times.  I thought our instructor was being very giving under the circumstances.   After about the 4th time practicing in the hall the Cadet decided he would put his fist through the sheetrock.  He was sent home terminated from the Academy.  He can appeal to the Director who I doubt will let him back on.    I'm really glad he is gone, he seemed very dangerous and unstable anyway.  Glad he got weeded out.   If you cant keep your temper in check during training, your a huge lawsuit waiting to happen at a department.  

As for me, I am doing well in my Academy class.  Arms are a bit bruised of from all the defensive moves, and the above cadet trying to lift me to my feet by my wrists while handcuffed.   I graduate in just a couple of months and am excited to be able to use the stuff I am learing on a daily basis.  

Next for me is to start looking at FOP, or somthing similar incase SHTF and the Dept. hangs me out to dry like most do if somthing goes to court.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...........................................Next for me is to start looking at FOP, or somthing similar incase SHTF and the Dept. hangs me out to dry like most do if somthing goes to court.  hr

Good luck with the rest of training.

I thought FOP was pretty much non-existent in Texas. Between CLEAT and TMPA they have about 30,000 members. I think that most officers that belong to associations or who have contracts use one of those two.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I will definatly keep those in mind.  I need to gather a list of them all and read through them to see which is the best for me.

Hope that dude doesnt come to school with a gun today and blow us all alway.

I'm sure he wont.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see you are doing good. I recommend CLEAT as they've done me right while TMPA didn't which is why I switched to CLEAT. I also do PrePaid Legal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Just my two cents but pass TCLEOSE first, then get a job, then right after you get on decide what union you want to join.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#5]
well keep up the good work bub
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to see all is going well... keep it up!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck bro!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats.  It was not even a year ago that I was in your shoes.  Now I'm having a blast, learning things everyday, having fun, helping catch shotgunning killers like last night, having fun, making life a little less comfortable for the street criminals in my sector, locking up wife beaters, having fun, learning the tricks from the vets, making jokes at homicide scenes like last night, and having fun.  

Did I mention it's a lot of fun?  Because it is.  

Keep up the hard work and keep having fun.  Also don't let those around you who are trying to flame out get any of that flammable stuff on you as they ignite.

Help those who need help but those without the right attitude/mindset, let them make their own destiny.  And be prepared for a victim to give you all the info you need to put away the suspect, then give you false name and DOB and sign the statement with that name.  I caught her because i verified some information with her bartender.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Next for me is to start looking at FOP, or somthing similar incase SHTF and the Dept. hangs me out to dry like most do if somthing goes to court.

Don't waste your money on FOP or PBA, thinking they are going to save you. Read the fine print. Unless its' a shooting, they can decide *IF* they are going to take your case.

Prepaid legal - you buy just enough of a pool lawyers' time to say, "uh, we need more time to figure out how to help you."

Here is the best advice - take the money you would piss away on these groups, and get the shadiest, stank-nasty pitbull lawyer in your area, and put him on retainer.

Your department isn't afraid of the FOP/PBA/whoever. They ARE afraid of someone who really doesn't like the Man anyway, and would relish breaking one off in your admins......

Anyway, you don't know me, but hang in there. Graduating is a major event, and something to be proud of!

-Shawn
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:53:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm with CLEAT.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't waste your money on FOP or PBA, thinking they are going to save you. Read the fine print. Unless its' a shooting, they can decide *IF* they are going to take your case.

Prepaid legal - you buy just enough of a pool lawyers' time to say, "uh, we need more time to figure out how to help you."

Here is the best advice - take the money you would piss away on these groups, and get the shadiest, stank-nasty pitbull lawyer in your area, and put him on retainer.

Your department isn't afraid of the FOP/PBA/whoever. They ARE afraid of someone who really doesn't like the Man anyway, and would relish breaking one off in your admins......
-Shawn

Maybe in your state. I think our city is afraid of the union attorneys and there is no fine print. They take the case, period. In most of our shootings, the attorney arrives before the department investigators or district attorney investigators. Our union attorneys fight for every single case that an officer wishes to contest including a simple letter of reprimand in your file. About 98% off all cases that they take for actions brought against our officers have been overturned or reduced in arbitration or court.

I am sure it works much differently in other areas but to make a blanket statement that the unions don't work is wrong. Most officers in Texas that belong to a union or association is affiliated with TMPA or CLEAT. There is almost no FOP or IBPO in the state.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Our association and CLEAT helped me to not loose my job.  I'm with CLEAT for as long as they will have me, or I pay dues.

Citabria, keep up the good work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top