Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 10:40:51 AM EDT
I just heard that a Texas LEO can get a CHL without the hassles of going thru the course-can anybody fill me in on this?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of that.  
I have not met an officer that wanted to get a CHL.  I have met some officers that have a CHL, simply because they got it before they were hired.  As an officer I can carry just about anywhere except secure areas of the airport, prisons, some mental health facilities.  It seems a  CHL holder is more limited to where he can carry.. 30.06 signs can be put just about anywhere, these signs don't apply to LEO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
My dept's very rigid with what I can carry, and it's a hassle sometimes getting to the dept range on their schedule to qualify with what's acceptable-I was thinking with a CHL they'd have less control on what I could carry as joe schmoe
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, never thought of that.
We are very lucky. Issued Glock 22 or 17, but we can also carry what you can qualify with.  Duty weapon needs to be one weapon of you choosing, most are Glocks, Sigs, Smith.  We have some officers that carry H & K, some 1911s, Beretta.  I have actually qualified with several handguns and have a good selection of what I can carry off-duty.  Anything from 380  to 10 mm for off-duty.    
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My dept's very rigid with what I can carry, and it's a hassle sometimes getting to the dept range on their schedule to qualify with what's acceptable-I was thinking with a CHL they'd have less control on what I could carry as joe schmoe

That may be true, but there are serious liability/legal isuues that you need to look into before carrying an unapproved weapon under your CHL....Most departments will not indemnify you if you are involved in an off-duty incident with an unapproved weapon. In short, if you chose to carry an unapproved weapon under our CHL, you're on your own.. Be sure to look into your Dept's specific policy in regards..
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the applicable statute.

GC §411.1991. ACTIVE PEACE OFFICERS. (a) A person who is
licensed as a peace officer under Chapter 415 and is employed
full-time as a peace officer by a law enforcement agency may apply for
a license under this subchapter. The person shall submit to the department
two complete sets of legible and classifiable fingerprints and a
sworn statement of the head of the law enforcement agency
employing the applicant. A head of a law enforcement agency may not
refuse to issue a statement under this subsection. If the applicant
alleges that the statement is untrue, the department shall investigate
the validity of the statement. The statement must include:
(1) the name and rank of the applicant;
(2) whether the applicant has been accused of misconduct at any
time during the applicant's period of employment with the agency and
the disposition of that accusation;
(3) a description of the physical and mental condition of the applicant;
(4) a list of the types of weapons the applicant has demonstrated
proficiency with during the preceding year; and
(5) a recommendation from the agency head that a license be
issued to the person under this subchapter.
(b) The department may issue a license under this subchapter to an
applicant under this section if the statement from the head of the law
enforcement agency employing the applicant complies with Subsection
(a) and indicates that the applicant is qualified and physically and
mentally fit to carry a handgun.
(c) An applicant under this section shall pay a fee of $25 for a
license issued under this subchapter.
(d) A license issued under this section expires as provided by
Section 411.183.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Never heard of that.  
I have not met an officer that wanted to get a CHL.  I have met some officers that have a CHL, simply because they got it before they were hired.  As an officer I can carry just about anywhere except secure areas of the airport, prisons, some mental health facilities.  It seems a  CHL holder is more limited to where he can carry.. 30.06 signs can be put just about anywhere, these signs don't apply to LEO.

TX/CHL bypasses NICS check, and allows out-of-state carry, though now with HR218 you can carry under that, but that is a recent development.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never heard of that.  

TX/CHL bypasses NICS check, and allows out-of-state carry, though now with HR218 you can carry under that, but that is a recent development.

I know several that have one strictly for the background check.  NONE of them would carry on it though.  It's a good way to get thrown to the wolves and even be prosecuted in a use of force situation
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes it's true.  YOu have to do all the regular paperwork like everyone else including photos, fingerprints, etc.  You also have to send in a letter from signed by your dept head saying you are not crazy and in good health and qualified.  I didn't have to take the class or the shooting portion.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top