Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:11:37 PM EDT
It has come time for me to get a new coat for winter wear, right now I have a speiwalk ( sic?) and I have never liked it. We can get just about whatever style we want as long as it's under $200.00 and black/dark navy. The two I have found I kinda like are a Blauer and a 5.11 Anyone use either ? I'm up for suggestions, I'm looking for weather proof and warm, I work nights and I'm required to spend a lot of time outside. I also need to get some new winter boots, right now I have a pair of Rocky Portland's and they fell apart after about a year so any water proof boot suggestions would be helpful too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 8:58:49 PM EDT by cmoth]
My dept recently issued everybody the Blauer Cruiser with a windproof outer Taslan fabric and Gore-Tex liner. It has Scotchlight reflective material on the inside of the collar, on the reverse of the sleeve collars and on two pocket inserts. It also comes with a removable Thinsilate lyner. But, they're about $250. They also make a Gore-Tex parka hood that snaps onto the underside of the collar. Nice. Doesn't get stiff in well below zero weather. I've worn it comfortably with common sense layering in -40 degree weather (before windchill). The Gore-Tex hood is like $40.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2006 12:04:16 AM EDT by npd233]
Hey try to see if you can find a jacket called the "FORCE" or "APEX" by NORTH FACE. they're actually made by Horace Small now, It's a duty jacket and looks to be very well made. A coworker of mine uses one and I've been meaning to see if I can get one, too.

FORCE

Apex
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:03:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:
Hey try to see if you can find a jacket called the "FORCE" or "APEX" by NORTH FACE. they're actually made by Horace Small now, It's a duty jacket and looks to be very well made. A coworker of mine uses one and I've been meaning to see if I can get one, too.

FORCE

Apex

Anyone looking for a new winter uniform coat would be doing themselves a huge favor by checking these out. Excellent advice npd233 !!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:03:41 AM EDT
I've been using a Gore-Tex Blauer for 8 years now--it's absolutely great, but I'm not sure it's under $200.

A co-worker bought one of the North Face jackets on close-out. Everything looked great except the epaulets. They looked cheap, they were simply 1" nylon webbing sewn to the shoulders. Looked like crap. The rest of the jacket was typical North Face, and it was a good value. Did I mention it looked like crap? Not sure if it was an Apex, though.

Rocky boots suck. I used to wear Eliminators. GoreTex liners never lasted a year before leaking. I now wear Danners, which have been great.

FWIW, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:17:57 AM EDT
Or you could go old school with a good leather jacket like this:

http://www.taylorsleatherwear.com/Master%20Catalogues.pdf
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:06:07 AM EDT
I just got one of the 5.11 "5-in-1" jackets. It works great in Arizona, but I'm not sure about Ohio. Winter is a little different here!

Pros: Seems to be well made and has well thought out features. I especially like the zipper pockets for identification panels. There is a large one on the back and a smaller one each side of the chest. The pocket on the left side of the chest has a flip out badge tab on it. The jacket also came with a loose badge tab you can have sewn on if you (or your dept) wants.

The removeable fleece liner is nice. It can even be worn by itself has a light jacket if you want. The liner has zippered sleeves so you can take them off if you wish.

Cons: Doesn't seem to be all that warm. I was comfortable wearing it and my body armor while standing outside all night. Low temp was probably high 30's, but no wind. If there is any wind you notice it. It doesn't snow in the desert so I have no experience with that.

The pull tabs on the zippers are too long, especially the ones on the chest pockets. Not the end of the world as you can easily trim them, but they are too long for my likes.

The epaulets look to be fragile if you snag them on something. The portion of the epaulet closests to your neck is only attached with a small spot of stiching (like a button would be attached) instead of stiching the full width. I suspect I will eventually tear it loose.

Neutral: It comes with a traffic vest. I don't understand why they think that is a great feature. Everyone except new hires already has a traffic vest. It would be nice to make the cost lower and not include the vest.

It has small zippered pockets on the forearms. Haven't found a use for these yet but they don't detract from the function of the jacket.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:14:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glenn_r:
I've been using a Gore-Tex Blauer for 8 years now--it's absolutely great, but I'm not sure it's under $200.

A co-worker bought one of the North Face jackets on close-out. Everything looked great except the epaulets. They looked cheap, they were simply 1" nylon webbing sewn to the shoulders. Looked like crap. The rest of the jacket was typical North Face, and it was a good value. Did I mention it looked like crap? Not sure if it was an Apex, though.

Rocky boots suck. I used to wear Eliminators. GoreTex liners never lasted a year before leaking. I now wear Danners, which have been great.

FWIW, YMMV.

Regarding the epaulets... I actually preferred those when I saw them. Smaller, tighter loops mean the shoulder radio might stay put where you want it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:39:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:34:08 PM EDT
Damn, you guys have to put up with some freakin cold, I thought 15F with a lake effect at 15-20N was cold! Well I appreciate all the info but it appears my Chief made the decision for me as I received an E-mail that stated " I ordered you a coat and boots" I have no idea what he got me, I did send him an E-mail with some of your suggestions. I guess I get to play "whats in the box" in a few weeks!

My Chief is a really nice guy but the times he has ordered stuff me in the past has been hit or miss, more hit I guess, so I hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:32:00 PM EDT
I still wear the leather jacket but some days here in Chicago when it's -30 below zero or even less outside the arms stiffen up and take a minute to thaw out in the car,I might look into a new Fabric type jacket someday but they don't take abuse as well and get torn.
Top Top