Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 3:32:47 PM EDT by Beltfed]
For some reason, I can't seem to search the general forums...oh well.

So just curious, anybody have any positive and or negative opinions toward the DEA?

I understand my academic background and work experience would be of interest to them (so I hear). Haven't really inquired as of yet.

Sounds interesting, but I'm wondering if this is a grass is greener on the other side type deal.

Certainly appreciate any thoughts.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:12:47 PM EDT
I have worked with several of the DEA agents here in Indianapolis. They have all been pretty good guys to work with. If you are interested in Law Enforcement there are some great benefits to working with a federal agency such as better resources and federal authority but there are some drawbacks as well such as mountains of paperwork and being assigned somewhere you'd rather not be. I had the best of both worlds for the past year and a half while assigned to a federal task force, got limited federal authority and access to better resources but I didn't have to wade through as much of the paperwork as the Agents.

If you are seriously considering trying to work for the D.E.A., I would recommend trying to get hired on a large police agency and work their narcotics for a couple of years. That will serve to make you a little more desireable as a potential agent and also give you some very valuable experience that many of the federal agents to not get. It takes years and years to get some of the hands on experience as a fed that you would get in short order as a local.

Just my $.02 worth
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 5:18:17 PM EDT by Beltfed]
Thanks for the reply, I agree.......a local PD would certainly offer a better chance at getting hands on experience vs. a Fed agency (sooner rather than later).

But the big local PD is VERY hard to get into as you only need a H.S. degree and the pay is great. When the test is offered every 4 years, thousands of people take the exam for relatively few positions over time.

I'm drowning in paperwork now, so that aspect wouldn't really come as a shock.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:32:54 PM EDT
Believe it or not, you can move and find another LE job. There is more to the US than NY

Everyone that I met that has wanted to do the DEA side, ended up with a large PD, making more money, and not losing their years of service when they switch to the feds.

I have had some exposure to the DEA.....my best experiences which truly interested me were the ops in S. America.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/4/2006 5:43:12 PM EDT by Beltfed]

Originally Posted By RDP:
Believe it or not, you can move and find another LE job. There is more to the US than NYhr

Believe me, I would love to get out of NY.......for the most obvious of reasons.hat
But I'm working on the possiblity.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:52:42 PM EDT
Don't worry about the odds. Trust me, my Department used to get around 1200 applicants for around 20 or 30 positions that would come open over a two year period. Out of those initial 1200, there would usually be around 80 - 100 that would make it through the entire process and onto the hiring list. You'd be amazed at how many people aren't willing or able to finish the process. I'm sure the DEA gets thousands of applicants every year that don't make to elligibility.

It's nothing short of a competition. If you are confident that you're cut out for this kind of work, be willing to go out and get it. For every applicant who would make a good cop there are 25 that have no business with a badge. If you're that one then go get it.

The most attractive aspect of working for DEA (to me) would be chasing the "big fish". Trying to cut the head off of the snake rather than taking bites out of the tail end all of the time. It's very difficult as a local LEO to go after the really big guys, especially if the investigation crosses state lines.

Good luck to you, whichever you choose.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:07:05 PM EDT
Don't divert your attention from the DEA if that is truly your goal. The DEA looks for college grads with some specific majors. You can go straight in and do your time at Quantico etc. You do not need to join a local PD to improve your chances.

In terms of majors it need not be Criminal Justice. It can be accounting - follow the money laundering trail, foriegn language (obvious reasons) - your duty station may be affected, Chemist (who do you think make up the test kits and analyze da junk) and of course and there are plenty of others others.

There are options within DEA, Special Agent is most typically thought of position, but others do exist.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:16:46 PM EDT
You'll need a four year degree, and be under 35 years old.

Good luck. The competition is stiff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:25:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 3:26:38 PM EDT by Beltfed]

Originally Posted By Lancelot:
You'll need a four year degree, and be under 35 years old.

Good luck. The competition is stiff.

Actually, applicants just have to be 37 by the time they are hired, anyway I have a little ways to go (little over 7 years).

I have an MBA, so the school thing is covered.

The stiff competition is another story.

Anyway, I really appreciate the info folks........its very helpful.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:11:44 PM EDT
Do you have any language skills? or did you take a language in school you could improve upon? Local LE work is great "skill" to have, but the DEA is also looking for people with backgrounds in accounting and computers or have a talent with certain langauges.

You might want check out 911 job forums there is a section for Federal LE jobs.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:14:15 PM EDT
The individual agents I have worked with have all been professional, solid coppers.
I have rarely seen the DEA ever put anyone in jail. They like to case someone, then roll them to another shithead, and so on down the line. Very rarely do they ever put handcuffs on people, though.

Even the low scroat-bag on the totem pole of poison peddling needs to eat a few bologna sandwiches in central cell block.
Top Top