BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 8:58:30 PM EDT
There is no "The official ARFCOM guide to becoming a FF"

Any info out there?

TIA.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Check with your cities (or the city you want to work in) civil service division or human resourses.

If you want to be a paid FF you need to take the exam and be put on the list.

If you want to be a vol. FF just call the department and they can tell you the procedure. They are all different.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I joined a volunteer dept about a year ago.  I figured it was a good way to get into it, try it out and who knows, maybe make a career of it down the road.  If not, it will still be a fun thing to do.  Taking firefigther 1 class now.  I would check around your local area to see what type of departments they have.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=375732

A thread I started a couple of months ago, might be some good advice in there for ya. I think "Official AFRCOM guide to becoming a firefighter" just like the LEO one would be awsome if someone would take the time to do it. I know I have recieved some great advice on this board from some very helpful people
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If someone authored the thread, I'd be glad to tack it.

IIRC, Tango7 did a really thorough post on the subject awhile ago and I know we have more than a few hose draggers here qualified to do one...

NorCal

Awww, NorCal... thanks!

Are you talking about this one?

zoe17's questions about becoming a FF

Hope it's of some use, LL. Glad to see you again.

ETA - here's one from Kodiak-AK's questions about FF

PS: Say goodbye to holidays & weekends.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#6]
become a volunteer FF.  get your EMT.  attend a community college for Fire Science (if it's not offered, choose something else, the pursuit of education is always looked upon favorably), talk to full-time FF's where you want to work and ask them what they did to get hired, work in a related field, be persistent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top