Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 11:51:25 PM EDT
Our department is supposedly getting replacement pistols around the beginning of February of '06.  The idea is to adopt the new M&P Smith/Wesson.  With that comes the option of having a light mounted on the pistol all the time while in the holster (will be a Safariland 6004 type series).

I've heard horror stories about the Streamlight clip on lights falling apart when used in a holster.......anyone have any ideas on a better light system that they have experience with?  Deputies will have to foot the bill for the light.....so the $200+ lights are out (unless buying 50-75 or more of them brings the price down).

Open to suggestions........thanks!

VJ
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/313/prrfnbr/1110
these are great lights and can be had for around 200 each if you bought 50-75 I bet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:50:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Surefire X200 A or B with the DevGru switch.

LED, near indestructible, with 50k bulb life and long run time.

The DevGru switch is the ONLY way to go.  Much easier than using the rocker-style switch.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#3]
A note concerning your agency's holster choice for handguns with lights:

An agency bordering ours had a suspect in a hospital grab the guarding officer's gun while it was holstered (Glock 40? with Streamlight M3).  Suspect was able to get his finger inside the holster (Safariland 6004-type) on the trigger.  During the struggle 1 shot was fired, striking the officer's back-up weapon in his back pocket.  Thankfully, no one was injured.

This incident caused us to take all of our holsters of this type out of service.  When we examined this incident further we concluded it was possible for a suspect grabbing from the front to get a finger in between the holster body and the weapon at the trigger guard.  We believe this was due to the need for the holster opening to be large enough to accomodate the mounted light.

When we contacted Safariland their response  was simply to be sure and test and evaluate any holster choices before allowing officers to use them on duty.

Please use this experience when considering holster choice and subsequent training.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A note concerning your agency's holster choice for handguns with lights:

An agency bordering ours had a suspect in a hospital grab the guarding officer's gun while it was holstered (Glock 40? with Streamlight M3).  Suspect was able to get his finger inside the holster (Safariland 6004-type) on the trigger.  During the struggle 1 shot was fired, striking the officer's back-up weapon in his back pocket.  Thankfully, no one was injured.

This incident caused us to take all of our holsters of this type out of service.  When we examined this incident further we concluded it was possible for a suspect grabbing from the front to get a finger in between the holster body and the weapon at the trigger guard.  We believe this was due to the need for the holster opening to be large enough to accomodate the mounted light.

When we contacted Safariland their response  was simply to be sure and test and evaluate any holster choices before allowing officers to use them on duty.

Please use this experience when considering holster choice and subsequent training.

Interesting place to carry a backup.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have carried an M3 light as well as an M6 light/laser on a duty weapon in a Safariland holster without any issues.  I have not experienced any problems with the lights in several years of duty carry.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Good info, keep it coming.  Am looking at the Surefire X200A; wasn't aware of the holster issue, sgtmikec, I will pursue that.

VJ
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#7]
You can get the SF X200A for $180 from LE Distributors. Great, nearly indestructible light and customer service.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You can get the SF X200A for $180 from LE Distributors. Great, nearly indestructible light and customer service.

Best price I've seen yet... thanks!

VJ
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The issue with being able to put the finger on the trigger is one that Safariland is aware of, and I think they're doing a better job designing the holsters to avoid it.  They've put out an advisory basically saying that sometimes to have a light on a gun the opening might be big enough to allow someone to reach the trigger, and that agencies need to check duty holsters before approving them.  

In terms of them doing a better job of designing holsters, I have a 6004 where I can reach the trigger with a gun in the holster, and a 6280 where I can't.  Admitteldly, the 6004 is the model for the M3 light, while the 6280 is for the X200, but the size difference is fairly small between the lights.  (Springfield operator w/x200)

Have you shot the M&P yet?  Apparently, one of the large agencies in my area is going to them, although I would doubt they're going to be allowed to carry with mounted lights.

Hope this helps a little!
Dp
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Have you shot the M&P yet?  Apparently, one of the large agencies in my area is going to them, although I would doubt they're going to be allowed to carry with mounted lights.

Dp

Not a bad pistol, though from playing with it, I get the impression that Smith/Wesson had a bunch of Sigma triggers and SW99 backstraps laying around, so they used up all the spare parts with this new pistol.  

I'm leaning towards the Surefire light myself.

VJ
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry a 92F w/ M3 in an Uncle Mikes rig.  I've never had a problem with it breaking or coming off while holstering or unholstering.  If price is a concern check ebay for a Ledwave Z5.  Basiclly a M3 knock-off but cost 1/2 as much.
We had that exact same issue happen at the hospital when I was a Corrections Officer.  Except our Officer got shot in the leg!  THIS definatly needs to be brought to someones attention next Deffensive tactics class when it comes to retention drills.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used a Glock 22 and M3 set up now for about 4 years without a problem. However what has been said so far is true, you can reach in and pull the trigger while it's holstered, it aint easy, but it can be done. I have also found that sometimes if I get out of my cruiser at the right angle I accidentally flip open the thumb break without knowing it.

As far as the light holding up, my M3 has done just fine, it's been though dozens of qualifications   ( three to four a year for four years) and tons of range time without ever blowing a bulb. There are some disadvantages as you have read, but for me they are outweighed by the advantage of being able to keep a suspect at gunpoint and illuminated while still having a free hand to call for backup. Not to mention that a low-light high draw down is now only a one step process.

The M3's run about $103.00, get one and try it out, if you don't like it you can off load it in the EE for just about what you paid.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The M3's run about $103.00, get one and try it out, if you don't like it you can off load it in the EE for just about what you paid.

Currently have one on my M4 at work.  It rides on a rail and isn't getting much of a beating, and works fine.  I just want something that is going to be tough and live through many draws and riding in a holster all the time.

VJ
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry a Kimber Warrior with a Surefire X200A in a Safariland holster for uniformed carry and leave the light on the weapon all of the time.  No problems so far and I have experimented with trying to get my finger on the trigger through the opening in the holster and can't.  It may just be the way the holster fits around the single stack frame.  My .02...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top