Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:26:30 AM EDT
My neice's husband killed himself last Friday. Thanks man, ruin Christmas for the whole family.
Then I get to go to work and deal with an attempeted suicide where a dude jumped from a tree with a rope around his neck. Fireman caught him before he reached the literal "end of his rope".
19 year old killed himself on the highway by hitting a light pole without a seatbelt on.
Merry Fu**ing Christmas.
Nothing like doing a death notification right before Christmas.

Makes me want to sing Christmas songs.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah those defientely are not fun at all

hopefully you dont have to do another one this holiday season
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Deck the halls with boughs of Holly Fa La La La La La LAW
Tis the season to be Jolly Fa La La La La La
I'll sing along too.

I had a conversation with the wife about death notifications last night.  Been doing lots lately.
Had one of our new rookies do one with me the other night.   It never is easy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Mental Health Day?  Thats funny.

I havent taken a sick day in a year. It is VERY frowned upon here, and next to impossible to do. Vacation is only slightly easier to take, and you have to have three weeks notie to do so.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Dang, I thought I was the only one going thru a spike of this stuff.  Ive had 9 suicides in 10 days.  All GSW's.  Ages range between 17-91.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Why is it that police in general have to do death notifications anyway? I mean, who's bright idea was that? The last people I want to see are the cops and that's for them to tell me I've won the friggin' lottery. But to tell me a loved one died? Man...that's stupid. Let's start sending hot chicks or something. I mean, I'd take it a lot better if it was just a plain ol' hot chick telling me something.

Oh, and so far, I've worn 3 different badges (law enforcement, ems, and now fire) so please don't take this as a negative post or anything.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
It is the season, my dept. worked an attempted suicide just today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why is it that police in general have to do death notifications anyway? I mean, who's bright idea was that? The last people I want to see are the cops and that's for them to tell me I've won the friggin' lottery. But to tell me a loved one died? Man...that's stupid. Let's start sending hot chicks or something. I mean, I'd take it a lot better if it was just a plain ol' hot chick telling me something.

Oh, and so far, I've worn 3 different badges (law enforcement, ems, and now fire) so please don't take this as a negative post or anything.

I do understand your reasoning.  My county formed a "care cottage" to deal with domestic, family, and children's issues.  The director, a female county Investigator also does victim notifications which has worked quite well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
At my old department we networked with a lot of the local pastors and put together out own Chaplain program. When we feel that we may need them we call them out a head of time or have them respond. This has help a great deal. A side benefit is that they are required to do ride-a-longs just like our Reserves. They have developed a good working relationship with the Deputies and have been great to the Deputes as they have developed a trust with guys. After a year or so riding around with the coppers they Chaplains get it and understand what the job is about. It is not a perfect program but the benefits out weigh the problems.

I got sick of the Deputy Coroner side of my old job and left for more money, benefits and not having to do daily notifications. I escaped into the wonderful world of Campus Cop.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, it has gotten worse but I 'm good.
Just thankful that the rest of the family is intact and healthy.
I managed to be off Christmas Eve for the first time in years so I will spend it with the family.
Merry Christmas everyone. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I managed to be off Christmas Eve for the first time in years so I will spend it with the family.

Glad you're doing okay.  Try to experience the joy in your family.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad you're doing okay.  Try to experience the joy in your family.  

+1.

Don't worry about us... we'll be off creating warped Christmas Carols that have to do with death and destruction while you're drinking egg nog.

Merry Xmas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top