Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 6:01:27 AM EDT
This is something that has been bothering me for a long time and want to get your take on it. I was back home on R&R this past NOV. Part of the Honey Do list involved a U-haul which I rented from a Gas Station close to Patrick AFB. FL. All went well till I returned it. I got into a verbal altercation with the owner over the being charged an extra day.

I reserved the U-Haul at 1200 hrs. but did not take it till 1600 hrs. I returned 3 days later at 1600 hrs but was charged for 4 days. I did not know he was the owner and was asking to for the name of his supervisor because he said there was nothing he could do about it. I wanted to take it further because I felt he was being rude and I wasn’t getting any satisfaction. He refused and voices were raised along with name calling on both sides. He told me to leave or he would call the police. I said go ahead, I wasn’t leaving till I got the name of his boss. So………….he calls.

Not more then 3 min. later an un-marked car with a Detective and a Sheriffs Dept. Vehicle with a Uniformed Officer come racing in. I am inside sitting down while the Owner is at the counter. We go out and they take the owner aside because he is the one who made the call. I try to get a word in but I am Ordered to go back in-side and wait. I’m no fool,………..I shut my mouth and go back in.

A minute later the uniformed officer comes in and gives me the run down,….The owner called 911 and said that I was threatening to burn down his place of business….So he asks for my DL and takes down the info and suggest that I never return and take my business else where. As far as the charge for the extra day, it is a civil matter, take it to court. I try to give him my side but he’s really not interested, it’s a case his word against mine. Only now do I find out that this man is the owner. After he is finished with taking down my info there is nothing left to but leave……………so I do, damaged pride, tale between my legs, angry, frustrated and humiliated…the owner wins!

During the whole time that the LEO's where there, they acted with professionalism and with authority. They treated me fairly, with diginity and respect.

My concerns,

I never threaten the owner or his business in any way, shape or form…..since they were not interested in my side, was a report filed against me? Will this come back to bite me in the ass?

I have a CCW, I did not have a handgun or any other weapon with me at the time. Should  I have volunteered that I do have a CCW license to the officer even if I did not have anything?

Will I have to surrender the CCW because of this incident?

Later I thought I should have asked for the officers badge number and report number to follow up with a lawer. If I had done so, would this have been taken as being uncooperative?

At this point I don’t care about the extra $20 plus tax, I am more concerned that this man lied to that extent. I would think that those are very serious charges. It took me three days to get over the incident, not anger but frustration.

I hope nothing ever happens to this mans business because I think they would come knocking on my door, even though I’m in the Sand Box.
I don’t understand, it doesn’t seem fair.

Thank You for finally letting me get my side of the story out.

R.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't have a ticket, you were not charged.  However, charges can be filed in the future, if the prosecuter wants to go to bat on it.  What did the extra day cost?  20$....... Was it worth the stress?  

Let it go and hope the owner doesn't go further, or call your superiors on base and get your butt in hot water (assuming you are .mil).
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Your time started at 12:00.  He could not rent it after you reserved it.  You would have been pissed if he had.  You cannot have it both ways.  Next time pay the $20.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#3]
.oops
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
In Texas we call that a Terroristic Threat, to burn the business down, and you could have charges filed on you right now and not know it until you get a warrant served on you. More than likely they made the owner happy by having you leave and nothing more is coming of it. However there is hardly a time that a Detective shows up on a scene in any department that I've worked at so you may want to call the Sheriff's Department that took this call and find out if you were filed on for anything. If they won't tell you then call the District Attorney for that County.
Also Thanks for your Service of our Country. Be safe in the Sand Box.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My concerns,

I never threaten the owner or his business in any way, shape or form…..since they were not interested in my side, was a report filed against me? Will this come back to bite me in the ass?

If they took down your info, there is a chance a report was written, but not always.  The only way to be sure would be to call the agency in question and find out.  You would have been served a summons if charges were filed against you.

I have a CCW, I did not have a handgun or any other weapon with me at the time. Should  I have volunteered that I do have a CCW license to the officer even if I did not have anything?

no

Will I have to surrender the CCW because of this incident?

no

Later I thought I should have asked for the officers badge number and report number to follow up with a lawer. If I had done so, would this have been taken as being uncooperative?

again no.  Maybe you could have asked if a report was being filed, and if so then asked for a report number.  Asking for information in itself would not be being uncooperative.  It's all in how you ask.

IMO though, the owner was right here.  It sucks I know, and I am not flaming you or blaming you.  You rented it at for 1200 hrs which means it was out of service and he could not rent it to anyone else.  When you brought it back 4 hours after 1200 3 days later, most places will charge you for another day.  Some places will pro-rate it, but not all.   Sorry this happened to you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for hearing me out. Hind sight is 20/20 and in light of all of the comments posted I will have to concede to being in the wrong. 4 hours late, $20 short.........and no, it was not worth it.........I will follow up when I get back in the states, hopefully it is a dead issue, which I am sure it is. The officer taking down my info said that no charges/report would be filed unless I returned...........of course I stayed away and found another U-haul to do business with. (a Honey-Do list is never done).........I am also hopeful that the owner would have not pursued it since I never made the remarks that he claimed.

Let me close this by saying that working in a hostile environment has given me a new sense of appreciation for all of you who work in Law Enforcement. It is easy to take our freedoms and liberties for granted. These Rights are ours simply because of our Birth Right as Americans. These Rights are ours because laws are protected and up-held by you, the LEO. Thank you all for your service and dedication.

Be Safe

R.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is easy to take our freedoms and liberties for granted. These Rights are ours simply because of our Birth Right as Americans. These Rights are ours because laws are protected and up-held by you, the LEO soldiers like you throughout our Nation's history have laid their lives on the line. Thank you all for your service and dedication.

Be Safe

R.

Back at you!

Keep your head down, and come home safe!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is easy to take our freedoms and liberties for granted. These Rights are ours simply because of our Birth Right as Americans. These Rights are ours because laws are protected and up-held by you, the LEO soldiers like you throughout our Nation's history have laid their lives on the line. Thank you all for your service and dedication.

Be Safe

R.

Back at you!

Keep your head down, and come home safe!

+1
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#9]
It is standard procedure everywhere I have worked to take down the parties names and run them
for history and warrants. Like you said it is your word against his. Was a report  taken? Maybe but I bet not. If they did a good rewport they would of wanted to got a detailed statement from you. It was probably written off as a civil matter. Since neither of you had witness' or other coaboration it is a push..your word against his. I doubt if a report was made. Just a note in case something does happen to him or his business. Perosnally I would refer the matter to Uhaul corporate office...push the up button.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top