Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:08:19 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a G27 as My "BUG" and was wondering what was the most popular place and best holster to carry it in. I was considering my weak side ankel so it will be accessible to my weak hand. I'm a big "chaser" so I do loves me a good foot pursuit so I definatly don't want it hampering my ability to run. So do you think maybe I should look at a vest holster option? I really would rather not decrease accessibility though. But hell i've never carryed one before so enlighten me. thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to carry a G27 on an ankle holster on my "weak" left leg.  I wore it there because it was easier to lean down and grab it w/ my strong right hand.  With that being said, I've had a few foot pursuits and scuffles, along w/ foot pursuits that led to a scuffle, in all of these situations it never hampered my mobility nor fell out in anyway.  I used a simple uncle mike's ankle holster.  The only thing that you will notice w/ the G27 on your ankle is the weight, and if you have the sand grips, in time they will rub away the hair on your legs there....lol.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I carrya Kel-Tec P-11 in a Gould & Goodrich ankle holster on my weak side.  The holster laces in the boot and also velcros around it.  It also has a reagular thumb break.  Never had a problem losing the weapon and the other guys in the department that have the same holster never had a problem either.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember  retaining the weapon in a fight.  Now you've got another one to worry about.  
Velcro or zipper on front of shirt and carrier holster on side of vest is where I carry mine.   There are Pro's and Cons of different ways.  
I carry a G 27
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a G27 on my weak leg ankle.  I use a Gould & Goodrich ankle holster that laces to my boots.  I like this because it stays in the same place for me.  I had a fobus and another ankle holster that you just wrap around your ankle and it kept moving on me.  I've been in foot puruists with this holster and never had any problems with it.  I did get it caught on a fence one night and the velcro came undone, however I didn't lose it because it was still laced into my boots!  
I love it, thinking about putting one on my strong side ankle too...you know for balance!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't like ankle holsters, or even tactical holsters cause like NorCal I hate things on my legs when running.  No matter how good they are there is that swinging effect with things on your legs.  I would opt for a vest holster with the G27 if I could wear a vest holster.

We wear golf shirts with our uniforms so vest holsters are not an option.  As far as an ankle holster? Well we wear 5-11's bladed.......so I had to go ultra small.  I carry a .22mag NAA revolver in a small leather holster on my weak hand side in my pocket...... Before the concern about it falling out and such, it does not fall out tried and true, and it is pretty easy to reach and draw with my weak hand.  I use Federal 50gr hp, they don't expand, but they penetrate good.

Don't be picking on me about the .22mag , I had to adjust to the uniform.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Off side on the inner belt is my favorite.......
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the Desantis Insider, an IWB holster, that I had for my Keltec .40.  I crammed the 27 into it.  It fits nice and snug, covers the trigger group completely, is a smooth sided leather with a quaity metal clip, and it fits on the upper strap of my balistic vest.  I then put the lower strap across the bottom of the holster to keep it from moving about.

Works for me.  

Your shirt would need to be a little looser than normal or, do like I did and have a small patch sewn on the inside where the holster clip rubs so it won't wear through too fast. I went through two shirts in 3 months this summer until I had it altered.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Been carrying an ankle gun for YEARS.  I have carried everything from a Glock 26 to a KelTec P3AT to S&W 442, and even a heavy-ass Detonics Combatmaster .45.  The absolute key is the quality of the holster.
Galco Ankle Glove is a good one as is the Gould and Goodrich equivalent.  The king of quality ankle leather is by far Lou Alessi's creations.  He made me one for my Detonics and even as heavy as that pistol was, it rode comfortably and securely inside the off-hand ankle.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't stuff a $500 gun into a $15 holster and expect it to work.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a Kahr PM9 in an Alessi ankle holster, and would recommend both.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a old belly band holster that I cut up and had my wife sew the holster portion to my vest carrier in the front. Works great...easy access...out of the way...and added protection like a hard trauma plate. BTW I carry a G26.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I carry my G26 in a renegade ankle holster on my weak ankle.  I have tried various methods including several different vest holsters, but I keep coming back to my renegade.  I have had it for almost 7 years and it is finally starting to show signs of wear.  Never lost it, and it has been through MANY foot chases and fights.  I wear boots and keep it tight over the top of my boot so you barely notice it is there.  When I wear shoes, it is a bit more uncomfortable.

Since my Renegade is starting to wear, I am planning on getting a Galco ankle glove to replace it.  Basically the same holster but I like the way you can reholster easier with the Galco.  With my renegade I almost have to take the holster off to reholster.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know about a good ankle holster for a S&W 649, the Bodyguard variant with the shrouded hammer? Regular thumb-snaps won't work with these hump-backed monstrosities! (Just kidding, I LOVE my hump-backed monstrosity!)

I currently carry it in a weak-side body-armor holster but it is rapidly wearing out the velcro and elastic on the armor straps, so I guess I gotta find another option. I'm considering a belly-band holster with the band under the armor and the holster poking out on the weak side where the armor doesn't cover, which is right where it rides now. When worn with a zippered shirt, it gives good access for your strong hand but weak hand access kinda sucks. Since the holster and weapon ride in your armpit, it conceals pretty well, too. Trouble is, I can't find a good quality belly band, just the Uncle Mikes crap. Any ideas, or ideas for other carry locations and methods besides ankle carry? I have tried ankle carry before and didn't care for it. Better access, granted, but with my chicken legs, an ankle holster prints pretty badly, too. Thanks for the help and sorry for the thread hijack. I'd planned on starting a thread to ask this then found this one.

Bub
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I have carried my Airweight in an ankle holster, a vest holster, and now, a pocket holster on the weak side. I have found the pocket holster to be the very best alternative for me. Easy to access, very secure, and works as a hell of a handgun rentention tool.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#15]
My Galco ankle glove came in for my G26.  WORKS LIKE A DREAM!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used the ankle glove for about nine or ten years... works great but i took mine to a sewing shop and had them do a simple modification.. they added an extra strap that goes thru a plastic ring and velcros back to itself. strap, velcro, and ring (actually rectangle) cost about $3.00 sewing another $3-$4 and its almost sure not to come off in a fight/chase... i also have used a nylon uncle mike vest holster... worked great for heavier gun like G27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top