Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 12:23:29 PM EDT
I am taking 4 tests for the Columbus Police Dept. tomorrow. One of the tests is called a B-PAD. I could use some advise on this one.

I will be seated in front of a TV and a video camera. I will be presented with 8 video scenarios or situations. At the end of each of the 8 scenes I will have 45 seconds to respond orally as if I am actually the officer at the scene.

If anyone has taken this or a similar test I would appreciate all the advice you could give me. This is the most important part of the testing and I don't know how to prepare for it or what to expect.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The only preparation for this is be honest, and put yourself in the scenario as an officer and do the right thing.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck on the exam.  I have a few friends who are taking this exam as well.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay focused and do your best.

The not knowing what to expect is the whole point of the test.   They will probably (should) make you sign a non-disclosure agreement for this very purpose.  

Good luck.

Norcal
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember with anything that has to do with being a police officer.  Always take the high road.  Legally, ethically and morally.  Do the right thing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You get extra points if you use either of these lines..

"I would love to fix your 15 year bad marriage in 20 minutes, but my Frappuchino is melting folks!"

Sorry, I'm all out of empathy... but I have plenty of apathy left.

J/K Norcal  

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Try and use almost all the time they give you.

Look at the scenario and think about all the options for you.

Don't be prejudice in your investigation and don't be overzealous.

Relax and get used to being uncomfortable becausing talking to a TV SUCKS!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's a scenario test about crimes or accidents, not ethical situations like your sgt. is taking free coffee or lunch,

1. Render the scene safe (need fire?  need gas and light?  need more units? etc.)
2. Crime or no Crime. (do you need to arrest someone or just sort out the chaos and take appropriate CYA action.)
3. Report or no report.  (documenting on paper or just your in car computer, or letting your sgt. know)

If it's ethical stuff always go with the CYA answer.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You get extra points if you use either of these lines..

"I would love to fix your 15 year bad marriage in 20 minutes, but my Frappuchino is melting folks!"

Sorry, I'm all out of empathy... but I have plenty of apathy left.
J/K Norcal  

I would wait until your probation is up.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Well that sure sucked.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well that sure sucked.

OK what sucked?
Did you take the test?  
Were any of us on track?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:18:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I took a B-PAD test and I hated it.  I didn't think it was any good at all.  Talking to a TV is not the same as talking to a person who is responding to your actions.  I think a HUGE part of working with people is asking questions and gathering information from their responses.  I failed  the B-Pad, but tested with another agency that did not use the test.  I passed through that agency and was hired.  In my academy class a Sgt. from the first agency said that myself and my academy partner had the best officer presence of all of our classmates.  When I told him that I failed out of his agency's testing because of the B-PAD, he voiced his frustration over the B-PAD test.  So, if you failed the test, don't worry about it, find another agency that doesn't use it and test there.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Never heard of that kind of test before. How new are they? Are alot of agencies going to a format such as that?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I took a B-PAD test 2 years ago with city of Riverside PD, I hated it too. I sucks trying to talk to someone and they don't respond. It is very nerve wracking because you are responding as if you are a Police Officer, but yet anyone taking this tests has not has any Police training. It is just a test to see if you can think on your feet.

Sigmonster
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top