Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have bought a couple of mine.  They were offered at the same price as the trade value was.  I know one agency around me allows retiring officers to buy their duty pistol at the price it costs to replace it.

I just bought a Sig P220 SRT for $320 (If I recall correctly).  I had the pistol since it was new and the Department went to Glock 17 Gen 5.  At my current full time agency I am supplying my own pistol (Sig P320RX).  So I guess I will be paying full price for it.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have bought a couple of mine.  They were offered at the same price as the trade value was.  I know one agency around me allows retiring officers to buy their duty pistol at the price it costs to replace it.

I just bought a Sig P220 SRT for $320 (If I recall correctly).  I had the pistol since it was new and the Department went to Glock 17 Gen 5.  At my current full time agency I am supplying my own pistol (Sig P320RX).  So I guess I will be paying full price for it.

Mike
View Quote
We have been transferring duty guns to guys that retire at no cost lately. Last 5 or 6 have been handed their gun on the way out the door.

J-
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I would buy it. The logo would be the tipping point.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
We are switching to 9mm pretty soon.  I’ll be buying my Dept engraved G23 G4, for $225.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
When we upgraded from G19/17 Gen3s to Gen4s, they worked a deal where officers could buy our duty gun back at IIRC $300, and if other officers didn’t want theirs we could buy them for $325.

I bought my 17, and a spare 17 and 19, shoulda bought more.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#7]
None of mine had any sentimental value to me.  I still remember the serial number of the G2 Glock 22 I was issued in the academy 20yrs ago.

My 1st issue was a Gen 2 Glock 22 & I carried it for 10yrs.  When we switched to G3 G22s they wanted around $400 for the G2s so I passed.  My G3 never got carried on duty because I was carrying a personal G21 & the only time I shot it was at quals.  We only had them 2yrs & then dept got offered a straight trade by Glock for G4s so we upgraded.  They offered a great price on the G3s, & since mine was like new, I bought it & got a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel for it.  We only had the G4s for a couple of years before Glock again offered a trade for the 17M.  They wanted too much for the G4 so I didn't buy it either.  

If I would have had to use one to save my life then I would feel different but thankfully I haven't had to.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
At that price, hard pass.  I bought my old P226R .40 S&W.  It was in decent enough shape and we bought them at the price department was getting for them on trade in.  I later decided to dump .40 S&W and sold the thing, it had no sentimental value to me.  It took awhile to sell it for what I had in it and the holster.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish I had all of mine,M10, Python, then a 92f.  I have all of them since then.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I asked to buy my issued Beretta 92FS after I transferred out of IA after nine years. $635 ... NOPE. With the option to purchase my own, went for a Blue Label G19 gen 3 for $398. Forty-four months to retirement and it will go to my oldest daughter.

I'll get a new G43 for my sunset years.

Update, when my old unit switched to G17's & 19's less than two years later, those Beretta's went to them for $200.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I was in your same shoes years ago.....had a beretta that was issued to me but was issued to someone else prior....I ended up not buying .  Looking back I regret not buying it just for the simple fact that it was my first issued duty gun.....even if it was a POS.

I also don’t shoot .40 ...which is what it was...

With that Said I say buy it.....if nothing else for sentimental reasons.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]
We're not allowed to buy ours as we transition to Gen 5 19 MOS pistols (thanks Clinton) and I wish I could just because it was my constant companion. My dad has his godfather's Colt Official Police that was made in 1932 IIRC. His own father was a scumbag and his godfather was more of a father figure to him. One day I'll have it and one day my son will have it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd buy it. Then send it back to SIG and have an armorer go thru it.   When it comes back shot it a little and then put it in the safe for the kids or grand kids.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Few years ago we swapped our G22 3rd gens for G17 4th gens.  Even though our G22's had no agency markings on them our agency insisted they be melted down as "we don't want any gun issued to us being linked in a crime".  I would've paid msrp for my old G22.  It shot a bit better than my G17Gen4 and it protected me for several years.  Three or four decades ago they let officers by their old ruger wheel guns (which were engraved with the dept badge).  Can't have that now.  To show how stupid our duty handgun policy is we have 1200+ officers and duty guns have the NY1 trigger.  Hopefully they finally realize how stupid it is to have that garbage trigger and go with a normal one.
View Quote

We ditched the NY triggers on the gen4s.   They bought them with them but after the first quals they went to standard triggers or at least a lot smoother than the NY.  My old gen 2 with thousands of rounds through it was lighter because they were wore out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#15]
We've always been given the option of buying our gun back when we switch over.

We just traded in our old gen3 31s (plus four gen4 31s I was testing) for new gen4 31s.  I bought my gen4 31 back for $230+tax.

When someone retires, it's in our contract they can buy their duty gun back for $50 with firing pin removed.    As soon as management hands it to them, I reinstall the firing pin.  It's a stupid thing.

We're debating what to do about RMRs now that we're issuing them and if the officers can buy those back for another $50.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#16]
They never let us buy ours.  I would have.  It would be a good family heirloom, for my kids and grandkids, I would hope.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:25:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm issued a Gen 4 17 and plan to buy mine when it gets cycled through, it gets inspected annually and is well taken care of by the armorer.

ETA... If you make it to retirement with our agency they will give it to you at retirement.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#18]
My agency gives you your duty weapon for a dollar On retirement.  You also receive a cute proclamation from the county commissioners thank you for your service and Declaring the pistol has been given to you to thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Chowser:
We've always been given the option of buying our gun back when we switch over.

We just traded in our old gen3 31s (plus four gen4 31s I was testing) for new gen4 31s.  I bought my gen4 31 back for $230+tax.

When someone retires, it's in our contract they can buy their duty gun back for $50 with firing pin removed.    As soon as management hands it to them, I reinstall the firing pin.  It's a stupid thing.

We're debating what to do about RMRs now that we're issuing them and if the officers can buy those back for another $50.
View Quote

Issuing RMR's? must be nice
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#20]
We just changed from G22's to G17M's or G19M's. I stopped carrying my issues G22 five or so years ago when we were allowed to carry privately owned guns as a primary and I made the jump to a G17. Even so, I really hated handing my old G22 buddy in last month. We had no option to purchase our outgoing guns...risk averse Feds...
I would have bought mine in a heartbeat even for full price even though it's 17 years old, finish is worn (almost silver), and the night sights are dead just for sentimental value.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
Issuing RMR's? must be nice
View Quote

It was when the original policy I wrote that was approved.  RMRs optional.  Officer responsible for installation costs (slide milling).

This year the chief made it mandatory and stopped slide milling and it must be installed with the rear dovetail plate.
Well, my slide was already out for milling so I'm the only one with a milled slide, everyone else has the Trijicon RM44 plate.

My way is much better.  Half the people hate the RMR, the rest of us got used to it.  They still haven't sent the instructors to a class.
Hopefully we don't shoot anyone.  I'll be on the stand, what's your training on RMRs?  Call of Duty on Xbox will be my answer.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#22]
It may not be special to you... but your kids/grandkids would probably cherish it
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#23]
We buy ours in the academy, no issued pistols. They’re all personal purchase off an approved make and model list. I was one of the last academies that was given a 500 pistol and 500 vest voucher. Now it’s all on the recruit out of pocket. Good thing is if you don’t like your piece just buy another.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like you have little to no sentimental attachment and little to no interest in it as a firearm so i would say no.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Buy it you will regret it if you don’t.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Carried a gen 3 G22 for my first 10 years.  Used it for instructor school, shot it alot.  When we switched to gen 4 G17's I bought it.  

Later switched agencies and they gave me a gen 2 G22.  When we got rid of those I passed.  It was a beat to crap POS.  Someday I'll inherit my dad's duty gun and I'll keep his and mine together to pass on to my boy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#27]
We own our duty gun.  I still carry it for sentimental reasons
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#28]
It may not be that important to you today; but after you retire someday you may become more attached to it and the memories it brings.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I've bought 2 of my issued handguns. My Dept takes them to our local FFL and gets a price he will pay to buy them. We have the option of buying for that price. I bought my gen 3 Glock 31 for $175 and my Sig 226 357 Sig for $225. I'll retire with a Glock 41 as my parting gift in 4 years.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Take a bunch of pictures of it and be done with it; hell, I sold off all my father’s and grandfather’s Fudd guns because they didn’t fit my needs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Buy it.  If you never shoot it, Buy it. It was part of your life for many years, the memories good and bad, the fun with people you worked with and the stories you will tell in the years to come.  I passed on my issue smith m-64 I carried from acadomy days for 10 years, and a baretta 92FS for the next 10 years.  it's been 20 years since i left the job and I regret not buying them.  My two cents.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Buy it.  If you never shoot it, Buy it. It was part of your life for many years, the memories good and bad, the fun with people you worked with and the stories you will tell in the years to come.  I passed on my issue smith m-64 I carried from acadomy days for 10 years, and a baretta 92FS for the next 10 years.  it's been 20 years since i left the job and I regret not buying them.  My two cents.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#33]
For sentimental purposes I purchased my first duty-issued weapon, a Glock 21 Gen 3. I wasn't it's first user obviously. To each their own.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Sometimes department has a few guns that are unissued for the same price as what your pistol would cost you.  One of the departments near me traded in all their Glocks a few years ago and you could buy a department G27 for $310.   They had several that were like new, but many of the guys passed on them.  The company supplying the new guns gave officers first dibs on the traded in Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I would buy it on the sole fact that it has agency markings.

It will mean more down the road.

I wish I would have bought more than just my freshman yearbook.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought my old duty gun.  It's a Gen 3 Glock 22 and it was brand new when I got it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I didn't get a chance to buy my first issued weapon. When I started, the dept. was switching from S&W 5946 9mms to S&W 4043 .40 calibers. My class was the first to get the 4043s. They had aluminum alloy frames. I was shooting a lot back then, so my pistol was the first one that cracked the frame. I turned it in and was issued another one. When the dept. switched from S&W to Sigs, I didn't bother to buy the one I was carrying at the time. I was not a fan of the S&W, or any DAO pistol, for that matter. Right now, the dept. issues the Sig P229R DAK in .40 cal. When I retire, I'll probably buy whatever the dept. is issuing (since I know it will be some DAO type) strictly to use in the annual quals. Other than that, it will sit in the safe and I'll carry something I like.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Just buy it
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top