Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 4:44:14 AM EDT
We are suppose to be getting some of these tazers shortly and I don't know if there are any on the street yet or if this is a new item. It has a big brother the M26 which we have a few of but the X26 is much smaller with the same power. It will be a good choice for on the belt carry if it works like the demo tape shows.

Its kind of scary looking to begin with. You wouldnt know if you were going to  be tazed or vaporized.

Anyone use one yet ???
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got my ass lit up a few days ago.
Glad I took off my armor shirt before I got shot:
It would have ruined it.

The X model is also almost twice as much, so I don't know if we will get them.

We're lucky to have M series.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you guys have to get zapped in order to carry them?  We are getting some and they haven't said whether we have to take a hit or not.  They make us get sprayed to carry OC, so I'm starting to wonder.....

How hard is it to get the barbs out?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Jay did you say you were glad you took off your shirt or shorts before you ruined them when you got tased???[:D]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jay did you say you were glad you took off your shirt or shorts before you ruined them when you got tased???[:D]
View Quote

Very Funny:
Shirt.

The little holes would have grown to monsters in my armor shirt.

Everyone on our agency has to ride it, but it is an option to get shot with it.

As far as I know, only 4 people on our agency (not includung instructors) have actually got shot.
The rest did the "hold the probe" thing

Only one of our Ninja's took the shot:
The rest just rode it:
Bunch of pussies.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it just feel like a stun gun?  I imagine you don't feel the sticks for the electricity....
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a Taser Instructor.  Taser International's policy is they "recommend that an officer take a hit fromt he Taser".  
 We ordered 5 solid yellow X-26s for our department in August.  Last week, they delivered 5 black ones.  The Chief sent them back and re-ordered the yellow ones.  We were told 16-20 weeks backordered at the minimum.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:31:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does it just feel like a stun gun?  I imagine you don't feel the sticks for the electricity....
View Quote

It a whole body experence, so you don't feel the probes.

if you get shot, and the probes are removed in-correctly, you'll feel that longer than the zap.

Jay  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#8]
ouch.

How do they define 'correctly'?  IIRC, they're barbed like a fishhook!
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#9]
QuietShootr,

They are barbed like a fish hook, yes, but they (the "probes"), are straight.  The trick is to grasp the hook tightly with your strong hand, (index finger and thumb), and with the other hand, again using your index finger and thumb as in an "L" configuration, stretch the skin around the probe until it is taut.  Then, with one quick yank, pull the "probe" out as straight as you can.  

Remember, the probes do NOT have to penetrate the skin to be effective, so chances are, you won't even have to remove the probes from the epidermal area, depending on the thickness of clothing that the perp is wearing.  

Feeling the effects of the M26 "Advanced Taser" instantly makes you a believer, especially if you get the full 5 second cycle.  You really have to experience it yourself to know what I'm talking about.  

Bud  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I heard we dont have to get zapped with it. We had a bad experience several years ago when they made you run through a tunnel with teargas. One deputy was over sensitive to it and it ruined him. His lungs turned to shit and had to retire due to unable to breath. I think he also had top move out west due to the dryer air.

I don't think we use deputies for guniea pigs anymore, as they probably don't want to get sued
again.

I am looking forward to trying one out, but not on the good guys.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I was shot 4 days ago as part of a demo for our commission to officially approve use using them. The M26 was used on me and I believe it is like $500. The size of the M26 is similar to a fullsize handgun. The X26? is much smaller, but like others have said, are also double the price.

The 'prongs' which shot out of the taser created a very small (less that 1/8") hole in my shirt. I did not even remember getting hit with the prongs and removing them was painless also, just a slight 'tug', and really no pain at all. The prongs created about a 1/2" sized 'welt' on my skin. But almost immediately after the 5 second burst and taser shot off, the I did not feel any pain, headaches, etc. I just wondered what the hell just happened!!!

Very odd experience. Nothing like getting shocked by normal household electrical current. Just plain nasty. Like an electrical jackhammer pounding every square inch of you body.

Very cool tool and very effective. There is no way I could have fought or kept resisting during the 5 second burst. Great tool ,get one if you can.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I didnt have to get zapped to be "qualified", but they did offer to allow everyone.

I am a punk when it comes to electricity, took me years to finally zap myself with the ERD "stun gun" we carried for so long. I opted out, though most opted to hold the darts for a second or two of juice. None opted to get shot with it and ride the 5 seconds.

I ususally stand that officers who carry such things should experience the effects themselves, but could not bring myself to get hit with the taser, after watching several demos. Im a puss......[B)]

After seeing the effects in the real world approximately 30 times, I would highly recommend them, but keep in mind that ideally, there should be two officers present when it is used, one at the ready for lethal coverage should it become necessary. I have seen too many officers use it alone as a "fix-all" for all sorts of situations when it should not have been.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
"I was shot 4 days ago as part of a demo for our commission to officially approve use using them"

I'm with the no shock crowd. I don't like being shocked and will gladly pass on that.  I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot with my .45 either. I don't need to know what it feels like.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:54:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"I was shot 4 days ago as part of a demo for our commission to officially approve use using them"

I'm with the no shock crowd. I don't like being shocked and will gladly pass on that.  I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot with my .45 either. I don't need to know what it feels like.
View Quote

You read my mind.
I'm awfully glad we don't have to shoot ourselves with our duty weapon before we can carry it!
CR
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

[lolabove]

Now don't give anyone any ideas!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

For something like OC, I can see the benefits of getting sprayed during training.  Overspray and discharges during scuffles happen, and an officer needs to be able to "fight through" the effects.

Getting zapped with the tazer is not something that should happen on the street.  There is no overspray to contend with.  Why would I ever have to "fight through" a tazer strike?

Put me in the "No zap" group.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Not to mention, if everything everyone says is true, there'd be no 'fighting through' it anyway.  Anyone think they have the cojones to try it?  All the demos I've seen the 'victim' is just standing there.  I wanna see the victim attack, get tasered, and try to carry out the attack.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]
My Dept has the X-26.  We just completed classes with them.  Each and every officer that is qualed with it has been tased.  There are a few that haven't been zapped yet, but that is only a matter of time.  Peace Out.

Scorpion34 OUT!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top