Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 5:33:28 PM EDT
I'll be heading to Tennessee the day after Thanksgiving and will be there for a week.  I am a LEO here in Texas.  What are the gun laws as far as out of state LEO's carrying?  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response.   I called that number and found that I need a Concealed Carry permit.  Tennessee does not recognize my LEO license.   Doesn't make sense.  I qualify every year at our Police Academy but that's no good.  Here in Texas the CCL course is 1 day (8hrs) with 3 hrs on the range and it's good for 3 years before haveing to requalify.  But my 40 hours inservice with 8 hours of that on the range is not good.   Oh well I guess I'll have to get my CCL for next years trip.  

Thanks again for the number.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as you don't plan on carrying inside bars, schools, churches, and government buildings AND your not drunk and disoderly 99% of the LEO's in TN will not bother you.  Use your head and common sense; just remember if you would have a problem with me carrying there in TX then someone might have a problem with you carrying here.   Oh yea it might not hurt to have some patches to trade with either.

TN's law says that if you use a weapon in a clear cut deadly force situation then you can not be charged for violating the carry law.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey thanks for the response.  I'll be out in the woods most of the week so I guess I won't have any problems.  Thanks again.

Oh, one more thing, has it gotten cold yet.  We just finished dove season in the south zone here in Texas and we were hunting in shorts and t-shirts.  ha ha ha.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Today the temp is in the fortys to low fiftys but tonight its supposed to be 26 here in the middle TN area so the deer should be moving tomarrow.  Wind's kinda brisk out of the North/northwest though too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#7]
There is some kind of bill thats the goverment has before them giving giving LEO's national right to carry. I lost track of what was going on about it and it seems to be stalled somewhere along the line. This would end the foolish state carry laws for LEO.

My opinion here in Florida where we get everyone elses cops on vacation is " carry what you  want just stop to help me if I need it on the side of the road somewhere". This might not be the law but who cares.

Every piece of crap has a gun around here so why would I worry about some out of state cop who might help me out having one.

When I travel I always check any LEOS doing traffic stops along the way to make sure they aren't having some type of problem.  I don't stop to talk but I do take a good look as I pass them.  Never had to stop but what if at the time you pass some scumbag is trying to grab some cops gun and they are stuggling over it. Sure would be nice to be armed and take the scumbag out.
I like quick backup and don't care where he works at !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top