Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2003 7:05:38 PM EDT
I have to provide my own weapons. My question is, after a LEO quits or retires, can he legally own the same weapons? I am talking about AR15 and high capacity mags. I made a call to the local BATF office and got the response of, " you should be all right." Not that I don't trust that answer (ha ha) but I am looking for a yes or no answer. Anyone out there have a definite answer or know where I can find it in black and white.
Thanks for anyone's info.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Your department can give you the equipment when you retire (the mags), they can also give you the weapon as long as it is not a full auto weapon (tri burst can't go either), They can give you a Short barreled rifle and possibly a pre-ban configuration but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Hope that cleared up part of it any way.

Hopefully you won't have to worry when the time comes, just pray that AWB sunsets.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Your department can give you the equipment when you retire (the mags), they can also give you the weapon as long as it is not a full auto weapon (tri burst can't go either), They can give you a Short barreled rifle and possibly a pre-ban configuration but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Hope that cleared up part of it any way.

Hopefully you won't have to worry when the time comes, just pray that AWB sunsets.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info. What happens Sept.15th next year that changes?
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Inane drivel by RipMeyer deleted per request of Striker.

Lighten up, Francis.  He was looking for legal advice, not giving his opinion on whether the law was a good thing or not.  I think that most LEOs would agree that the (so-called)Assault Weapons Ban and the Hi-Cap Magazine Ban are stupid laws.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Blah Blah, I have no clue!

Get Bent!

Edit per Mod.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
God forbid after 20 years of dealing with the scum of the Earth a LEO would keep 3 fucking High CRAP mags, dicklips!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
God forbid after 20 years of dealing with the scum of the Earth a LEO would keep 3 fucking High CRAP mags, dicklips!

Go play in traffic.....preferably heavy
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Go play in traffic.....preferably heavy
View Quote

And who the hell do you think you are, Wimp?  Another non-paying roach here picking fights, eh.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL......the protected class!!![hail2] This demonstrates exactly what I have said in the past. LEO`s on this board are favored for whatever reason and calling them on the BULLSHIT is not allowed. This is some funny shit. I cant comment or have an opinion on LEO`s without my post being deleted.

Is this like your secret little spot where you guys can run and hide, Talk among yourselves with that funny little CB radio talk?

LOL

OK I guess I will leave you guys alone before I get banned for my wild and crazy outburst.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#11]
AND DON'T FORGET IT!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Jealousy will get you no where :)
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
My father flew in the navy, and went on to the airlines. He knows police and ATF guys because the carry around Air Marshalls(a guy in a hawaiin shirt packing on the plain, sole purpose is stop a revolt in the plane) and he had an ex-atf guy and a ex-SWAT guy on for the ride once. He was talking to the SWAT guy after the flight, and he said he was gifted his MP5 and still receives ammo in the mail. He didnt say whether it was a post sample or not.[moon]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw the statue somewhere that said provided that you retired in good standing, the dept can transfer the weapon to you as a retirement gift.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top