Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/12/2003 1:44:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:47:39 PM EDT
Also,
Because some of us weren’t mentally made to work in a cubicle all our lives.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:12:51 PM EDT
Maybe because we think we look good in those "jackboots" we wear that I hear about all the time.............

If y'all get a minute--give a prayer or thought to Desmond J.--N.O.P.D.--he's in the hospital tonight with two bullet wounds. They say he'll be ok, but I know he ain't where he wants to be right now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:56:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:02:45 PM EDT
I dunno... better than being an accountant for Enron??

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:30:16 PM EDT
I'd say it's because we like having everything we do hyper-scrutinized and being second-guessed by people who have no clue what our jobs are about. Yeah, that'd be it. Oh yeah, and the 'special privileges'
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:47:23 PM EDT
I couldn't do anything else...I've tried!!

Here are my reasons:

*Able to be outside, not cramped in a factory or cubicle.

*My shift is 5 ten-hour days on and 4 days off, it's like a vacation every week.

*We are issued .45 caliber duty weapons, unlike most Departments who are too afraid of liability to issue anything over a .40 cal.

*Company car. (We get takehomes)

*Great health insurance.

*Access to a locker full of AR-15's Shotguns, and MP-5's. (The AR's/Shotguns, we can take on patrol with us.

*The job is never boring, and you never do the same thing, the same way twice.

*A real since of achievement and pride at the end of your shift, knowing you did something that made a difference.

*The relationships you forge with the citizens of your community.

*If you see someone doing something you don't like, i.e. speeding, tailgating, D.W.I., beating their spouse/kids, you can do something about it and not have to worry about getting arrested.

All in all it is a great job. True there are some drawbacks, but nothing that would make me go apply at a factory or office job.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:19:25 AM EDT
Cause the chicks dig the uniform and the free food
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 11:18:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schv:
I couldn't do anything else...I've tried!!

Here are my reasons:

*Able to be outside, not cramped in a factory or cubicle.

*My shift is 5 ten-hour days on and 4 days off, it's like a vacation every week.

*We are issued .45 caliber duty weapons, unlike most Departments who are too afraid of liability to issue anything over a .40 cal.

*Company car. (We get takehomes)

*Great health insurance.

*Access to a locker full of AR-15's Shotguns, and MP-5's. (The AR's/Shotguns, we can take on patrol with us.

*The job is never boring, and you never do the same thing, the same way twice.

*A real since of achievement and pride at the end of your shift, knowing you did something that made a difference.

*The relationships you forge with the citizens of your community.

*If you see someone doing something you don't like, i.e. speeding, tailgating, D.W.I., beating their spouse/kids, you can do something about it and not have to worry about getting arrested.

All in all it is a great job. True there are some drawbacks, but nothing that would make me go apply at a factory or office job.

Where do you work? *Great health insurance.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:47:44 AM EDT
Well, let's see. One night this week I stood in the dark with an night vision scope and arrested men who have chosen to pursue alternate lifestyle choices in a city park.

Put 7 in jail, cited two others, and of the 9, apprehended two unregistered sex offenders.

One day last week, I held 5 car thieves at gunpoint for almost 20 minutes until backup arrived. They must have believed I was serious, not one so much as twitched in that time.

Just tonight recovered a woman's purse from her mugger, still intact with her paycheck inside. Got a BIG hug for that one.

Lots more examples like those, it's called "Job Satisfaction".

All the crap I catch from ignorant twits does not even begin to whittle away at it.

My greatest fear is that someday I might get injured and stuck behind a desk. That day is retirement day
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:49:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
Also,

Amen to that! After 13 years in a "cube farm" I have decided that I'm not cut out for it either. That's why I'm joining the police academy in March.

Thanks everyone for reminding me why I am starting over!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:01:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dawg_killer:

Also,

Amen to that! After 13 years in a "cube farm" I have decided that I'm not cut out for it either. That's why I'm joining the police academy in March.

What part of TX are you in?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:01:16 PM EDT

Also,

Future LEO with the handle "dawg-killer" - that's too funny - I'm sure they'll have fun with that in GD. (I know you mean coyotes)
CR
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:48:57 PM EDT
I loved the interesting people I get to meet and the great odors they bring with them.

Hey Maineiac!!! Where you located? What PD?

I work Auburn, and Brunswick area.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:07:03 PM EDT

Sunny Saco!

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:28:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:

Also,

What part of TX are you in?

jadams-
My apologies on the late reply. I haven't checked this board in too many days. I am in North Texas. I am applying at the Collin County Law Enforcement Academy in December when they start taking apps for the March class. Where are you located?
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:02:27 PM EDT
Gorham
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:00:15 PM EDT

It sure beats working for a living...BTDT
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:43:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2003 4:45:14 PM EDT by cyrsequipment2003]

Originally Posted By MAINEiac:

Sunny Saco!

I used to live in Saco, moved there with a GF, a month later I woke up and moved out.

Nice little town, I just went to an academy class with a guy from Saco.
Top Top