Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 4:05:36 PM EDT
I just was out the other night and saw some people stealing ANI out of a farm tank. I cant see why people will take the chance of getting burned by that stuff. Have any of you came across anyone hitting a farm tank? Its have to be some mean stuff
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, it common around here.  We have 3 officers  who are meth tech cert., all officers get meth awareness training.  We have had the cold method for awhile.

Cooking of this stuff is usually done in remote/rural/or areas that total privacy can be achieved.

BTW, I know of one guy who burnt the heck out of his hand.  Permanently damaged.

Stay Safe
Art in KY

PS.  Everyone should at least know the signs for a meth lab.  We train our guys to take into custody EVERYONE at a lab, and get everyone the hell out.  Call FIRE, EMS, and the meth guys.  Everyone get ready for a cold shower, it decom time!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Very common here. Many depts just sit back and wait and before long the cookers will come to steal it. Mostly after dark but has been done in broad daylight here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a shitload of anyhdrous that gets stolen in the manufacture of meth. It rarely gets noticed and the financial impact is not that much. However, it's a key ingredient needed and makes for a lot of shitheadds venturing around in farmers fields, stealing tanks (Had someone try ductaping one to a receiver hitch to steal it-worked fine until they went around a curve!), and somehow very few injuries or spills are noted that I see. The shit's nasty though, and very very dangerous. Why more people with it aren't dead, I don't know. Shit scares me, as we were dealing with numerous thefts from the Co-op over the winter, and am waiting to see how long before they try hitting the new storage area this year. Be very careful with any containers you suspect of containing anhydrous. You'd be surprised what it's put into. I rarely see marijuana anymore, but meth is unbelievably common. I can't imagine what it's like out west where it's even more common.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sad stuff. I just found out one of my childhood best friends who I lost contact with a couple years ago was just arrested for dealing meth shit. God I wanted to strangle him.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Had a near fatality from some idiot trying to siphon AA from a storage tank.  Silly bastard did it with a homemade kit inside a closed shed.  He's lucky the workers found him in time .  Docs say he has permanent eye and lung damage and is only breathing at around 30% of what he was before. 22 years old.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:55:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep....it's a problem in rural areas here too.  We have a large amount of property about an hour south of Indy that's out in the sticks..and we've heard stuff from the locals about NH3 being pilfered.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:28:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Bad here too...our Narcs busted 147 labs last year...like some others, you see the addicts running around procuring the 'fixins' there's a lot of rural area here but what's worse are the counties with small departments, there's a lack of 'manpower' to cover the more rural counties and we seem to be chasing the cookers back and forth across county lines...
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
When you mentioned the 'cold labs', is that the old, basic meth lab that cooked with the dangerous chemicals?  I thought most had gone to the red phos. type.  I've even heard they're cooking meth in microwaves in motels now.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When you mentioned the 'cold labs', is that the old, basic meth lab that cooked with the dangerous chemicals?  I thought most had gone to the red phos. type.  I've even heard they're cooking meth in microwaves in motels now.

Cold cooking is also known as the "Nazi" method.

AA and lithium from batteries mixed together, and it just sits there: No heat required.

It can take as little as an hour to nazi cook a small batch of meth.

Pretty soon, Surefire will have to start reporting it's 1.25 per battery sales to the DEA.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:25:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Our county was the number #1 county in the state for Meth production until recently, we started a task force to deal with and now were #2 or #3. We busted a guy for shoplifting tonight that had stole a bunch of AA batteries, he had burns all over him and was "tweaking" like you wouldn't believe.

They use a lot of mobile labs now...in the trunks of cars etc. That way it is hard to determine were the smell is coming from etc. Luckily our retailers keep a good eye on their ephedrine products and let us know if anything is suspect.

We get at least 4 or 5 people a week from traffic stops with Meth on them...and that is in a muny that has 11,000 people and we have about 30 officers.

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a question.  If AA and Li mixed together make methamphetamine, how does ephedrine enter into the other method?  Seems to me that you'd be getting a different compound entirely.  Or are there several different products, similar in effect, that are all generically known as 'meth'?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quietshooter and others,

Don't just check the "sticks" for meth. A house right across the street from Southport Middle School got busted for Meth cooking recently. The school is in the southern part of Indpls./Marion Co. Indiana. Just a 20-30 min. drive to downtown Indy. Those F---ers should rot. If I remember right they had to either evac the school while confinscating everything or plan the raid during a weekend to minimize the risk to the school.

I think hunting permits should be issued to the farmers that have meth precursors stolen.

Edited to add: I believe they also had IED's and boobytraps as well. I've slept since then though so I might be mistaken.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
nice.  

You make some excellent points.  I tend to stay out of Indy except for going to work, and I work on the Southside.  I'm a lot more likely to run up on assholes cooking in the woods than I would in town.  We do periodic sweeps of our property in Owen county just for safety's sake.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I think hunting permits should be issued to the farmers that have meth precursors stolen.

Yeah...wonder which ATF form I'd need to legally construct an IED...
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:19:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They use a lot of mobile labs now...in the trunks of cars etc. That way it is hard to determine were the smell is coming from etc.

What does it smell like ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#17]
ammonia.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ammonia.

oh great. all the dirty Butch's Bore Shine patches ...the garbage man probably thinks I have a meth lab.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Meltdown, That's nothing compared to the stuff that goes out in my trash. Empty cartons form cases of ammo, empty 8lb jugs of gunpowder, old brass, defective reloads(soaked in oil for safety), rifle boxes, and numerous other things that could be seen as hinky in such large quanities. I'm surprised I haven't had a no-knock yet.

Luckily I shred all the revised plans to take over the world before I dispose of them. J/K

Hold on, I think someone is at the door now....
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They use a lot of mobile labs now...in the trunks of cars etc. That way it is hard to determine were the smell is coming from etc.

What does it smell like ?

Yep, it smells like ammonia, or so people say it smells like "Cat Piss", either way you can't miss it.

Look for a lot of empty cans of starter fluid, coffee filters with a reddish/brown color to them, lots of empty containers of coleman fuel oil, etc. If you see any of these things in large amounts call your local law enforcement, cuz' you found yourself a "Lab"

p.s. Or just toss a road flare into the residence.....problem solved......
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I work on an Ag. Crimes Unit. We are part of an 8 county Ag. Crimes Task Force. My unit is housed with our Narc unit so we end up going on each others warrants. They look for drugs and we look for stolen property. Works out very well for both teams. The last lab I helped out on the cookers was using an arbor press to squeeze out the excess “juice” in their meth. They were making one pound blocks. If I remember right they were getting 8-10 blocks per cook. The cooking mantels were almost too big to fit in the bed of my ford F-150. We had to haul them one at a time. Supper Labs are so common that no one gets worked up over a Nazi lab any more. We have started to find extraction (recycling) labs. These guys buy off the waist product from the main cookers. Then they extract what meth is left in the waist.

Last year I started finding guys keeping milk jugs full of urine in there bedrooms. I asked on of our Narcs about it. He told me that the Cranksters have found a way of extracting unprocessed meth out of their own urine.

The possession of 38 grams has been successfully argued as being for “personal use”.

Got to love the Central San Joaquin Valley!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#22]
in regaurds to quiet shooters question there are two main ways to make it, the most common being with amonia, the second being whith red phosporous. what they are doing is refining the sudafredrine, because thats how sudafed works it mildly speed up your body to get the cold out, so they are pretty much extracting and refining pure sudafredrine.

p.s. the pills are the main ingrediednt followed by Anny
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#23]
The county our dept. is located in has one of the highest lab populations in the US. We get people stealing from refrigeration and farm supply companies all the time.

Why don't they go snort some Clorox? Same long term effect.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#24]
As a haz-mat tech…and one who unloads two tanker trucks a week of Nh3… It can be some bad stuff! I’ve had NUMERIOUS classes on Nh3 at several Hz-Mat responder seminars, and have heard some stories that just make you shake your head and go ‘Idiots’!

One of the biggest problems is the dummies putting ammonia in ‘Propane’ tanks with brass fittings…. Ammonia attacks and corrodes brass!  Usually this starts from the inside out, and it makes it difficult to assess the integrity of the valve from outside appearances!

So if you guys happen upon the scene of a lab with propane cylinders, be careful in handling them!

The starter fluid, they use for the ether right?

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
A house right across the street from Southport Middle School got busted for Meth cooking recently.

Thats just F'in Great, that school is right behind my apt complex.  They sure dont tell ya that stuff when you move in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#26]
The latest thing here is mobile labs.
they drive arround in pannel wagons or windowless vans, park someplace quiet and dark, cook, take off  throw all waste in a trashbag, and throw it out.

My buddy moved into a new house a while back, that had previously been vacant.
He came out one morning to find a trashbag full of meth cooking waste. Cops said they throw it in front of vacant houses because there is nobody to notice that it's there untill they are long-gone.

Didn't see SCHV's post till after I posted.
must be from near Independence right?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#27]
We just had a guy blow up his hotel room cooking that shit.  It's a shame.  You can't even stay at a hotel anymore without the fear that some numb-nut next door is going to blow you to smitherines.  Luckily no one was hurt except for the numb-nut and his cooking buddy.  But since I work for the S.O. we get to take him from the jail to his rehab a couple times a week.  Of course, on the county's bill.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#28]
These guys are out about every night looking for ammonia at bulk plants or from pigs in the fields.

Not too smart.  Some have ended up dead or severely injured from drilling through the bottom of a tank whie laying under it, and other assorted dumb methods.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#29]
For a while when I lived in MO, it seemed like every week either someone fried their house or the LEOs busted the lab... it was pretty bad.

Some kid at a college in MO set up a lab in his dorm room closet... which ran for maybe an hour before campus police found where "that smell" was coming from.... the retard got busted.

Quoted:
The latest thing here is mobile labs.
they drive arround in pannel wagons or windowless vans, park someplace quiet and dark, cook, take off  throw all waste in a trashbag, and throw it out.

My buddy moved into a new house a while back, that had previously been vacant.
He came out one morning to find a trashbag full of meth cooking waste. Cops said they throw it in front of vacant houses because there is nobody to notice that it's there untill they are long-gone.

Didn't see SCHV's post till after I posted.
must be from near Independence right?
View Quote

Oh goody! Mobile infernomobiles!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey schv, K.C. Metro Meth here. Who do you work for?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I work for a deparment that is in the outlying area of St. Louis. I'm not comfortable with naming what department I work for on this board....lot of "authority haters".

On, a side note...I popped a guy two nights ago with a little over 2 oz. of Methamphetamine. The great part about it is, any amount is a FELONY. I stopped him for having the wrong plates on his car, he lied about who he was, tried to run x2, got sprayed,etc.etc.

This stuff has made marijuana look like kiddy sh*t. I don't even write a citation for personal use marijuana anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top